Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 01:36:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsObsessive Collecting Disorder
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Obsessive Collecting Disorder  (Read 2565 times)
SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »

Hey people,

So im new to these forums.... and to game design in general really. I dabbled with various little tech demos in XNA last year and picked up some knowledge of C# etc but over the last 5 months my brother and I decided to put some serious effort into making our first full project with the sole aim to do ourselves proud.

Its pretty close to completion now and we'd love to get some feedback on what people think, heres the trailer and a brief introduction to the game.

Obsessive Collecting Disorder:

Trailer:

Ever wanted to know just how obsessed with collecting you are?

Obsessive Collecting Disorder is a platformer designed to test you to your collecting limits, we assess the severity of your obsession using our 7 stage program with 70 ever more difficult collecting enviroments.

If you or someone you know collects pointless points, worthless objects or currency that can’t be spent try ‘Obsessive Collecting Disorder’ available on the Xbox Live Indie Marketplace in summer 2012.

We dont have a website yet but our Facebook page can be found here: www.Facebook.com/SuperSmithBros
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:33:30 AM by SuperSmithBros » Logged
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »

Looks challenging and pretty sweet, especially since this is your first game. But the art style is a bit boring to be honest. I get the old tube-tv and grayscale vibe, but the gray level blocks could definitely use some detailing. Also, what does this have to do with obsessivity? It makes a cool name but I don't see how it applies to the game itself. Also, OCD is pretty serious stuff so I hope you're not taking it too lightly.

Thumbs up on the level design, they seem pretty clever and tricky Hand Thumbs Up Right

SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »

Thanks for taking a look Smiley

There is a basic story that explains the obsessive collecting, its a parody on collecting things like feathers, orbs, pigeons and other things within other games and we make jokes where possible. The level select screen has a 'Collecting Fact' for each stage which rips on different collectibles in other games.

The premise is that you're in a test lab seeing how severe your obsession is and the aim is to simply collect all the coins to progress to the next chamber, there are 10 chambers in each stage for a total of 70 levels and each stage introduces new traps to constantly keep it interesting.

The grey blocks are still subject to change, I originally had them cross-hatched but it gave off a weird effect in 1080 on the xbox, especially under the static effect so I had to change it.

Essentially all the art and code has been done by one man hence the simplicty of the style, since this was our first game we didnt want to over stretch ourselves especially since its already taken 5 months.
matwek
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »

I might be able to help you out with some art if you're interested. I normally work for upfront payment but I might be able to do a profit share seen as you're so close to finishing.
I'm looking to do a few simple games to try and fill up my portfolio of completed games.

You can find examples of my work here...
http://www.facebook.com/matwekpixel

You can contact me quicker at [email protected]
SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:27:38 PM »

Hi Matwek,

Thanks for the offer but with this project we'd prefer to just keep it to our own work, its only our first game and we arent expecting many sales or anything we'll just be happy to have other people play. Had a look at your facebook though and liking your art Smiley

We're just looking for constructive feedback on the trailer and the general look of the game really.
SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »

EDIT: How do I rescale them in the thread?

Screenshots:

How to Play Screen

The Hud has been changed in the current version so it doesnt look quite as messy.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 11:52:01 PM by SuperSmithBros » Logged
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 11:45:15 PM »

[img width=xxx]http://....[/img]

SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 11:52:21 PM »

thanks Smiley
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:53:49 PM »

Here, I made a super quick edit on the level blocks, maybe this gives you an idea how to improve or something.

SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:56 AM »

I assume you mean just break up the lines into dashes like a non-activated exclamation block in mario world?

The TV static effect can be turned off in-game by the way, its not mandatory.
SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »

The game is in playtest at the moment, if there are any XBLIG developers on here with an AppHub license check it out and let us know what you think.
SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »

New screenshot with the updated block graphics...

Hopefully gonna have the game finished for the start of July.
SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:23 AM »

Obsessive Collecting Disorder is OUT NOW on Xbox Live Indie games, if you download the trial please let us know what you think :D

Heres our release Trailer:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic