Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 04:21:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFallout 3 DRM...
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Fallout 3 DRM...  (Read 3782 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »

Another thing to consider is that CD-check DRM does prevent some casual piracy. It doesn't prevent people who know how to use torrents and all that, but it *does* prevent people who want to just let their friend borrow the disk, install it, and play it without the disk. Not everyone is equally sophisticated, and even if DRM prevents only 10% of the stupider pirates, that's 10%.

That's actually a pretty good point, I didn't really think of that. Back then when I was a "casual pirate" (as was like everybody else) you really just had to copy the CD with a CD-Burner (if you had the luxury of owning one) and be done with it.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 12:50:29 PM »

No, I was laughing at the idea that this would be a reason to get a legitimate copy (probably that's not what you meant, but it's how I read it.) Obviously, if you paid $0 for your copy, you don't care much about its resale price.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »

Just a note: If you buy Fallout 3 on Steam it's 10$ cheaper than in stores and doesn't have securom. It still has Steam, which is a form of DRM, but it's probably better to get it on Steam than to buy it in stores. I bought it today and it's pretty great so far.

Renton
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 12:52:39 AM »

I bought retail and it hasn't made any problems on my machine so far. In fact, it kinda stopped asking for the DVD after a while  Undecided
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 12:56:22 AM »

Yeah, mine's never asked me for the DVD... well, apart from when I installed it of course. I was very glad. I love it when I don't need to change CDs. I'm very lazy. Shrug

Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 06:25:42 PM »

It seems to me that it will only ask you for the CD if you run the Launcher. If you run just the .exe, you don't need the CD.

The thing is, though, I'm pretty sure you have to use the Launcher if you want to add custom data modules (i.e. mods/expansions), but as long as you're not adding any mods(Once added, you can use the exe again), you can just run straight from the HDD.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic