Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 02:12:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Intro, "motion slides"
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Intro, "motion slides"  (Read 1816 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »

I wish to create the intro of my game(Sumerian Blood) as motion slides.
That means the intro will be composed of several "motion slides". Each slide is composed of several images that can move, but are not actually animation or video. Other effects may be implemented as well.
This is the first slide(as a static image). I thought of making it into 3 pieces, the background, the crowd and Gilgamesh+stone podium.
This slide is the first slide in the intro and is accompanied by the narrator saying that Gilgamesh is rising to be a king.
I would like advice on how to improve on this specific slide(and save this thread to get advice for future slides).
Do I need more shades? What to do with the background? I don't have background currently.
Any advice is welcome.

Master of all trades.
leonelc29
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:26:10 AM »

First up, you gonna fix Gilgamesh(i presume) pose. His hand is way too high up and make him look like he's making a chicken pose. Put his hand down a bit or place it on his hip might make it feel better.
Also, he doesn't really stand up straight. This make the poser feel very uncomfortable and he will be tired really quick. Plus, one should really stand straight to strike out the "heroic" pose.
here's my suggested fix(i'm using mouse to draw)

i also darken the "audience" a bit.

and erm...it might help if you learn more about drawing human and pose.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:46:19 AM »

and erm...it might help if you learn more about drawing human and pose.
Would be kinda a long process.

leonelc29
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »

yes, it is, but i'm not telling him to became very good with it only then continue with the intro slide.
xrabohrok
Level 0

ahahahaAHAHAHAAHA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »

Help me visualize this:

, except with only one or two things moving at a time?

If that is what you are thinking, I only recommend going through with it if you have Flash or equivalent.  To do it by hand would be very painful regardless, and to program in something directly into the game is time taken from actually making the game. 

Also, this sort of animation begs for narration.  Do you have a narrator?

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so naturally they save a lot of time.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »

Oh, there won't be deformable characters. Only static images that are moved on the screen.
Think kind of like a parallax background in games. So movement, and possibly zooming\scaling.
And yes, I am going to find and pay a narrator.
I don't think coding it into the game would take a lot of time, not even a little. The most time consuming part is creating the 2D images...

Master of all trades.
dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »

I'm gonna second the suggestion for darkening the more distant layers, although alternately, I'd suggest trying out raising up the blacks to dark grays also/instead.

If you're familiar with a curves graph, I'm pretty much suggesting playing with vertical position of the two end points and shooting something closer to a horizontal line (rather than the 45° default position)

Seconding the careful parallax suggestion, also.

My audio and video work (mostly game related): http://www.danfitzgeraldav.com/
The game I'm working on: Dog Sled Saga
Devlog for Dog Sled Saga: here
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »

Ok, with the help of my dear friend, I have revised the intro's narrated story. She also added the slides accompanying it. I am suppose to make 10 slides, which is... a lot of work. Oh well, I need a bad ass intro\trailer to sell my game, so I must do this.

The tale of Gilgamesh

The unknown mortal named Gilgamesh has become a hero among the Sumerians. [Slide of Gilgamesh being cheered].
The people followed him and declared him their king. [Slide of Gilgamesh crowned].
The creator god, An, favored Gilgamesh and blessed him saying "Gilgamesh you are a brave and heroic mortal above all others".[Slide of blessing being bestowed].
When the lesser gods heard what An had said they became jealous saying "Who is this mere mortal to be so favored by An?" [Slide of jealous gods].
They plotted against Gilgamesh and began to speak against him. First one god said, "Gilgamesh is a drunkard and drinks excessively every day!" [Slide of Gilgamesh drinking].
But An was silent. A second said, "Gilgamesh is insatiable with women and his lust knows no bounds." [Slide of Gilgamesh with women.]
But again An said nothing. A third god exclaimed, "Gilgamesh has created the tower of Babel to challenge the gods of the heavens." [Slide of Gilgamesh overviewing the tower of Babel].
Even at this An was silent. Finally a fourth god declared, "Gilgamesh has declared himself a god and seeks immortality." [Slide of Gilgamesh and Enkidu?].
At this An became enraged and shouted, "Gilgamesh is no longer in my favor for he has transgressed against my laws." [Slide of shouting].
Prepare my chariot of war. I shall destroy his followers and have his head on a spike. For as I have created the Earth and all who live, so I also shall destroy what I have created. [Slide of chariot].

Master of all trades.
JWK5
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:21:42 AM »

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:36:34 AM »

lmao @ JWK5's
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic