Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 03:13:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I suck at coloring/shading
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: I suck at coloring/shading  (Read 4118 times)
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 12:53:24 PM »

Gentleman thank you for the more in-depth analysis.

I AM FREE!
Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »

I was under the impression saturation rises to the diffuse colour and then reduces again, so it's more a curve than a linear thing:
Code:
saturation:

diffuse
              v
max:         ,-.
            /   \
min:       /     \
      shadow     highlight

But sub-surface scattering and coloured light increases the saturation a bit.

Also I had to redo the very last bit of your advice because you didn't even use the same colours or general outline of the reduced image (should have got rid of the black outline, also banding):

Wafflehouse1117
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »

Thank you for all the comments and advice my summer just started so i have plenty of time to learn this stuff.
JWK5
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »

I was under the impression saturation rises to the diffuse colour and then reduces again, so it's more a curve than a linear thing:

Quote from: My post above Paul's, where it says "Edit"
What I was going to say was that, yes you will see a decrease in saturation in the actual numbers (due to the addition of white) but because you are manually increasing the saturation as you add in white you are not going to get the same graying you would by just adding white alone (if you look at the saturation/value box from before you can see that it creates a sort of arcing). It is a sort of counter-balance that maintains the intensity (similar to adding in a warm color with white when painting to keep the white from neutralizing).

Quote from: Robolee
Also I had to redo the very last bit of your advice because you didn't even use the same colours or general outline of the reduced image (should have got rid of the black outline, also banding):

I suspect that crotch-aimed knife that would make running very unpleasant, but anyways I wasn't aiming to create a finished sprite I was just throwing out a quick example (as stated in my first post). Part of the reason I didn't use the colors from the shrunk down colored line work is pretty apparent in your edit: the colors mix with the black outline and become muddied. Instead, the point of shrinking down the colored image (as opposed to just the line work) is that it lets me get a better idea of how the shading and color shifting should appear on the sprite. It is more of a guideline than a shortcut.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic