Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:20:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Creator Permissions
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Creator Permissions  (Read 115584 times)
shig
« Reply #340 on: September 19, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »

About ZUN, I hear he doesn't care about permissions.

As in, there are people that sell Touhou doujins and have never asked him for permission.
Yes, sell. They make money of it.

Or at least that's what this girl I know told me. Will gather more info.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: September 19, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »

It still would be nice to contact him, though.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 18, 2009, 01:49:45 AM »

The doujinshi scene in Japan is a bit of a special case though. Technically they're infringing on copyright but (as someone whose name I can't remember said) "[There] aren't enough lawyers in Japan [to prosecute all the doujin authors]."

Just because there are doujinshi of a given character doesn't imply permission, though I must admit I don't know about ZUN's personal view in particular   Undecided
LazyWaffle
« Reply #343 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »

Does Pixel mind The Underside? No, I'm not using that old lolcavestoryripoff joke. But it's still very much a fangame and much of the game pays tribute to Cave Story (and Earthbound, among other things), despite it using original content and characters.
Facepalm
Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 05, 2009, 07:16:02 PM »

Uh what, IWBTG?

Oh yeah sure. I'd even sprite em and work out the move set... though honestly the Kid would rightfully be terrible and die instantly. Though maybe something like Jill from MVC2 could work.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: December 05, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »

That's why an IWBTG stage would make more sense than a character, I think. The levels define the game.

Anyway, thanks for your permission!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: December 05, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »

How much of IWBTG is original material?
Kayin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 05, 2009, 08:02:29 PM »

Of course, of course.

Though a joke garbage tier character is always fun (IE: Dan). A attack could just be the gun (which does little damage and not stun IE: Fox's B in smash) and his special button could cause random hazards to come at him, but also be used to zone out other characters. Something like Faust from Guilty Gear.

Also: Most of it, I'd say. I certainly stoleborrowed liberally, but the core of the game and the majority of screens have no direct reference to any particular game. The bosses and a few tilesets are stolen. The biggest bit of thievery is the music, really. Most of it is a very simple tile set and the most hated enemies  (spikes, fruit and the moon) are my own evils. I'm not sure what music an IWBTG stage could use, but the style of a stage would be easy to have without stepping on the toes of another IP.

(also I suck at posting in the right thread for some reason)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:06:46 PM by Kayin » Logged
Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »

The doujinshi scene in Japan is a bit of a special case though. Technically they're infringing on copyright but (as someone whose name I can't remember said) "[There] aren't enough lawyers in Japan [to prosecute all the doujin authors]."

Just because there are doujinshi of a given character doesn't imply permission, though I must admit I don't know about ZUN's personal view in particular   Undecided

http://www.gensokyo.org/archives/92#more-92
I happened across this translation of an interview. The very end is most relevant to this.

Announcer: And now it’s time for the Q&A session to end.
ZUN: Aww.

In closing:
To those who wish to make games: Just try it. Don’t worry too much about the details.
If you come to a part where you need to think it out, think it out.
You can’t let yourself get caught up worrying about all the details.
So, I don’t know if there are any aspiring developers here, but please, keep at it.

(Note: the term “derivative works” is NOT used in the American legal sense below.)In general, feel free to create derivative works – I don’t really mind.If you ask, I won’t say no. The basic rule is that derivative works aresomething entirely different from the original. It’s not mine, and thereisn’t really anything I could do to stop it if I wanted to, and it would be bad if I did, I think.
Of course, that's still not quite direct permission.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: February 08, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »

Well, that means it's probably safe to go ahead and work on Reimu- though asking would still be polite.

Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »

ZUN pretty much has given "doujin rights" to any of his work, meaning that you're free to use them in your doujin aka indie release, even if you would be selling it during the latest Comiket. Also, considering that every year there's Reitaisai, which is pretty much a Touhou-only version of Comiket, where thousands of Touhou doujin mangas/CDs/etc are sold, I doubt he'd mind. Hell, he even sells his games on Reitaisai: The latest Touhou, Double Spoiler came out at the last Reitaisai.

Plus I think he'd be too drunk to care anyway.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2010, 07:49:46 AM »

While I did giggle, come on... play nice Tongue ZUN's (or any other person's) drinking habits don't really have a lot of relevance to this kinda conversation.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2010, 08:13:53 AM »

I doubt it will be a problem. Touhou shows up everywhere.

Everywhere.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2010, 08:29:53 AM »

While I did giggle, come on... play nice Tongue ZUN's (or any other person's) drinking habits don't really have a lot of relevance to this kinda conversation.
ZUN's drinking is like his hat, a running joke. That's why I used it separately at the end of my post Well, hello there!

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »

i.e. Y SO SRS  Cheesy

Fair cop, sorry for failing at humour  Wink
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2010, 04:23:23 PM »

I'm sure ZUN would be fine with us including Reimu in Indie Brawl. It would still be polite to email him, though.

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 26, 2010, 12:32:07 PM »

I'd suspect so, yes. As you say, though, it's only polite to, at least, try to let him know  Smiley
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »

I don't think ZUN minds if we use Reimu and Marisa. I mean look at all those touhou fan games (i got a lot of them). those guys don't even ask ZUN for permissions and he's fine with that. of course and email saying "we're using reimu for our game, hope you don't mind" won't be bad. but talking about other things i got a question: why does Pixel denied the permission for cavestory stuff? can't someone email him again?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: May 04, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

No, I don't think ZUN minds at all. It would still be nice to email him, though. However, if people want to work on the Touhou characters before then, I don't think it would be a problem.

We don't have permission for Cave Story because Nicalis, which did the Wiiware port, doesn't want us to.

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 04, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »

Nicalis? but isn't Pixel the creator of cavestory?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic