Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:47:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCasual Quest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Casual Quest  (Read 1399 times)
Fugsnarf
« on: December 20, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »

Casual Quest is a great new game by a developer who goes by the name of IainPeregrine.

Casual Quest was developed with Dream Maker, or BYOND. It's an excellent game that breaks all of the stereotypes you might associate with BYOND! Casual Quest was developed for a Casual Game challenge that took place on the BYOND.come site. Coming in place #1, it's one of BYOND's finest online games. I'll let IainPeregrine sum up the game in his own words:

"In Casual Quest you start as an Adventurer, fighting your way through hordes of enemies either alone, or with up to four companions. As you progress, you stand the chance to change your class and gain several new abilities to help you in your struggle of survival. But beware, a tough challenge awaits you each every so often, be it a huge fire spitting dragon, a gigantic scorpion waving a deadly tail, or a strange eyeball that obtains the power of mirroring in the 'blink of an eye'.
If you manage to come out ahead on such an encounter, you might find a little treasure in a chest that you can show to others, indicating you as glorious vanquisher!"

After each area, you fight a boss. If you defeat said boss, you get a valuable item which is displayed as a medal on the BYOND site for all to see how far you've gone.

The gameplay is very Zelda-esque. Your first adventurer character has a sword which he can slash much like the sword stab in the first Zelda for the NES. Eventually, you will find a character card in which a decision must be made. Depending on which choice you choose, your class will change.

There are 15 classes you can get as you progress through the game. You can buy the rights to 16 extra classes for a one-time payment of 6 dollars (5 dollars for BYOND members). It's not necessary at all, but the extra classes are fun and unique; they're also powerful, if you know how to use them. The controls are simple with Space being your main attack key, and Z and X being your special abilities which use MP.

The game has no storyline, it's just a casual adventure game where you fight wave after wave to make it to the end. With the addition of four other players in the wave at one time, you're in for a lot of fun as you tag-team hordes of monsters and fun bosses! The game never gets old as every adventure you take in Casual Quest can lead to new destinations and new classes and abilities.

With fun, addictive, load-up-and-play gameplay, Casual Quest is the perfect game for anyone looking for some casual, retro gameplay and a good time with other players!

Try it today!
http://www.byond.com/games/IainPeregrine/CasualQuest?tab=live

Casual Quest is made for BYOND. You must download BYOND and create a BYOND key in order to play Casual Quest. The process is quick and painless and very simple: http://www.byond.com/download/

Have fun!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 10:16:48 AM by Fugsnarf » Logged
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:50:01 AM »

4 problems:
1. IainPeregrine's summary of the game make it sound like every MMORPG ever.
2. I hate the mix of pixel art and non-pixel art.
3. An extra $2 a month for different classes? Really?
4. No storyline. I'm not sure how immersive you can make the game without a storyline or context, but I bet a lot of people will dislike this fact.

Whatever BYOND is, I don't want to download it, which means I haven't actually tried this game, so my feedback may not be the most useful, but I guess my first impressions might count for something.
Fugsnarf
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »

I don't know what happened, but it said 2 dollars a month. It used to be a one-time payment of 6 dollars (5 for BYOND members). Seems he's changed it back, so I updated the post.
Iain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 10:23:28 AM »

Ahoy! I was told that some posts about my games were being made to these forums, so I figured I'd check it out. Seeing some of your issues with the game, I'd like to comment:

1: "IainPeregrine's summary of the game make it sound like every MMORPG ever."
You're right about this. The summary (though I didn't write it, a fan of the game did) could be a description of any MMORPG. Changing the description to better fit the game has been on my to-do list, but I was focusing on changes in-game first - I didn't expect people outside of BYOND to see it just yet. Here's the kicker, though: It's not an MMORPG. It's not an RPG at all. It's a casual game where you pop in for 10 minutes, fight wave after wave of monsters, and eventually die. I've just edited the page you were linked to, and it now reads differently, and hopefully better:

"Welcome back to the world of Illuna, a small young planet with a history of strife. In Casual Quest, you and up to four other players must defend yourselves from hoards of monsters, progressing to the next wave only when every one of them is defeated. Combat is action based, and waves go by quickly, so feel free to jump in for a few rounds on your coffee break, and then let someone else take your place when you leave. If you're in for the long haul, you can start at wave 1 and see if you can survive through 140 waves to recover all the royal treasures. Up for a challenge? Start at wave 60 and hope for the best! With 35 classes, addictive and challenging gameplay, and a casual social atmosphere, Casual Quest has something for everyone."

2. "I hate the mix of pixel art and non-pixel art."

I understand that, having not downloaded BYOND or tried the game, the screen-shots are all that you can comment on, but the truth is that this is a non-issue. The entire game uses 8-bit styled graphics, except at the end of some waves when you're allowed to make a choice (as seen in the first screen-shot). I guess another way of saying this is that all the gameplay uses pixel art: you'll never see a hand-drawn boss walking across the screen, or anything like that.

3. "An extra $2 a month for different classes? Really?"

The entire game was designed to be played with just the 16 classes available to everyone, so you can play and have a great time without ever paying me. In other words, I've worked to make a game that's free to play for anyone who wants to. For an extra $5, you can get a lifetime subscription and have access to the other classes. Two days ago I thought I'd add a $2/two-months option for people who wanted to give a gift to their friends at Christmas, but I didn't realize this would make the $5 lifetime option basically invisible. Thanks for pointing this out. I've removed the $2 option for now, until the website I use for the automated subscriptions improves their interface.

4. "No storyline. I'm not sure how immersive you can make the game without a storyline or context, but I bet a lot of people will dislike this fact."

This comment is probably based on how you thought the game was an MMORPG. The game does have a brief (1 paragraph) storyline which can be found on the CQ Website I've been slowly working on. As a casual game, storyline isn't as important as addictive gameplay.

5. "Whatever BYOND is, I don't want to download it [...]"

Yeah, I get this a lot. BYOND works in the same way as Java. They're both virtual machines that interpret byte-code in order to run a program on a variety of platforms (a game can be hosted from just about any OS, but can currently only be played from a Windows machines; bummer). Unlike Java, BYOND didn't come installed on your computer when you bought it, so I have to convince people to download BYOND in order to try my games (worse bummer). That said, BYOND is safe, quick to download, and even quicker to uninstall, so you can download, try out a game, and uninstall it if you don't like it.

6. "[...] I haven't actually tried this game, so my feedback may not be the most useful, but I guess my first impressions might count for something."

They do count for something, and thanks for taking the time to write. Your comments have already helped me to make the website and other advertising material better, as I had no clue that it looked like an MMORPG to the casual observer. I understand why you wouldn't want to download BYOND, as I went through the same thing when I first discovered it.

If you would like to download BYOND and try my game, I'll give you a lifetime subscription. The prices there are less about me trying to make tons of money from indie games ( Big Laff like that'd ever happen), and more about me asking for support from members of the BYOND community (I also use subscription numbers from my games to decide what to work on next, so fans basically get to pay me to program the game they like). If people from other communities want to give BYOND a try, I'm more than willing to help out with a few subscriptions to some of my games.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic