Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 07:45:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Worksmall team needs (additional) pixel artist(s?) for fairly far along game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: small team needs (additional) pixel artist(s?) for fairly far along game.  (Read 1166 times)
zez
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

playable build ->http://drop.io/gangsource

So, Im working on a game with 2 other people, its fairly far along. The engine, dialogue system, inventory screen/system and basic enemy logic are all coded. I also have a fair amount of in game sprites and tiles completed, and some amount of the soundtrack (ridiculously low priority, I can write music at about 10x times the speed of everything else, so I actually have more stuff written then I need at the moment.)
The shorthand description of the game is  Cave Story.
Basically, its set in Paris after wwIII, all the worlds governments have fallen and some combination of mega corporations, ex revolutionary groups, and street gangs have taken over. The player has a fairly powerful melee attack, and a gun. They can both be upgraded with a series of stacking powerups, and as the game progresses new weapon, movement, and stat powerups are acquired, along with new slots for weapon powerups, so you can equip however many powerups you have/have slots for to the two weapons, making for combination's like homing shots that freeze enemys and explode, or auto aiming melee attacks that cause knockback and allow you to do runby attacks out of old samurai flicks.
It also has some staple metroidvania powerups like a double/tripple/however many jump, dash, walljump, and jetpack; along with some less traditional ones, like shoes that let you walk on walls or the ceiling.
You can also steal vehicles, kind of a hybrid of GTA as a side scroller and metal slug (GTA in that the vehicles arent just sitting around waiting for you to jump in them, at least usually, they have someone hanging out in them, generally trying pretty hard to kill you.)

The current team consists of;
Me - Coding, Sound, Tiles and Sprites
Lionel - Level design, powerups, boss concept design
Mickey - Plot, setting, backstory

Sooo, in case you didnt catch that, it basically equates to me making all the in game assets and coding this thing. Im fine with the current code and sound workload, and have been handling the graphical side of things so far, but I make visual art considerably slower, and with a great deal less skill, then I handle the other two.

WHAT I WOULD WANT FROM YOU:Basically, I need someone/some people who are willing to do one of 3 things. Either start over the graphic side of things from scratch, in whatever style you think would work the best/you work best in, or continue spriting from here I have left off/maybe edit some of my work OR start the spriting over from scratch, working in a style that looks good with the current tiles.
I have no problem designing the tile assets for this game. The current tiles are the result of about 3 days of not very consistent work, and about two weeks of receiving advise and criticism and tweaking things here and there to address the issues that people have with them. They are by no means the greatest tiles ever made ever, but I think they work fine, so this is primarily call for a sprite artist/animator to ease up the workload.
I will provide you with a short list of assets that are clearly needed, and an explanation of the game world. You are free to do what you want from there. Odds are if you come up with a cool enemy, Ill immediately give it some AI and stick it in the next build of the game, provided it at least makes a little bit of sense with the game world. If you come up with sort of a lackluster enemy, or an NPC or something, Ill probably message you about to figure out what you where going for and if we can either tweak it, or in the case of npc's, just figure out what sort of dialogue to give it.

This game is being made in AS3, using the flixel library (because its awesome, and pretty much perfect for the playstyle,) and it has a potential sponsorship with Armor games (based on the engine prototype and one of my previous works,) and will likely go up on FD and kickstarter once there is a solid demo.
In the event that this makes money, everyone working on it WILL get a cut, based on the amount of work they put in (We can work out exact percentages later if your into that sort of thing,) but, Im posting this as unpaid because I personally cant afford to pay out of pocket for it, and there is obviously no guarantee of sponsorship. I suppose absolute worst case scenario we can put some add's in it and do profit share, but Id like to hold off on that idea till the sponsership water has been tested.
I have a devlog up here ->http://www.zez.herobo.com/ for it, full of screenshots and music.

I also have a playable~ish build up here ->http://drop.io/gangsource

Just make sure all the files are extracted to the same folder, and when you run it, it will throw like 3 errors in a row at you. It does that because Im remote loading the level assets (To make it easier to make and test new levels) and have them optimized to be run as embedded strings, because once the game is complete thats what they will be. The file size will also drop considerably once Im running this as a browser based game, because I will be utilizing streaming music instead of embedded music, as I want this game to be fairly accessible regardless of your internet connection, so just bare in mind that about a meg of that is soundtrack and I have yet to fully optimize all the assets. (Right now graphics are between 8 and 24 bit, but I can get them all down to 4 or 1 bit with no loss, its just a matter of editing the index's)

Okay. I ramble. You reached the end of my ramble. This means you are probably interested.
You can either PM on the board, respond to this post, comment the wordpress, e-mail me at skin.deep23 (at) gmail (dot) com, or aim me. My aim is zezmoo, Im on in kind of random spurts, depending on how busy I am.
Animator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »

Currently sending you a PM.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic