Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 05:44:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInvaders: Corruption
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Invaders: Corruption  (Read 23447 times)
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »

Is that the game of life working as a trail?

OMG, I want this :3

VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 05:29:18 AM »

The explosions look out of place; I hope you change them.

Also, this is looking a lot like a Geometry Wars clone. Hopefully you'll avoid the wrath of the creators.
Yeah I'm still playing around with those. Maybe I will pixellate them like the shockwaves, seems like a cheap way out.

Oh and I hope not to be a "clone", certainly I have cherry picked some elements I liked from the game but the overall "feel" when you play is already quite different. The same could be said for Robotron, which I played a lot back in the day. Smiley And hopefully not to sound like an ass, but when you say clone I think more along those lines: http://www.pixelprospector.com/2010/08/annihilation/

Is that the game of life working as a trail?

OMG, I want this :3

Thanks I'll try to hurry up - even with moving and other things going on.  Smiley

And yes that's Conway's game of life, it is one of 10 selectable backgrounds for the game. (Okay 9 as "OFF" isn't really a background, heh.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:38:27 AM by VomitOnLino » Logged
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »

And hopefully not to sound like an ass, but when you say clone I think more along those lines: http://www.pixelprospector.com/2010/08/annihilation/

I downloaded that Tongue Gives me something to do while I wait for yours :D

Also, I think the explosions work quite well... Would have to play it to be sure though... *hint cough*

Also, if you end up looking for playtesters, I would be more than happy to help Smiley
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »

640KB is enough for everyone - NOT! I am aware Bill Gates didn't every say that fabled line, but eh.
The game's source-code (plain text, no art assets) has reached 653KByte today! Most of it is the procedural generation stuff. (In comparison Earth3D was 379KByte.)

Update time:
Sorry for the dearth of updates guys, but as usual life has taken prevalence over game development. That is with moving around the country, a new job and what not. But fear not - I am extremely dedicated to finishing this, as I have with all my games so far. Well all but one.

Additional Gameplay Mode! DATA DEFENSE
Defend valuable data nodes against an onslaught of invaders, corrupted data fragments and other mischief. Download the valuable data to gain upgrades and of course HiScore. The nodes will be upgradeable with shields, turrets and whatever else I come up with.
This mode coexists with the arena shooter mode that is still in there.

Right now I'm still not 100% happy with how the nodes and the cables connecting them to the player look, but I'm sure I will tweak it to look nice over time, of course any additional ideas and input are highly appreciated! Smiley

To Do:
- Revise online HiScore system
- Complete Data Defense & Arena Shooter modes
- Add algorithm to generate Data-Node add on graphics like turrets etc...
- Generate new seed with a nice GUI, rather than kicking the player out of the game
- Hunt any remaining bugs

Done:
- Make it run FAST - it runs with 50-117FPS with almost everything enabled on my netbook now Smiley
- Add the three last enemies bringing the total to a diverse 15
- Various visual tweaks and tweening. All effects now fade in and decay properly
- Add fully user customizeable control, give the user the chance to tweak every GFX and gameplay setting
- Music, 12 retro-esque music tracks add a nice soundtrack to the action
- Dynamic music scaling, the music adjusts wether things get hectic or not
- Stereo positional Audio, Unique sound generation - behold the power of STEREO
- Player Shield Fully added and implemented can overload the enemies shield's/ laser grids on contact
- Some basic balancing, AI director fixes
- Bug fixes by the truckload

Screenshot time!

The cables can either be affected by gravity (Inverted here):

Or be moved in a beizier-spline like fashion.

Which one do you prefer TIGsourcers?

PS: I'd like to show it off in motion later, also maybe some of the new enemy types..

HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »

Just wanted to stop by and say that this looks great, and I really like the music you have in the trailer. As far as the tethers go, I think I like the second one, but would really have to see it in motion  Wink
RCIX
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 11:06:06 PM »

I prefer the inverted gravity ones Smiley
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 11:59:48 PM »

I prefer the inverted gravity ones Smiley

Just wanted to stop by and say that this looks great, and I really like the music you have in the trailer. As far as the tethers go, I think I like the second one, but would really have to see it in motion  Wink

To help the decision, I made a quick hacky video for you:

I disabled some effects and all of the enemies, so that you can see it better. So don't wonder if the game seems empty.
RCIX
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »

What if you made the effect of gravity subtle? So the chains would slowly pull taut upwards if you stopped, but they can be yanked around if you're moving.
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »

Ooooh... its close between method 1 and 3 for me... Can't decide.... umm... UMM.... UMMMMMM...  Hand Shake Left Cry Hand Shake Right

I think I have to go with numba 1.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

Same here. Both 1 and 3 are good, but 1 seems more normal.
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 04:29:01 AM »

I made something:

Put your ATARI 2600 Joystick Controllers in the fridge and get ready for some smoking arcade action!

In other news:
-I got someone aboard to help me with the sound of things and general feedback: John Nesky Thanks!
-Internet score submission is completed, both server-side and client scripts are up and running
-The AI director is fully implemented and functional, it also directs sound effects like a "tension music loop" when you are under pressure
-I added two new kinds of enemy, one smart the other passive
-Another kind of background, for your tweaking pleasure
-I tweaked the animations of all entities to use tweening and inter-frame blending
-I started balancing out the game, this is probably a longer and drawn out process

The game is definitely getting there and I believe that, if I and John don't get sidetracked, a public beta test for initial feedback is now in the not-so far future.

In completely unrelated news, one of my previous games -- Blobbit -- suddenly has developed a huge Czech following, starting with this rave review. I have no idea why...  Shocked
RCIX
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »

it's only been 3 days, but.... How's it coming? Smiley
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »

I'm not dead - I swear! (Everything, save the fonts, in the below screenshot was procedurally generated.)

Yeah - basically work life has taken over and claimed huge swaths of development time. Work sucks currently, too - thus being a huge drain on my creative "battery". Also I'm jittering around issues such as balancing & the final implementation of corruption etc.

The good news is though, that the game as it is now, is fully playable, has 95% of the sounds implemented and is very fun albeit soul-crushingly hard at times.

Development wise, I made some more gameplay tweaks, giving it a more gradual difficulty curve, also I have added better net-book support (Sub 800x600 resolutions), fixed some bugs here and there - got online scoring ready for "prime time" and coded up a quick score-display website.

Also - I went out and bought my very first USB gamepad, went on to add joypad support. Even though it supports analog input, I find it quite hard to stay alive using the joypad... maybe, I just suck with it.  Lips Sealed

The plan at this point is: Turn off some features (the tower-defense-esque mode) for the public demo, get that demo out as soon as I get the new sounds. I want to get some feedback ASAP and establishing a feedback-release-cycle that will ultimately result in the final version.

For the first version, I guess I'll be shooting for next weekend, if not earlier.
RCIX
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 07:38:50 PM »

I was gonna say release now and let us monkeys give you balance feedback Smiley
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 01:34:35 AM »

Okay, okay - I give up!  Wink

First of all: Stuff that is missing/not even close to final:
  • Data defense mode is NOT in. Right now it's ultra-bugged & crashy. I don't even let my closed-beta testers have it.
  • Some sounds, although partner-in-crime John Nesky is working very quickly, some sfx are still missing.
  • Resolution control, requires ini diving for now, is quite buggy
  • Music is ripped from my previous game and thus unfitting. Any help welcome! Wink
  • Corruption, as the game is quite hard already and I'm out of ideas how to implement it. Guys?

Nothing is set in stone, everything is subject to change!
Also: this game is hard. -- I yell at my computer hard. I warned you!  Hand Any KeyAngry

I am in the process of toning it down, but it still sometimes can get very hard/confusing.
As this is an arena shooter I believe that's a good thing - in small doses, which is sadly not always the case.

Any constructive feedback is welcome! (Graphics, Gameplay, Sound, Music... ok. but subject to change anyway.)
Deconstructive feedback, too -- as long as you make a good effort.  Wink

[Links redacted see first post]

Online HI-Score list available in-game or here: -> Click <-

PPS: Creative ideas for a new, more fitting name welcome!

If you downloaded the previous versions, please re-download this version(748)! The last versions contained a serious crash bug!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:51:58 PM by VomitOnLino » Logged
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 06:19:58 AM »

Hm...asteroids-style controls? At least they're not too bad since the ship doesn't have so much inertia.

The seed does seem to have an affect on gameplay, although different seeds don't always generate very different gameplay experiences.

Also, you might want to consider using WASD/mouse instead of asteroids-y controls.
Fats_
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »

Very cool game! Love the generated enemies! Smiley

It runs flawlessly on my Mac.
and I am at the top of the leaderboard! Tongue

It is difficult, but fun! I kind of miss having sideway movement, but I guess this also makes it more challenging.

Although, maybe this part is under development: In the control options there are settings for moving left/right, but they act like turn left/right. This makes the game far more difficult when playing with a joystick (or with kb-only controls), since you lack the freedom mouse aiming provides. I'd suggest implementing free aim with gamepad/joystick, and perhaps only have "keyboard+mouse" and "joystick" controls.

Another suggestion: Mouse pointer can get lost in the chaos, and it can make you turn direction when going forward (when you pass the pointer). Since the pointer looks like an enemy (same size etc), maybe making it stand out more could solve this.

Overall, the gameplay is great! Looking forward for the data defense mode!
Dozer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »

I quite enjoyed it, but for me it seemed safer not to move because I could only move in the direction I was shooting. I would enjoy some sort of strafing mechanic and I think it would improve the game that much more... Oh and #1 on the online highscore table! (Not for long I'm sure)
RCIX
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »

Really cool so far! a few notes:
 * The ship's physics seemed pretty stiff (acceleration was slow and such). Can they be loosened up?
 * I'd have to echo the desire for a strafe mechanic. A good way to implement it might be to have the ship point to the cursor, and the WADS keys strafe/move forward and back.
 * The main difficulty comes from quantity of enemies and oddness of control scheme (for an arena shooter anyway). If you made dropped the initial maount of enemies and made it ramp up over time, then it would be way better.
 * Corruption could be implemented by either making the enemies "smarter" (dodges your shots and homes in on you) or reducing the power of the ship (shots dont last as long, weaker, maneuvering is tougher).
 * My Xbox 360 controller doesn't seem to work with the game. This may be a system issue, but it works with a game i'm developing (on XNA).
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 06:39:49 PM »

Hm...asteroids-style controls? At least they're not too bad since the ship doesn't have so much inertia.

The seed does seem to have an affect on gameplay, although different seeds don't always generate very different gameplay experiences.

Also, you might want to consider using WASD/mouse instead of asteroids-y controls.

You are right about the seeds not affecting gameplay much, basically I had to prune it way-way back in order to stop the game from becoming seriously unbalanced, as some seeds were ridiculously easy to play while some others basically meant insta-death.

It's a so-so solution, like many other compromises I had to make. Ideas welcome! Smiley

Very cool game! Love the generated enemies! Smiley

It runs flawlessly on my Mac.
and I am at the top of the leaderboard! Tongue

It is difficult, but fun! I kind of miss having sideway movement, but I guess this also makes it more challenging.

Although, maybe this part is under development: In the control options there are settings for moving left/right, but they act like turn left/right. This makes the game far more difficult when playing with a joystick (or with kb-only controls), since you lack the freedom mouse aiming provides. I'd suggest implementing free aim with gamepad/joystick, and perhaps only have "keyboard+mouse" and "joystick" controls.

Another suggestion: Mouse pointer can get lost in the chaos, and it can make you turn direction when going forward (when you pass the pointer). Since the pointer looks like an enemy (same size etc), maybe making it stand out more could solve this.

Overall, the gameplay is great! Looking forward for the data defense mode!
Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah the joystick and keyboard support are only halfway there. I kind of need keyboard support as some of "my" players only have a keyboard available (track-pad), and if I took it out the complaining started. I will try to improve it though. My ideal for joystick control would be FPS-like dual-stick control.

As for the mouse pointer getting lost. Have you tried using another cursor? There are like 12 different ones, some color cycling ones too for extra attention. It's hidden away in the controls menu. Maybe I should make it more visible...

I quite enjoyed it, but for me it seemed safer not to move because I could only move in the direction I was shooting. I would enjoy some sort of strafing mechanic and I think it would improve the game that much more... Oh and #1 on the online highscore table! (Not for long I'm sure)
Thanks.

Controls: Yeah ... see below..

Really cool so far! a few notes:
 * The ship's physics seemed pretty stiff (acceleration was slow and such). Can they be loosened up?
 * I'd have to echo the desire for a strafe mechanic. A good way to implement it might be to have the ship point to the cursor, and the WADS keys strafe/move forward and back.
 * The main difficulty comes from quantity of enemies and oddness of control scheme (for an arena shooter anyway). If you made dropped the initial maount of enemies and made it ramp up over time, then it would be way better.
 * Corruption could be implemented by either making the enemies "smarter" (dodges your shots and homes in on you) or reducing the power of the ship (shots dont last as long, weaker, maneuvering is tougher).
 * My Xbox 360 controller doesn't seem to work with the game. This may be a system issue, but it works with a game i'm developing (on XNA).

Hey you're the first one to complain about the actual physics vs the lack of strafing. Is it the inertia or the slow build up of the acceleration of the ship?

As for your XBOX 360 controller not working, yeah Joystick support is super-rudimentary atm. Honestly at this point you're not missing out. What's your OS though? And how many pads do you have connected?

Strafing Controls:
Okay I decided to give this some focus, as basically everyone said this more or less.

First: I guess I should explain my "intent", which was to have a more "haptic" control of the ship. I'm not a big fan of the controls of most arena shooters where the input is direct and entirely frictionless. Besides being twitchy, there is little finesse involved. I wanted the ship to feel more like, well, a ship.

Obviously this is not working as I had hoped.

Now I have added strafing. Strafing obeys still the same physical rules as the rest of the controls, which I've also loosened up a bit.
But - I find this control scheme to be even more confusing than before. Maybe that is just me, though.

A game is ultimately about game-play in the end, so if nothing helps I will probably have to stick with the tried and true here.

Anyway try it out and let me know if it's a step in the right direction or not!
Thanks!

I updated both versions now, see the original post.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:48:37 AM by VomitOnLino » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic