Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:01:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPortals and tracking my own stats?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Portals and tracking my own stats?  (Read 1143 times)
stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2012, 06:55:41 AM »

Hi folks,
I've recently started implementing my own stats in my games by hosting my own stats server (on Google App Engine) and putting HTTP GET calls in my game (I'm using Unity's WWW). I'm wondering if this is OK for a site like Kongregate? I find its own stats API relatively restrictive (I imagine they try to anonymize stats for public viewing), as I want to gather some pretty user-specific stats for my own education (I don't plan on publishing or selling them at all...they'd be useless to any one else or any other game). So, are portal sites OK with this, specifically Kongregate?

Cheers,

--Steve

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:34 AM »

Pretty confident that nobody gives a shit, but you'd probably be better off asking Kongregate themselves.
Moczan
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »

Most flash games use www.playtomic.com for tracking stats and most major portals doesn't have problems with it.
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »

We use playtomic all the time, Kongregate doesn't mind. Some other portals are really anal about it, but Kong+Newgrounds don't care, and I'm pretty sure Armor games doesn't either.

Nostrils!
stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »

We use playtomic all the time, Kongregate doesn't mind. Some other portals are really anal about it, but Kong+Newgrounds don't care, and I'm pretty sure Armor games doesn't either.

Cool, good to hear. Btw, I'm not sure why, but I've had terrible experiences with Playtomic (free plan). The stats don't update in time, some updates seem to get dropped completely, etc. Did you experience any such issues with, say, Defender's Quest?

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »

Armor was the ONLY one in my experience who has ever asked for tracking to be stripped out. I have no idea why though.

Most flash games use www.playtomic.com for tracking stats and most major portals doesn't have problems with it
I dunno about most. swfstats/playtomic is better and definitely has the most presence on sites like FGL for obvious reasons but mochibot hasn't gone anywhere.

But yeah, I thought the question was about whether they'd care about you using your own home-rolled stats tracker or whatever as opposed to playtomic/mochi, which is a more specific question than whether they mind tracking at all. Right?
Moczan
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:58:13 PM »

Armor was the ONLY one in my experience who has ever asked for tracking to be stripped out. I have no idea why though.
It was some US children protection act that prohibits them from collecting data from players under certain age.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:31 PM »

That makes sense. Is it no longer the case?
Moczan
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:29:06 PM »

I'm not sure, I got that info from FGL chat with one of the Armors long ago, you would have to ask somebody who had a recent deal with them.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:26:30 AM »

I've had terrible experiences with Playtomic (free plan). The stats don't update in time, some updates seem to get dropped completely, etc. Did you experience any such issues with, say, Defender's Quest?

The Playtomic stats for UpBot Goes Up show 310K plays on Kongregate, whereas Kongregate itself shows 369K plays, so there's definitely something going on there.

That said, Playtomic are generally good about announcing problems on their blog and I'm not aware of the service dropping updates when it's supposed to be working correctly.

stevesan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »

Whooaahh dude UpBot is awesome... I love these simple puzzle games

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »

Whooaahh dude UpBot is awesome...

Hey, thanks! Smiley

It's not all mine - it was a team effort at TIGJam UK2 with Luke Davies (lefishy) and Craig Forrester (ishi).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic