Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 03:01:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusiness4 questions to indie game devs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 4 questions to indie game devs  (Read 1314 times)
sudocolon
« on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »

Hello. I am a student of the Texas Business Alliance Youth Entrepreneurship Academy and I have an assignment to interview people of the industry I intend to enter. I am currently a hobbyist, but I plan some growth in the future. To those who have decided to pursue game development full or part-time:

1. Why and when did you decide to become a part of this business?
2. What are some entrepreneurial skills and characteristics you possess?
3. What are your biggest obstacles as a developer?
4. How do you market your games to the public?

Please tell if you have any advice for me, or if you want to discuss your game and what you have done to promote it.

Thank you
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »

It was back in the 2002 and I was searching for a simple DOS FPS editor, where you placed items and built a level which you can then play... Was a big freak of FPS games for my life, especially early id stuff and that program really seemed like mana from the skies.

I love doing what I like - so if I work on something I find interesting and good I'll speend maximum amount of time possible working on that stuff, so I'd say the drive, passion... But it quickly fades away is I find subject boring.

Lack of artistic skills. I mean I can program in html5, javascript, php, c#, but that don't mean shit when I can't make it appealing, even to myself - most of the time I quit my projects because I can only look at crappy placeholder graphics for so long.

I don't. I only finished two small flash games, one was never really publicly released, sitting on my webpage (which is currently not even online), the other was submitted to kongregate withouth any marketing. I guess I has something to do with me not finding it top notch quality, thus worth marketing.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:16:20 PM by davidp » Logged

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:21:56 AM »

I'd been designing games for six years or so and doing so for a living seemed like it could be fun. (Although as it turned out I didn't actually go full time for another 12 years!)

I would never use the word "entrepreneurial" in this context. It suggests a view of games work with an unnecessary focus on finance and business infrastructure. My most relevant skills for games work are programming and visual art.

Development timescales. As a lone developer, project times are long. This means large projects are unavoidably high risk.

The independent gaming press are good at their jobs. If you make a good game, it gets coverage and people play it. I wouldn't say I had a marketing "strategy" beyond that.

Please tell if you have any advice for me

Learn to program. Trying to start a games business without that skill will be difficult.

James Coote
Level 1

Spoon Thumb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »

When I was 16 (I'm 25 now), I just knew I wanted to do more than just play games, I wanted to make them as well. I took a longer road to getting there; I studied Maths and highschool, Computer Science at university. I spent a couple of years backpacking and by the time I finished all that, the industry had moved on. It was no longer a case of going to work for a big game studio. Things had come back round full circle to bedroom coders, so that's what I went for

I studied business at high school. I know how to incorporate, when I need a lawyer, how to do basic financial record keeping. In theory I know all the stuff needed to successfully run and grow the business. I'm in the process of finding out how much that actually holds true in practice Tongue

Not having another programmer to help me. Being able to bounce ideas off someone, having a sanity check and forcing me to code to standards, write code that is well structured, documented, readable

My game is very niche. The marketing strategy is to identify my core audience and market / sell directly to them. I've kinda got a whole jumble of ideas about how to market my game floating around in my head. My problem is I've dipped my toes into various things, but most of it is a full time job, which distracts from coding. I'm working towards a point where things can start to click together and I'll have both a more coherent game and the time to execute my marketing strategy. I'm also fortunate in that I have a limited amount of money to put towards marketing

Specifically the strategy is to throw everything including the kitchen sink at the problem and see what sticks. That will include (in no particular order) Website redesign, SEO, Corporate Branding (logo etc), Product Differentiation on art style and genre, Press Releases, pitching stories to games journalists, helping out on games review sites (conflict of interest?), blogging, facebook, twitter, posting on community forums, helping out in said communities, going to (and possibly stands) at conventions, promotional video, commissioning art inspired by the game (deviantart), localisation, kickstarter campaign, in-game and game-related competitions, in-game events, story writing and game-lore creation and promotion (e.g. writing a short story based in the game universe and entering it into writing competitions), closed and open betas (yes, these are a marketing tool as well as a development tool), pitching for app-of-the-day type stuff / appealing to the platform holder (android in my case, so primarily google, but also amazon and other minor markets), advertising (online), adwords, sticker/leaflet campaign. I'm sure there are some more things I'll think of later...

Please tell if you have any advice for me

Learn to program. Trying to start a games business without that skill will be difficult.

Actually, I disagree. Whilst it is useful to be able to have an idea of what to expect from a programmer (i.e. say when they are going lazy or when they have a genuine problem), I'd say it is pretty secondary to running a business. Now most indies are probably not in it for the money, or maybe have a secret hope that their game will blow up and become mega successful. After all their toiling away, people will recognise the genuis. But really they want to make games they think are cool and not starve in the process

My advice is to private message or actively get in contact with some of the more experienced developers with a few games under their belts and who look like they know how to market, or at least have some experience of what did and didn't work for them. (i.e. don't wait for people to come talk to you, you need to go talk to them). Also keep talking and listening and reading. My biggest mistake was not spending time learning all the lessons that are scattered across the internet from sites like this, to blogs, to more formal industry sites like gamasutra, develop-online.net, gamesindustry.biz before embarking on my indie adventure

Crystalline Green - Android Games Developers
sudocolon
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »

I am pretty small right now. I am currently planning create a flash game first, and then porting it to another place (XBLIG, App/Android Store, etc.) if it is any good.

I'm just trying it right now. Your assistance is much appreciated, and your information is enlightening.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »

Right now I'm not a part of the business, but I begin designing games since last year, when I found some indie games and research about it. When i can show a game with i worked hard and I'm proud of it, then i will become commercial.

I'm studying Business Management, so I have some skills i can use. But apart from my classes, I'm testing myself to check what another skills I can show off in my games.

Lack of practice. Until now, i discover that i can learn programming fast and make some decent graphics, but still need some improvements. And in game design, i'm still a novice.

In the times we are living right now we have a lot of tools. And one of the most powerful are the communities: After all, the news flows like a river with people. Well, that my idea though. Of course, I could find more marketing tools before i go into business Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic