Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 02:23:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBarbarian RPG: Citadel of the Mantis Queen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Barbarian RPG: Citadel of the Mantis Queen  (Read 34628 times)
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »

Name: BROG STRONG LIKE OX
Class: Fighter
Stats: Strength 5, Speed 2, Intelligence 0
Items: Heavy Spiked Club, Loincloth, Horned Helmet
Magical Item: Ox Bone Necklace (can be invoked once a day to grant the wearer supernatural strength from the ox spirit)
Weapon Proficiency: Clubs

edit: Messed around with things a bit.  Is the minimum for stats 1 or 0?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 04:00:06 AM by brog » Logged
Gnarf
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 02:57:56 AM »

Name: Garoof
Class: Reaver
Stats: Strength 3, Speed 3, Intelligence 1
Items: Helmet, Hand Ax, Ax, Large Ax
Weapon profency: Axes

Notes: The Reaver class is mostly just a fighter, with one more regular item and no magical items, and some slight dual wielding skills. Sort of half-based on the Reaver class in Age of Conan that I did not get to play because they ditched it. I imagine that Garoof ends up fighting with the large ax after randomly throwing the others at people during combat anyway, so it's not like he has to be really awesomegood at dual wielding. Just like, capable.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 03:18:49 AM »

Name: Xearius Rohound
Class: Thief
Stats: Strength - 1 | Speed - 3 | Intelligence - 3
Normal Items: Patchwork Leather Jacket (each patch crafted from the hide of a different creature), Spiked Backhanders (gloves with the entire back of the hand covered in metal spikes), Potion of Healing (heals)
Magical Items: Xiusiur's Belt of Knives (A belt holding four sentient knives which return to me no matter what and each magically imbued with a different poison), Gorgon Goggles (when worn, has a chance of temporarily paralyzing whomever I look at).

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 07:12:18 AM »

Name: Vevera
Class: Druid
Stats: Strength - 4 | Speed - 1 | Intelligence - 2
Normal Items:
Bone Sword
Dear Hide Armor
Magic Item:
Mask of Deep Wood - Allow communication with my animal companion.

Animal Companion:
Wolf
Name: Snow Shard
Stats: Strength - 2 | Speed - 3 (but for anything pertaining to turn order, he goes at the same time as me) | Intelligence - N/A
Attributes:
Claws - Sharp but short claws
Bite - A bite that only works on protruding things (such as an arm) that can latch on, or just bite and release
Sent - Can smell things that went past and track them, can't determine anything more then species.
Edit (forgot, meant to have): Dark Vision - Can see normally with very little light.

Tell me if I'm over/under powered, it is kinda hard to gauge with having basically a second character.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:35:02 AM by laremere » Logged

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 12:22:34 PM »

We can be stupid when making our characters right?
I hope so!

Name: Knutt, the Perpetually Inebriated
Class: Drunkard
Stats: Strength 4, Speed 1, Int 1
Normal Items
Whiskey bottle
Magic Item
Mystery Alcohol - Some alcoholic beverage that's been sitting around for over one thousand years! Who knows what will happen to he who drinks it?
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »

We can be stupid when making our characters right?

Name: Dexter
Class: Corporate Middle Managament
Stats:  Strength 1, Speed 1, Intelligence 5
Normals Items: TPS Reports, Corporal Blaster
Magic Items: TPS Reports with Cover Letters!

Renton
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »

I think that's kinda overkill.
(Though I should watch Office Space again sometime soon)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 01:30:00 PM by Renton » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »

- Name: Andreas Jörgensen
- Class: Acrobat
- Stats: Speed 4, Strenght 2, Intelligence 1
- Items: Two steel daggers (think small, ninja style), and a hairband.
- Magical Item: Boots of Springheeled Jack. Allows me to cheat in acrobatical contests, and jump really high without taking damage.
- Other: Uhh I dunno you should probably think about what fits here.

Does acrobat count as a class?

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »

GRAAARGH! ALEVICE THE CONQUEROR SHALL BE FILL THE PUNY FORMAT OF ADVENTURE SUBMISSION

Name: ALLAVAARGGHK "ALE VICE" VAANGARHEIMMM THE CONQUEROR!!! GRAARGH!!

*a small voice who is certainly not from alevice the conqueror says:*(aka, yeah, just Alevice, because he can't think of something that it is as coherent and intelligible)

Class: GRRAARGH BARBARIANS HAVE NO CLASS THEY BE NOT FRAGILE GENTLEMEN!
*a small voice who is certainly not from alevice the conqueror says:*(aka, fighter I guess)

Stats: MUSCLES ARE LIKE 4!, YET MY SPEED IS JUST 1, NOT LIKE BARBARIAS NEED IT ANYWAY, AND BRAINS BE LIKE 2, BECAUSE I AM QUITE SMART!
*a small voice who is certainly not from alevice the conqueror says:*(aka, erm, strength 4, speed 1, intelligence 2)

Items: I CARRY WITH ME MY MY LOVELY BELOVED GAUNTLETS WITH SPIKES THAT PIERCES AND CRUSH AND DESTROY THE BONES AND HEARTS OF MY WEAK OPPONENTS THAT VILE OUR LAND; I ALSO HAVE THE MAGNIFICIENT CELESTIAN ARCHANGEL OF HEAVEN SWORD THAT I ACQUIRED WHEN I CRUSHED THE FACE OF A PUDGY LITTLE MAN OF YELLOW HAIR AND BIRDY WINGS OF PUNITY! HAHAHAHAHA! OH,  THERE IS ALSO THIS PAIR OF HEAVY IRON BOOTS THAT I USE FOR STUMPING AND CRUSHING ALL LITTLE MEN THAT DARE TO COME TO CLOSE TO ME, ALEVICE THE CONQUEROR!!!!
*a small voice who is certainly not from alevice the conqueror says:*(aka, well, there is this pair of spiked gauntlets, a stupid sword that he got from a helpless man killed by a vulture, and this pair of heavy steel boots)

Magical Item: I HAVE WITH MY VOCAL CORDS OF THE THOUSAND SURROWS THAT I TOOK OFF OF A RAID IN A DUNGEON WITH BANSHEES THAT WERE EVERY WHERE IN THE DUNGEON THAT I RAIDED. THEY LET ME SCREAM WARCRIES THAT INSPIRATE AND TERRIFICATE EVERYONE AROUND ME!!
*a small voice who is certainly not from alevice the conqueror says:*(aka, a horrible set of vocal cords that spawned me as well as a side effect)

Weapon Proficiency: I, ALEVICE THE CONQUEROR, AM A MASTER OF ALL HACKING WEAPONS BESTOWED IN MY HAND!!!

*a small voice who is certainly not from alevice the conqueror says:*(aka, hack weapons, like axes, perhaps?)

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 03:50:01 PM »

Name: Tolki
Class: Theif
Stat: Str:1 Spd:4 Int:2
Item: Bow, Sneaky shoes, Short Sword
MAGIC ITEM:Quiver of a large amount of useful situation specific arrows!
MAGIC ITEM2: Cloak of Cloaking

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »

OK, I only planned on around 10 entrants, so I'm now going to declare signups closed, unless you want a walk-in role.

Eddietree: I'm not sure if you seriously wanted to join the game but I can't accept your character.

Alevice: Are you sure you want a proficiency in a weapon type you don't actually have?

Laremere: You can have a different magic item if you like - I think communication with your familiar is a given.

Hideous: For your acrobat's special ability, you can pick a certain type of attack that you are extremely adept at avoiding: For example, weapon attack, physical attack, magical attack, or trap.

Fishyboy: As a drunkard, you can select a stat or other attribute that increases as you become drunker. This could be speed, strength or even intelligence. Some other attribute you might think of is fine also.

Some of you don't have as many items as you're allowed! Dual weapons only count as one item slot, by the way. If you can't think of any other items, I'll give you something.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »

Then give me an extra item. I can dodge physical attacks, then Gentleman

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »

Alevice: Are you sure you want a proficiency in a weapon type you don't actually have?

GRAARGH, PITIFUL PERSON, DARING TO QUESTION MY SUBMISSION?! I SHOULD HACK YOU WITH A WEAPON I DON'T HAVE!!!!

I SEEMS THE WORTHLESS KID WANTS TO PLAY SERIOUS, EH? WELL THEN, JUST TO SHOW YOU MY MERCY AND MY GENEROSITY, LET'S PRETEND I ACTUALLY SAID I AM PROFICIENT IN HAND TO HAND COMBAT. HAPPY NOW, CRYBABY?!

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 11:32:36 PM »

ooh btw you can have a stat of 0 if you like.

EDIT: Yeah, anyway, I'm pretty much ready to go, but waiting for someone to play the walk-in roles. If nobody wants to, I can take one or both of them out, though.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:43:49 PM by chutup » Logged

FishyBoy
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 06:20:55 AM »

Fishyboy: As a drunkard, you can select a stat or other attribute that increases as you become drunker. This could be speed, strength or even intelligence. Some other attribute you might think of is fine also.
Intelligence?

VERY YES
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »

OK! Let's get this started then.

It is a cold winter's night in Bandu, and the Dragon's Tail Inn clings desperately to the mountainside as wild winds howl around it, as if trying to tear it from its place and hurl it into the canyon below.

Inside, the cold is held at bay by a roaring fire and good cheer, as travellers and adventurers relax and enjoy a hearty drink of ale. The night is long, and it will be many hours until sunrise, but the tavern's resident drunkard, Knutt, is already far from sober as he weaves from table to table, spreading his infectious cheeriness all around the room.

Knutt stumbles over to the far end of the bar, where a cloaked figure sits, hunched over his ale, seemingly cut off from the entire world. Yet a keen eye would notice that this is far from the truth, and under that grey cowl are beady eyes that scan the room with care and precision.

"What'sh your troublesh, shirr?" Knutt asks the stranger.

"None of your business, drunkard." the man replies.

"You wouldn't happen to be... shhearshing for shum...advenshurers, would you?" Knutt asks, grinning.

The stranger frowns at him. "Who told you that?"

"I'm not as shtupid as I look, no shirree." Knutt tells him. "In fact, it'sh a proven fact that I'sh at the height of my mental caper-bilities when I'sh shtone drunk!"

The stranger looks unimpressed.

"If you're looking for advenshurersh, I'm your man." Knutt continues. "I'm shtrong ash an oksh, an got brainsh to boot."

The stranger still looks unimpressed.

"Lisshen," Knutt says. "I'll round up all the advenshurersh of good calibber round here and meet you in the shtablesh in half an hour. An if you don't like em, then don't take em. Jusht gimme half an hour."

The stranger sighs. "Very well." he says. "But don't be late."

Half an hour later, the stranger trudges out to the stables, wrapping his cloak around him to keep out the bitter cold. There in the stables, as Knutt had promised, are assembled ten fine adventurers ready for battle. There is Sherman Tecumseh Cuchulainn, resting his heavy arm on the haft of his massive, red-painted hatchet; Sigurd Skallagrimsson, a northerner whose gaze is as hard as his might warhammer; Brog Strong-Like-Ox, a tribesman from the west with a jaw like diamond; Garoof, an inscrutable foreigner armed to the teeth with vicious-looking axes; Xearius Rohound, a wiry thief with a bulging sack over his shoulder; Vevera, a solemn druid who kneels to whisper in the ear of his familiar, a white wolf; Andreas Jorgensen, an acrobat from the Snow Isles who seems constantly tensed to spring; Ale Vice, a lumbering titan of a man whose fingers wriggle as if itching to close around a neck; Tolki, a thief so shadowy as to be almost unseen in the darkness; and Knutt himself, having donned a pair of boxing gauntlets to prepare for battle.

The stranger looks them over carefully, nods, and slips back his hood, revealing himself as an old, yet tough-looking man, a man who has been through much and come out the other side.

"One year ago, my village was peaceful place." He begins. "Twenty miles down the canyon from here, a little hamlet called Gurthen, shielded from storms and mountain creatures, remote enough to avoid being involved in any petty wars or disputes. We lived simple, wholesome lives, and were content.

"Then, one day, we began to hear strange noises in the night, coming from further down the canyon. We soon realised they were coming from the old ruined temple carved into the cliff face, where once some sort of demon king had been worshipped in ages gone by. But this was different. Something else had taken up residence there. Gradually whispers spread through the village of a terrible monstrosity out of long-lost times, a creature called the Mantis Queen. Some said she was a demon; others that she was a child of the Luchulinn. But nobody really knows. All we know is that once she was settled in, people began to disappear.

"At first it was only one or two a month, but later the kidnappings stepped up to three, four times that amount, and then to an even greater number. Anyone who went to the temple to try and reason with the creature or kill it, would disappear also. And so I set out for this place, to find someone to save our town."

"What's in it for us?" asks Xearius.

"I have no money." the old man says. "But I know that the temple was once filled with great treasures, and the Mantis Queen has more besides. I would say there would be almost seven thousand talents' worth of treasure to be found there. I can draw you a map and tell you how to reach the temple undetected, and all I ask in return is that you cleanse that place of evil down to the last demonic spawn you find there."

The adventurers' eyes glitter at the mention of such treasure, and each one gives a solemn "Aye" to express their approval.

The next day the adventurers set off for Gurthen, leaving the old man behind to recover from his arduous journey. They travel down the canyon at a slow pace due to the difficult terrain, and it takes them the entire day to reach the village.

When they arrive, it is plain to see that the village has been sacked. The buildings are burned to the ground, and the people are all gone save for a few forlorn corpses covered by the evening snow. Steeling themselves against this sight, the adventurers continue their trek, hoping to reach the temple under cover of darkness. The temple is not far and it is around midnight when they enter. As the old man had told them, there is a secret path along the very edge of the cliff-face that leads them right up to the back door of the temple. Sounds and smells wafting from within indicate that this is the kitchen.

Preparing themselves mentally for battle, the adventurers sneak inside.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 06:00:21 PM »

Kitchen

You are standing in a large room, lit by hanging candles and numerous fires. Several emaciated humans in ragged clothes and leg manacles bustle around the room, preparing food. They seem so downtrodden as to not notice you at all. The room is filled with thick steam and the smell of meat cooking.

In the middle of the room, resting on a thick pallet, lies a huge fat man, snoring loudly. He is so big that you consider he may have a strain of Ogre blood within his heritage. In one hand he grasps a viciously spiked whip, and in the other, a gigantic axe.

Deeper into the room lies a huge pot over a blazing fire, bubbling madly and releasing the steam that fills the room. Set into the east wall are four blazing ovens where bread is being baked and meat cooked. Near there is another fire over which a boar carcass turns on a spit, dripping fat.

Piled in a corner are several stacks of firewood, and near them, a rack of steak knives ranging from regular size to some the size of a greatsword.

The back door through which you have just entered lies to the west. To the east is a large steel door that seems as if it would be difficult to open from this side. To the south is a smaller doorway, through which a foul stench emerges.

>

(type STATUS for inventory and HP)

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »

STATUS

also, shall I don my Gorgon Goggles and keep a close eye on the sleeping fellow in the middle of the room, lest he awake and be displeased with the presence of strangers?

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »

Xearius Rohound
Inventory:
Patchwork Leather Jacket
Spiked Backhanders (equipped)
Potion of Healing
Xiusiur's Belt of Knives
Gorgon Goggles (equipped)

Str:1
Spd:3
Int:3
HP:24/24

Xearius dons his Gorgon Goggles and gazes upon the sleeping Overseer, focusing his eyes so as to paralyze the target.

The enemy is asleep and unmoving, making an easy target. The chance of success is 70%.

Unfortunately, nothing happens. The Overseer continues to snore. The Gorgon Goggles will take a short time to regenerate before they can be used again.

FishyBoy
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 08:16:18 PM »

Chutup, you are my new patron saint.  Kiss

I guess I'll just stumble drunkenly over to the oven and grab some meat! Yum.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic