Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:10:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpelunky v1.1 (and Source)!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 228
Print
Author Topic: Spelunky v1.1 (and Source)!  (Read 1538903 times)
PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 25, 2008, 01:52:24 AM »

Another error:(two really)
I got this one while jumping down a shaft with a pot in it and holding down while swinging the whip. The pot broke and the errors happened.
Shaft looks like this:
X X
XPX
XXX___________________________________________
ERROR in
action number 4
of  Step Event
for object oPlayer1:

Error in code at line 66:
       if (holdItem.type == "Machete")

at position 19: Unknown variable type

if I hit ignore it gives me:

ERROR in
action number 10
of  Step Event
for object oPlayer1:

Error in code at line 23:
       if (holdItem.type == "Bow")

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 25, 2008, 03:33:40 AM »

Great game Derek!

On a note unrelated to the forest level, I think you should really take advantage of this game being on a PC platform.
The one thing you have plenty of is hard drive space.
It would be FANTASTIC if you added to the main menu a TREASURE building.
Inside the TREASURE building you would have on the right the mounted body's of your fallen foes and a number below it declaring exactly how many of that monster you have killed.
And on the left you would have a museum of every treasure item you have found as well as a count of how many of each item of course.

The only items and monsters counted would be ones added to your score after you pass a level.

This would be a really sweet little add-on. Like in N! Actually, a cause-of-death tally would also be nifty, though more difficult, I imagine.

I have no idea what the treasure you get from the locked box does

Pay close attention. It's a visual thing. Though I noticed a change, it took me around a room to figure it out.

On the other hand, whilst an item log would be 'nice', it'd ruin some of the charm of invention. Another secret figured out for you. This game's all about secrets. And horrible, horrible death.

BIG PROBLEM, NEW VERSION

Whenever I meet The Shortcut Man, he asks me for money. However, when I go and press "X" to scroll his text forward to the money-giving part, he instead states "I'll never get this shortcut done". Then I leave. I sense a problem.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 04:48:36 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Devlin
« Reply #222 on: December 25, 2008, 05:02:05 AM »

Ah, I don't think i'll see that...

I've already fulfilled all of the Tunnel Man's requests.

I've got to level 15 so far.

As to the Item Museum related stuff, why not add it as a bonus for completing the game?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 25, 2008, 05:43:20 AM »

This would be a really sweet little add-on. Like in N! Actually, a cause-of-death tally would also be nifty, though more difficult, I imagine.
This is what I want  Durr...?

I'd then again, half of the deaths for me would be "quit game". I'm picky about my Spelunky runs.

Devlin
« Reply #224 on: December 25, 2008, 06:21:24 AM »

This is what I want  Durr...?

I'd then again, half of the deaths for me would be "quit game". I'm picky about my Spelunky runs.

I find that most of my suicides by F1 are caused by me accidentally going into the Start room instead of taking the shortcut.

Pressing P(was the start button on my 360 pad, using the Windows driver) in the title/shortcut room caused an error, although in my infinite wisdom failed to copypasta them, and now I can't get on my PC due to it being christmas day(wish I had my own table xD).
nanotie
Level 0

Paul Legovitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: December 25, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »

ERROR in
action number 4
of  Step Event
for object oPlayer1:

I've just had the same bug while holding a damsel in distress and being hit by a carnivorous plant.

You might want to check if there is an instance of object holdItem in the room before calling one of its local variables :
Code:
if instance_exists(holdItem)
{...}

If there is a chance the variable type is not defined in holdItem, you can use variable_local_get("type") which returns 0 if the variable doesn't exist and doesn't make the game stop...

EDIT : Actually you would get an error as 0 is not a string and can't be compared with "Machete", so just check if the variable exists with variable_local_exists("type") :

Code:
if instance_exists(holdItem)
with holdItem
{
 if variable_local_exists("type")
 if type == "Machete"
 with other
 {...}
}

I also skipped accidentally the shortcut man in the new version. Concerned
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 08:25:51 AM by nanotie » Logged

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 25, 2008, 09:46:17 AM »

Contains spoilers for the second zone (levels 5-8).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 01:17:49 PM by Kao » Logged
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 25, 2008, 09:54:20 AM »

Wow. This game is SO awesome. I didn't have that much fun with a single game in some time now.
[...]

i know it's OT but i need to say that your avatar is totally amazing. And the c64-like sprite seems really a c64 sprite WTF best pixellated avatar ever Shocked  Gentleman

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2008, 09:57:52 AM »

I just got killed by what looks like a bug in the new build. I was walking on top of the big boulder, which had stopped rolling. Maybe it was fine when I was on the flat part at the very top; but when I was walking on the sloping part, the character starting juddering a little and I died in a shower of blood.

Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »

This game is really pretty Smiley Good job Derek! So far I've not find any bug but I'll report in case.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »

If you're running, even with down to run disabled, and let go of shift and left/right but keep holding down, Indie will take a long time to decelerate. This has killed me a couple of times now. Bug?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 25, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »

If you're running, even with down to run disabled, and let go of shift and left/right but keep holding down, Indie will take a long time to decelerate. This has killed me a couple of times now. Bug?
I have noticed this, and it's a pretty serious problem right now. If you're running and you decide to stop, it will take you at least a second to slow down. When you're switching directions, though, you switch instantly. This causes a gap where you can not land without serious effort, because letting go of the direction button just slows you down, whereas switching directions happens instantly. In other words, it's really hard to make an accurate jump (IE, between two sets of spikes), due to the weird inertia effects in place now.

I think instant slowdown would pretty much clear up all the current problems, though.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 25, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

If you're still working on getting the joystick controls good, Derek, I made a Game Maker joystick calibration type example. It shouldn't be too hard to implement a "configure gamepad" type option using it Smiley Even if you don't end up using it, it might be worth a look-see?

http://willhostforfood.com/access.php?fileid=20642

I'm digging Spelunky so far, though it does tend to get frustrating. The current gamepad key layout confuses me because run and jump are on opposite sides of the pad x_x There seems to still be problems with it though, like if you run one way with the button then turn the other way by tapping, sometimes you don't actually turn around and you end up moonwalking backwards slowly. The graphics are really great, and the platform engine is very smooth.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2008, 02:32:06 PM »

I just remapped the bomb and the rope to A and S and it's supermagical.  Hand Shake LeftKissHand Shake Right
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 25, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »

Same error of nanotie

Level one. Here's the screen (I was whipping randomness around).

Code:
for object oPlayer1:

for object oPlayer1:

Error in code at line 23:
       if (holdItem.type == "Bow")

P.S. Kao, your video is simply awesome X°°D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 04:24:39 PM by Levin » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »

Contains spoilers for the second zone (levels 5-8).

LOL! :D That was awesome!

New build:

http://www.derekyu.com/games/spelunky_0_97_1.rar

http://www.derekyu.com/games/spelunky_0_97_1.exe (exe only)

I think I FINALLY took care of those holdItem crashes once and for all.  I put in some code that should just handle every case in which an item leaves your hand (including damsels being eaten by man-eating plants right out of your arms!).  Why I didn't do that a long time ago, I don't know.

With the jars, it turns out that people were picking up the jars mid-whip, so they were actually breaking the jars they were holding... a case I never expected.  But the new code should handle anything, expected or not.

I also fixed the Tunnel Man bug and the run button problem.  With Tunnel Man, I left in some old code that was causing it to register the "X" keypress twice there.  D'oh!

And some other stuff (see readme for details)!

Thanks for the feedback - some of these bugs would have been impossible to track down without it. Smiley The next build will have gamepad config and support analog stick.  But that might not be until 2009!

I just got killed by what looks like a bug in the new build. I was walking on top of the big boulder, which had stopped rolling. Maybe it was fine when I was on the flat part at the very top; but when I was walking on the sloping part, the character starting juddering a little and I died in a shower of blood.

I've seen this occasionally - the boulder becomes "soft" sometimes and you sink into it until you explode.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what the cause might be.  It should always be at the same state when at rest.  I'll look into it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 05:33:57 PM by Derek » Logged
Devlin
« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2008, 05:22:54 PM »

SPOILERWARNING : DO NOT CLICK THE IMAGE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE LATER LEVELS.

Either way, I was playing, and I threw up a rope, when the rope was falling, it hit a passing enemy(a UFO), it suddenly exploded, and then the rope flew to the right as seen in the image.
Image is somewhat spoiler-y
PixelScum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2008, 05:25:11 PM »

SPOILERWARNING : DO NOT CLICK THE IMAGE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE LATER LEVELS.

Either way, I was playing, and I threw up a rope, when the rope was falling, it hit a passing enemy(a UFO), it suddenly exploded, and then the rope flew to the right as seen in the image.
Image is somewhat spoiler-y

Yeah it happens when you set a bomb and set a rope nearby, only when the rope is extending though, after it extends nothing will affect it.

On the subject of boulders, sometimes a boulder will get stuck spinning in a single place. You can jump on it and it'll throw you off, sort of.
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: December 25, 2008, 05:49:50 PM »

think I got a bug. Or is it?
On level 5, I got a path that was impossible to go through without bombs. What blocked the path was a statue (those with the spikes), maybe those arn't taken into account when checking whether or not the levels' path works?
Or is it supposed to create paths that require bombs from time to time?

Devlin
« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »

On some of the later levels, there are paths which require bombs.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 228
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic