Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 06:47:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)How to come up with concept art ?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to come up with concept art ?  (Read 1956 times)
indienewb
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:10 PM »

I am not an artist but I can use art tools like maya and model things that I need the problem is I can't visualize my scene environment and so have trouble creating it, I know the mood and the overall feel that I want for it but can't decide how all this comes together so I can't even decide what to model sometimes. How do you guys go from starting with the idea and creating the final environment ?
Rykuth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:16:25 AM »

One technique that I find help in getting ideas from an abstract feeling you have about how it should look to some concrete imagery is a mood board. Basically it's a collection of images that you find from other sources, be it google images, other websites, or even magazines and other printed materials. All of these images should fit with the general mood you are looking for and you should assemble them in a way -- whether digital or physical -- that you can view them all together at the same time. This can help a lot in getting some ideas for a starting place and for what specific objects and images need to be made.

I've usually used this technique for graphic design but I see no reason it couldn't be used for concept art.

Edit: also check through the reference forum, there may be something in there that would help you.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:14:58 AM by Rykuth » Logged
nekokoneko
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:07:14 AM »

Two places and loads of inspiration. Not that its vision you're lacking but more awesome imagery isn't a bad thing.

http://apedogs.com/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=67ffc4ef49164df9fac4de724c0260ef

http://www.youtube.com/user/idiotapathy84/videos
ink.inc
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »

steal from everything

especially animes
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:11:43 AM »

do metroid clones with lolis

nippon superioru, gaijin baka!
fixed
ink.inc
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »

i like you

zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

To be able to draw concept art you need to build up your visual library.
To know how a lot of stuff looks like.
Good places to start are books and magazines.
National Geographic mags have a lot of photos very colorful animals, people and locations from all over the world.
Books on architecture will tell you about elements you can incorporate in your scenes.
Watching movies is a worse idea, since that's already someone's concept art and will be less original. On the other hand it can be quite useful to see how the concept artist has used recognizeable elements to create a setting, a mood, an environment by touching upon subjects that evoke certain emotions and themes within the viewers mind.

History books with pictures are golden for you. Get a lot of those, or go to a public library and look at stuff.
Go to museums. Bring your camera, or buy their photos. You don't need a special camera for that, your phone will do for that.
Even better, bring a sketchpad and draw things. That will cement them better in your mental visual library.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »

RESEARCH. The answer to this is tons and tons of research. Find pictures or even visit places that are similar to your idea. While looking at all of this, certain things will catch your eye and inspire you.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic