Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 02:38:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)annoying sprite sheets
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: annoying sprite sheets  (Read 3778 times)
indienewb
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »

I am looking for sprite sheets for my games, I am doing it only for personal use to teach myself how to make games, for personal use only. Anyway, what the hell is wrong with all those who rip sprites from games and then make a sprite sheet from them ? Not a single one I found had a good structure to it, none of the sprites have a defined size, so one is thinner than the other and another is taller then the rest of the sprites, so you have to almost program your animations for each and every image separately. Even worse I find myself fixing and repositioning all the sprites individually in Photoshop and that takes hours. I wanna scream !!!!
Don't they understand that their sheets are useless, do some effort damn it.

Anyway, anybody knows where I can find some good sprite sheets from different games ?

Oh and I am not an artist so please no responses like, draw them your self, or rip them your self, people who rip sprites and then post them online should expect that someone will want to use them so an effort should be made to make them user friendly.
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:50 PM »

ASnogarD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »

Read what you posted again...

Essentually you are complaining about someone not taking the effort to 'properly' structure the sheet so you need to go to the effort of structuring it yourself.
Not only are you not willing to create the artwork, but are not even willing to take the time to structure the art to your system.

Unless I am really mistaken , the aim of the ripped sprite sheets are not to provide you with free art to use, but rather to let you see how it was done and give you ideas you may use on your own art.

You dont need to use profesionally developed art to learn to program, you can use what is usually termed 'programmer art' assets, ie simple art ( even circles and squares, or simple stick figures ) to represent your characters and assets in game.

Somethings are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully.
indienewb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:04:56 AM »

I am going through the effort of structuring it myself, but if I was ripping sprites and posting them online I would at least go the extra effort to make them user friendly.

I am an experienced programmer, I am teaching myself to make complete games, I decide on small projects like a platform game with 2 or 3 levels, including music, sound effects, main menu, a title screen and so on.

So instead doing the things that I really want I spend the time on fixing sprites.
Tifu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 12:47:21 AM »

Possibility: The sprite sheets in question were not put up for the intention of being used in games, but in sprite comics where the issues you are talking about don't matter at all.

Other possibility: Some of the sites are old/started hosting sprites back in the days of dialup and they are far more concerned with optimising space/file size, than your convenience in implementing the files your end when space/size isn't so much of a concern.

But yeah, like ASnogarD said, I think the main purpose in most sprite sheet sites is to learn from the art, to make your own sprites awesome - their use in fangames is a secondary or tertiary priority.

Anyway, what you're talking about having to do... it's not that much effort!  I don't use photoshop, but I assume it has customisable grids like GraphicsGale does? (if not, use that for this alignmnent stuff) - just set the grid up to the size your sprite cell should be, move the sprites into it.  You're done in less time than it took me to write this post =/

indienewb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 01:03:34 AM »

If only it was that simple, you see, using a grid with a single width for all the sprites is not gonna work, for example:

xx|xx|xxx
xx|xx|xxx

the first two are thinner than the third so if I use the width of the third for the whole sheet this will make the other sprites poke through, if I make the width the same as the first sprite then the third will be cut off. Not to mention that there is also the problem of sprites sliding in place.
JWK5
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 01:15:29 AM »

Wow... just... wow...  Droop

In any case, use the spacing of the largest image, let's say it is 24x32. So you create your page that is rows and columns of 24x32. Draw a line at the bottom of each for "ground" (where the feet should be initially positioned). Draw a line from the top left corner of the box to the bottom right, and draw a line from the top right corner to the bottom left, creating an X. The center of this X gives you the center of the frame, you can use this to center the sprites in the middle of the frame which should cut down on some of the re-positioning time.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:23:19 AM by JWK5 » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:29:05 AM »

Tifu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:30:38 AM »

If only it was that simple, you see, using a grid with a single width for all the sprites is not gonna work, for example:

xx|xx|xxx
xx|xx|xxx
No, it IS that simple.  You make the grid XXX width, and you move the sprites into position accordingly like JWK5 is saying.  That is not hard work.  So long as you can see the grid, this takes no time at all.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:36:35 AM »

Most, if not all game engines that are available for download have spritesheets/sprites you can use, free of charge. Like GameMaker, you have that miner/explorer set of graphics that can be used to create a full game.

No need to mess around to deeply.

Yeah.
indienewb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:46:10 AM »

I am using Unity so it doesn't have a built in sprite system.
JWK5, thanks for the tip, this will definitely help me.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 05:54:44 AM »

Try this program out and see if it helps you.  http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=23057.0

BTW, titling a thread "annoying (insert anything here)" is not very productive.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »

I am using Unity so it doesn't have a built in sprite system.
JWK5, thanks for the tip, this will definitely help me.
Download the free edition of GameMaker or others. They are in the install.

Yeah.
Robotwo
Level 2

I'm a complicated being after all

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »

I believe this thread broke John.

May he rest in pieces.  Concerned

What we are is simply a stepping stone to what we can become
i wanna be the guy
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »

INDIENEWB
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »

...you're using Unity to make a 2D game?

EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »

...you're using Unity to make a 2D game?

It can work better than you'd think once you get things set up.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic