Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 04:38:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCat Astro Phi
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cat Astro Phi  (Read 1806 times)
RichVreeland
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »

Hey Guys! Didn't see this up here, so thought I'd share. Smiley

Play Game (Flash/Flixel)
Grab Soundtrack!

Created in the style of a Gameboy Classic title, this is a space-action pixel-art adventure!

There is much planet exploring, bot shooting, bomb exploding, lazer wall hacking, sentry gun evading, cat finding fun to be had.

Cat Astro Phi is a mini-Zelda in space.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is just some lame Asteroids shmup. If that's all you think, you didn't play it far enough!

Programming, Design and SFX by Rich Davey
Artwork by Ilija Melentijevic
Music by Disasterpeace

Hope you guys enjoy it!  Beer!
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:33:09 PM »

That was some quick fun. I somewhat wish there were a few more levels, but there are enough to give me at least a good feel for the gameplay.

The second level was my favorite, since I could get creative with the bombs.

The chiptunes were wonderful and very fitting.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:16:05 AM »

The title made me chuckle.
Curseman
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:35:23 AM »

The second level was my favorite, since I could get creative with the bombs.

Yeah, the terrain destruction was the best part.
ADDatWork23
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »

Awesome game!  I love how the end credits just kept going and going, I thought it was kinda funny :D

Yeah, I would like to see this go farther with a few more levels. Love the Chiptunes too.
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:34:57 PM »

Excellent soundtrack.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:49:21 AM »

Well I really like a lot of things you're doing with this. I actually had a VERY similar idea to start a game flying through an asteroid field, inevitably losing all your health, and then crash landing on an alien planet where the real game begins.

I also like that you've framed the action in a GameBoy, and while the presentation overall is top-notch, I feel that the sprites are too small to be comfortably playable for me. Looks like everything is at 8 x 8 without being scaled up, and I'm sitting about 3 feet away from my monitor and my eyesight is good enough to read the text I'm typing now, but that's about it. I pretty much have to be right on top of my screen to be able to tell what's going on. The contrast being so low doesn't help this, either.

Another thing I didn't like was having to kill myself when I accidentally pushed a block in my way and couldn't move it out of the way. Perhaps a pulling mechanic on pushable blocks would remedy this... Or maybe pushable blocks are also destructible if you shoot them with the gun and then they respawn at their original location? In the case of having two pushable blocks lined up against each other (like on the bridge puzzle) perhaps pushing one into another would move both (I got stuck here).

Maybe I'll try this again sometime when I'm more awake/patient, but I hope my feedback was somewhat helpful.

PS: Why not change "Battery" to "Cattery"? Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic