Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 03:00:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationWall of the Words [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Wall of the Words [Finished]  (Read 45462 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 01:40:34 PM »

Man, this makes me conscious of my own lack of vocabulary. Tongue Great idea though, haven't played anything like this before.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
tim333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 06:55:06 PM »

Thought this was a cool idea for a game and had to let you know how my play of it went...

First two levels, I breezed by pretty easily. I struggled mightily with the third, to the point where I was holding off multiple baddies at the very last line by holding replacement letters and pasting them in the turn the letter was destroyed. By this method, I just managed to hold out until my 75th turn (the last), when a bad guy got into the final row.

What happened next was surprising. The game told me that I had failed, then it told me that I had won and showed me the credits. So now it's driving me crazy... did I win or lose?  Wink
Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 02:03:42 PM »

zradick - Thank you! Sounds would be a nice addition. I'm planning to release a slightly updated version sometime after the competition, so I'll see what I can do about that. It is mostly clean fun Roll Eyes

Melly - I'm glad you like it. A lot of the words are seriously obscure, but it makes it easier to randomly generate the starting wall, so I'm happy about that. Maybe I should incorporate a dictionary into it!

tim333  - Wow, you managed to simultaneously lose and win the game? That's impressive! It's great to hear that someone has played it through to (very nearly) the end. Thanks for letting me know about the bug. I've managed to replicate and fix it. I think it's okay to release minor new versions for bug fixes, so I've updated the file.

Current devlog: Infinite Puzzles.
Competition entries: Wall of the Words.
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 12:10:13 AM »

I liked this game. I managed to finish it both times I played it but usually was hanging on by a line or two by the end. I think 8422 was my highest final score. I thought it might be an idea to maybe kill an enemy if you could surround it with blocks... might add a bit more variation to the gameplay than just defend defend defend.

Anyhow, good job!

Last release: sync::routine
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:30 AM »

Good game! I found it very compelling because it is does what it needs to do so I could just focus on some casual fun. I dare say that if you add sound and start adding deluxe features this could be commercially attractive as it is so easy to pitch at the casual scrabble/puzzle crowd.

Well done you!

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 02:18:43 AM »

I enjoyed this game. It stole about 30 minutes from me:)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 09:25:12 AM »

Nice and good idea. Can become quite addictive after a while.
Only probalems are a few niggles with gameplay : The starting letters are more annoying than helping sometimes. Sometimes it's almost impossible to place a word that helps. Maybe each completed word should give you a little help even if not directly blocking the assailants.
Dragging of letters is too sluggish.
Overall very fun, needs more polishing. Could become a very good idea.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Entar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 08:00:24 PM »

Pretty fun game, like a cross between Boggle and Defend your Castle or something.  I agree with moi's comment, that it's often difficult to place a word that helps block the column that an attacker is coming down.  Other than that, though, creative idea, good fun.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 02:10:38 AM »

This is totally getting one of my votes! Almost everything about it just feels "right", gameplay-wise.

I beat it on my first try with a score of 4671, but I was two only spaces from loosing at that point! I'm very glad it has an actual ending, that kept me interested till the very end - when games like this go on forever I always loose interest after a few minutes.

moi and Entar: I didn't experience that as a problem. You only need to get a few blocks in their attack-path, and then you can spend your time building combos on the sides that give the defending blocks massive buffs!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
tim333
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »

Hey, thanks for putting me in the credits. I like this little game, word games are cool and I haven't seen one quite like this. Count on my vote  Wink
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 06:55:11 AM »

I would pay you bona fide British English Pounds for a version of this with a save system and a bit more variety in play modes / options.

It is brilliant.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 11:58:30 PM »

I think I found a bug.

I had:

Code:
TENOR
Then I added:
Code:
TENOR
AGO
Which of course isn't allowed as "EG" isn't a word. So I deleted the G
Code:
TENOR
A O
And clicked the right button and it let me have that even though it was two separate words.

While I'm here, I'd really like it if there were a dead zone of about 3 squares to either side of the battlefield where I could place letters but where no soldiers would be attacking. Sometimes there isn't enough room to place a word I really want to put down because the battlefield is quite small.

I'd also like to see more useful words used in the randomly-generated wall at the start - or better yet let me make the wall myself in a few turns at the start of the level. The words used are often very obscure and the wall ends up being more of a hindrance than an asset.

Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 11:55:02 AM »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Jimbob - Wow, that's an incredibly good score. Congrats! I like the idea of killing surrounded enemies.

Borsato - The enhanced version will have a few completely useless, but nice things to make it look a bit better. Like shadows on the walls Roll Eyes

moi - I was thinking of adding an alternative method of placing letters. Something like clicking the letter and then clicking the battlefield to place the letter down. I think that would work quite nicely. What do you think?

Entar - I'm glad you like it. I'm not really sure if something needs to be done though. You can already place down words wherever you want to, they don't have to be connected to other walls. Hmm.

Dacke - Thanks for the vote! That's a good score as well, similar to the ones I get. Good tactic as well!

Tommunism - Thank you!

tim333 - Thanks for your vote... eh, I sound like a politician!

haowan - Wow, thank you! Nice to see someone using real money as well Gentleman All my games are free and open-source Kiss

haowan (again!) - Thanks for spotting the bug. I think I know why that's happening. I'll get it fixed up for the enhanced version. Having a dead zone would be cool, but I want the game to work on 800*600 resolution, so I can't make it too wide.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:54:21 PM by Robson » Logged

Entar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »

Entar - I'm glad you like it. I'm not really sure if something needs to be done though. You can already place down words wherever you want to, they don't have to be connected to other walls. Hmm.
Oh really? Huh, I didn't know that. In that case, the gameplay is probably fine, you just need to make that more clear to the players. Or maybe I just missed it.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »

yes

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 12:25:29 AM »

I'd really like to be able to shuffle the tiles around on the bottom pane as well, like you do when you're playihng Scrabble. So, grab a tile, and lonk it down between two others. Know what I mean?

Robson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 03:50:12 AM »

I'd really like to be able to shuffle the tiles around on the bottom pane as well, like you do when you're playihng Scrabble. So, grab a tile, and lonk it down between two others. Know what I mean?
I do! That was one of the things that didn't get written in due to time. Half the fun of scrabble is being able to make a really long word with the tiles... but never finding anywhere to put it! Roll Eyes

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »

Cool!

One other thing is that it seems far more productive to make small words and beef them up letter by letter than to make long words - it's sad to make a 6-letter word only for each letter to be worth 4 or 5 points, when you could have done it in two parts and have each letter worth 10 to 11 points.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 12:49:35 AM »

New bug:

"ath" shouldn't be under scrutiny here.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan