Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 08:22:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 516653 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2260 on: January 07, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »

Is k-on fun? I'm hearing about it all the time

k on is fun but tbh its completely devoid of any meaningful content
Yep. Watch it in the background while working on something else.
sounds like zero no tsukaima, I will try it

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2261 on: January 07, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »

Is k-on fun? I'm hearing about it all the time

Two parts cute, one part fun, small band theme. I didn't mind it. Have only seen the first season.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: January 07, 2013, 11:27:07 PM »

And dropped Senran Kagura halfway into the first episode at the cock-gobbling scene (uh, I mean, 'sushi eating scene'). There's only so much juvenile fanservice I can deal with in ten minutes.

That's one thing I appreciate about Girls und Panzer anyway. It has that 'cute-girls-doing-cute-things-in-<tanks/SPAAAACE/ninja school/wherever>' thing going but respects the characters and focuses on them and the story. Also, it sold shittonnes doing so. Hopefully the studios churning out these types of shows will take notice.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2263 on: January 08, 2013, 03:15:11 AM »

And dropped Senran Kagura halfway into the first episode at the cock-gobbling scene (uh, I mean, 'sushi eating scene'). There's only so much juvenile fanservice I can deal with in ten minutes.

Can't say I'd heard of Senran Kagura, but a quick search around Youtube shows Gainaxing and jiggle physics abound. I think I only found bits of the sushi scene you mentioned, but my mind can fill in the blanks.

That's one thing I appreciate about Girls und Panzer anyway. It has that 'cute-girls-doing-cute-things-in-<tanks/SPAAAACE/ninja school/wherever>' thing going but respects the characters and focuses on them and the story. Also, it sold shittonnes doing so. Hopefully the studios churning out these types of shows will take notice.

A *pink* tank. They had a bleeding pink tank. Going by some of the Youtube comments, I'm not the only one that lost it at that point.

Dear God, I don't think I've ever seen two different genres mashed together so forcefully.

Thanks for sharing that one. Smiley

PowRTocH
« Reply #2264 on: January 08, 2013, 03:24:44 AM »

i liked elfen lied
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: January 08, 2013, 04:00:33 AM »

Can't say I'd heard of Senran Kagura, but a quick search around Youtube shows Gainaxing and jiggle physics abound. I think I only found bits of the sushi scene you mentioned, but my mind can fill in the blanks.

It's new - first episode aired a few days ago. I'm trying to watch at least one episode of everything new, just in case. That policy served well last season - Girls und Panzer, Sakurasou, and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun certainly aren't shows that I would have watched based on the premise.

So far:
Maoyuu Yuusha - First episode didn't impress me at all. There's a decent concept in there, but I'm not sure it can deliver. Then again, the first episode doesn't look representative. Will give it three episodes anyway (also, jiggle physics).

Ore no Kanojo etc. etc. - looks bog-standard boy's romantic comedy. Will probably drop quickly or use as Japanese listening practice if said Kanajo slows down a bit.

Hakkenden - Didn't grip me, but I'll give it three episodes. I think I'm not the target audience though, and maybe it will be better when I feel less sick.

And Senra Kagura, which is shit.
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »

what are you guys watching this season? I can't bring myself to give every single show a chance. So far, the only things I'm giving a chance are sasami-san@ganbaranai and tamako market. however, I doubt that tamako market will actually be good. k-on was the first and single anime of this genre I ever really enjoyed.
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »

Sasami-san is the only new thing I have any real expectation for this season. Other than that, there's a couple of sequels to stuff I enjoyed enough to watch through previously, such as gdgd fairies.

I hope Aku no Hana, which is next season, turns out well at least.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2268 on: January 09, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »

i liked elfen lied

I liked it too. I haven't read the manga though, but my understanding is that they cut a major character out in the transition from manga to anime, which might be a sore point for some.

I'm trying to watch at least one episode of everything new, just in case. That policy served well last season - Girls und Panzer, Sakurasou, and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun certainly aren't shows that I would have watched based on the premise.

That sounds sensible. I tend to be a little time-poor so I tend not to keep up with the latest (I don't even know where to look to find out what the latest *is*), so I tend to "discover" things much later. Usually when someone mentions a name, like you did. Smiley

I didn't know it at the time, but with Girls und Panzer, it turns out the clip I linked above was the intro to the first episode. I wasn't even sure it was anything more than a one-shot joke somebody put together. :} I'd hazard a guess that they used that same sequence to build up interest in the rest of the series.

From the looks of a few random clips they were able to extend the gag to a whole series (or two episodes short?). Smiley

Here's one: On why one character wants, despite disapproval from her family, to move from flower arrangement into tankery: "I want to arrange flowers with more vigor!".

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 01:28:47 AM by Garthy » Logged
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:06 AM »

Yeeeaaah, the thing is that it's not really a gag. That's one of the other really nice things about Girls und Panzer - it has a retarded premise but it plays it straight. There's comedy in it, but it isn't 'hohoho, look at how silly this show we're making is!' type humour. The scene you mention is more like drama than comedy.

Really, the show is very much a sports show and loosely follows the 'sports show' formula, only instead of kicking balls they fire tank shells at each other. I would honestly recommend watching it, because it's good (ignoring the two recap episodes because the studio can't get its shit together and that the last two episodes are delayed until March).

You can see what's airing currently here: http://countdown.mandragon.info/
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2270 on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:16 AM »

Yeeeaaah, the thing is that it's not really a gag. That's one of the other really nice things about Girls und Panzer - it has a retarded premise but it plays it straight. There's comedy in it, but it isn't 'hohoho, look at how silly this show we're making is!' type humour.

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that. The basic premise seems to be a cutesy high-school show in a world where tanks just happen to also be considered very cutesy/girly and nobody finds it out of the ordinary in any way at all. Of course I'm taking a few guesses here so far.

The scene you mention is more like drama than comedy.

Quite true, it was a drama scene, it just happened to have a punchline. Wink I like how they went with it- they took the standard plot device of a child wanting to follow their own path in life in the face of parental disapproval (ie. drama), and worked in the tanks-and-cute part of their world (the unusual premise), and bridged the gap in a way that happened to include some clever humour (ie. how do you go from flower arranging to tankery?).

Really, the show is very much a sports show and loosely follows the 'sports show' formula, only instead of kicking balls they fire tank shells at each other.

That seems a good description, from what I've seen so far.

(ignoring the two recap episodes because the studio can't get its shit together and that the last two episodes are delayed until March).

I'll be patient. Smiley

You can see what's airing currently here: http://countdown.mandragon.info/

Cheers for that. Smiley
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: January 09, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »

Yeah, I'm starting to notice that. The basic premise seems to be a cutesy high-school show in a world where tanks just happen to also be considered very cutesy/girly and nobody finds it out of the ordinary in any way at all. Of course I'm taking a few guesses here so far.

It's a bit more realistic than that. Tankery is a well-known sport in their world, women compete in it and there's prestige for doing well, but it's commonly seen as not feminine, despite what the propaganda film claimed. In one episode the first years complain that their boyfriends are put off by them talking about the sport. When the instructor is asked whether it's made her popular, she answers that rather being popular, she gets what she aims for. Yukari, the character most keen as a fan of tanks, had no friends because she's a tomboy.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: January 09, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »

What if there were giant robots instead of tanks.

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: January 09, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »

youre going to be a millionaire some day
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: January 09, 2013, 03:07:06 PM »

I'll start a devlog.

ink.inc
« Reply #2275 on: January 09, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »

a perversion of all that which the monster king holds dear
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2276 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »

That got me thinking. What if Evangelion was played in a similar style?

Shinji trips over when confronting his first Angel. He giggles. It is ADORABLY MOE.

Technician: Oh that liquid? It's LCL. It facilitates efficient connection between the pilots and their Evas, and has a delicate orange aftertaste.

Interior of Eva #0. Rei is immersed in LCL.
Rei reaches forward, and flicks a few switches on a control panel.
Bubbles start appearing in the LCL. Rei leans back and relaxes.
The camera pans closer to the panel, where the label can be read: "Jacuzzi mode".

Due to a misunderstanding, Eva #1 is repainted HOT PINK.
Everyone laughs at Shinji's awkwardness.

Eva #1 has one foot in a nondescript building.
Zoom in, and the foot is in the hall outside of the classroom.
Cut to Shinji, inside Eva #1, who is muttering about being late for class.

Asuka suffers body image issues for several episodes after the volcano dive.

Kaji: Hey, can someone help me fill out this form? I have no idea what to put under "Employer".
Everybody laughs.

Iruel's attack on the Magi is thwarted when the ghost of Ritsuko's mother manifests from the last Magi, and saves her daughter. Iruel is defeated by the POWER OF LOVE.

Fuyutsuki: It looks like we'll have to use the Lances of Longinus.
Gendo: Wait, LANCES? Isn't there just one lance?
Fuyutsuki: No, there's one lance for each child.

Cut to sports field.

The children in their Evas are practising wielding the lances on a sports field. They are having trouble balancing them, and sometimes drop them. It is ADORABLY MOE.

Misato: I want everyone to do their very best.

Asuka: My sync ratio is dropping!
The other children: We will overcome this with THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.
Asuka: My sync ratio is up again! I can be a pilot again!

Shinji stands at Asuka's bedside. He places some flowers in a vase for her, holds her hand, AND DOES NOTHING ELSE.

The ending might need to be changed a bit too:

Gendo: I was heartbroken over my lost wife and your mother.
Shinji: I just wanted to live up to your expectations!
Gendo: I realise I was wrong to shut you out like that.
Shinji: I now have confidence and my own identity.
Gendo: I love you, Shinji.
Shinji: I love you, dad.
Geno and Shinji embrace.
Ghost of Yui appears.
Eva #1: I love you both.
Everyone embraces, including the Eva.

Gendo: I love you, Ritsuko.
Ritsuko: I love you, Gendo.
Ritsuko's mum: I love you, Gendo.
The Magi: We love you too.
Gendo: .... Awkward.

Ritsuko: I love you, Rei. Rei. Rei. Rei. Rei.
Ritsuko is moe-piled from all directions.

Shinji: I love you, Asuka.
Asuka: I hate you, Shinji!
Shinji: I hate you, Asuka!
Asuka: I love you, Shinji.
Shinji and Asuka embrace, and then Asuka slaps him.

Kaworu: I love you Shinji
Shinji: Well, duh.

Kaji: I love you.
Everyone: We all love you, Kaji.
Everyone piles on to Kaji.

Kaji: Oh, and if anyone is wondering, I got better.
Yui: So did I.
Asuka's mum: Me too! Also, I'm sane.
Everyone embraces.

Asuka: I love you Kaji.
Kaji: I love you too, jailbait.
Asuka launches herself at Kaji.

Kaworu: I love you, Adam.
Adam: I love you...
Gendo: Wait a minute, NOOOO!

Cut to black.
ink.inc
« Reply #2277 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »

post of the year, every year
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2278 on: January 09, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »

i was going to say
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: January 09, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »

I just watched the first Tamako Market episode and it's better than I expected. There were some interesting characters introduced and even Tamako herself doesn't come off as bland as the pictures would suggest - however, I wonder why people these days try to devalue my bright anime universe by adding birth marks to the characters  Hand Thumbs Down Right
Well, I like how mochiyucky was generally the center of attention in the first episode. I'm afraid this might change later, though. Basically, I like how everything is about mochi.
Will probably watch the next episode; the great execution is probably what will eventually make me watch through the whole anime (just like with hyouka).
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic