Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 10:49:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixellation in games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pixellation in games  (Read 3968 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:52:12 AM »

Nowadays I notice a lot of games that use NN scaling for their graphics, however, one thing that bugs me the most is this;

It might not be obvious to some people, but if you look closely you'll see that even though the game is scaled at 2x NN, there score text is not offset at 2x but rather 1x

I think that this kills the whole idea of having pixellated graphics

NN scaling is mostly done due to a game's artstyle, but if you don't do it properly it really doesn't look nice

I want to have artists' opinions on this, and what programmers should do to prevent this from happening
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:00:30 AM »

Avoiding it on the programming level is generally simple.
Rather than drawing your sprites at their scaled up size, you draw everything at its native size to a texture (or BitmapData object, or Surface, or whatever your engine uses) and then enlarge that. That way it's simply impossible to place an object that half covers a pixel.

Mixed pixel sizes, like the large pixels of the "+6" with the smaller pixels in the rest of the image is a different crime thing.
The ideal of pixel art is that each pixel is carefully and deliberately placed for maximum effect. When you use "enlarged pixels" in one area of an image you're stating at the best way to represent something is as a series of squares, but it usually isn't.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:02:40 AM »

I use BufferedImage then draw it according to the scale amount and write all my pixel buffers on that image which works

But people who use XNA or flash engines or w/e mostly don't bother and have this problem
GenericUser
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »

This is even more noticeable if you rotate sprites:

Sam's got it - the quickest way of avoiding it is simply drawing to a smaller texture, which you then scale up.
Theophilus
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 07:35:56 PM »

If you rotate, then scale, it's not as noticeable.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »

This is even more noticeable if you rotate sprites:

Sam's got it - the quickest way of avoiding it is simply drawing to a smaller texture, which you then scale up.

You really shouldn't be rotating things at this resolution, though. It would look a lot better if you just redrew it at a different angle. The only time it might be good is if you were doing a quick full rotation (or multiple of pi/2).

...Unless you're advocating the use of the bottom right image, which would be completely contrary to what the first two posts are saying.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:51:54 AM »

It annoys me to no end when I see this in a game. It just screams laziness, carelessness and dumb first attempt at faux retro style.

But I usually don't say anything in fear of revealing that I'm the most pedantic of nerds.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »

I generally attempt to clip objects to pixel boundries in my Flash games, but then I also use vector animations/effects, and if you scale the game area all of the sprites are smoothed out instead of giant blocky pixels.  So I guess it kind of cancels eachother out .. >_>
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »

Honestly though rotating at scaled up size yields better results imo because it doesn't rape the clusters in an image. Not necessarily laziness or retro style or w/e. There's a lot of new pixel art that doesn't look anything like old pixel art.

The example shown strikes me as obnoxious though. :/

GenericUser
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »

...Unless you're advocating the use of the bottom right image, which would be completely contrary to what the first two posts are saying.

Oh no, I'm not! It's exaggerated to demonstrate the difference.

I agree though, you shouldn't really do naive rotations at low resolution.
Farfin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

if it's good enough for treasure it's good enough for me

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:00 PM »

You really shouldn't be rotating things at this resolution, though. It would look a lot better if you just redrew it at a different angle. The only time it might be good is if you were doing a quick full rotation (or multiple of pi/2).

You can do this if you are making a SNES like game. But I agree, it looked shit even back then.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »

Also, in every XNA game that's pixellated, this is present, especially for rotation

And in Terraria NPCs usually just don't offset by one pixel at 2x scaling, but sometimes offset at floats which causes them to be blurred

Disgusting
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:16:11 AM »

Disgusting

The word 'sub-pixel' causes me to have chest pain. Seriously the worst.

I use BlitzMax so to avoid these phenomena I use its SetVirtualResolution() function pretty religiously.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:25:41 AM by Belimoth » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 01:20:56 AM »

trololol
ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 01:25:09 AM »

Disgusting

?

subpixeling is a known/respected skill within the pixel art community

example:

by xion

also by xion
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 01:28:26 AM »

Disgusting

?

subpixeling is a known/respected skill within the pixel art community

Shrug I wouldn't know, but if it's what I think it is than it is different than the kind of sub-pixels being discussed.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:30 AM »

This is what he ment I think, the blur effect when something is drawn to be offsetted within a pixel
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:19 AM »

On a related note, the reason I couldn't get into Super Smash Land was that the movement of the characters was per pixel, instead of "per square", if you catch my drift.

Altough that might have been fixed since then - I played a demo version.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 07:55:24 AM »

as far as im concerned, it doesnt really matter as long as it looks decent and as long as the devs arent explicitly trying to replicate NES restrictions or whatever. forcing people to follow a rigid set of guidelines for the sake of being truee to the retros and shit is kind of arbitrary and douchey.

Lo
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic