Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411631 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 07:31:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRacingBalls - Diploma Thesis Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RacingBalls - Diploma Thesis Game  (Read 823 times)
meno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:25:11 AM »

Hey guys.
i wrote a game for my diploma thesis and i would like to show it to you. it would be really great if you could play it and complete the survey at the end. it takes only 3 minutes.

This game is a multiplayer platform racing game. You have to leverage your jump n run skills to reach the finish line ahead of your opponent.

This game is part of a scientific study and the gathered data will be used in a diploma thesis. Also it will be used to enhance the game and release a better version after the thesis is finished.

i will take note of all criticisms and after my study is finished i will try to enhance the game to a better version that is better designed for gamers.

thanks a lot!

one-week.eu - 1 week game jam
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »

this was really fun. I liked how the platforms appeared as you got near them.

the music and sound effects were awesome too. great job.
meno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:32:55 AM »

thank you for playing and your comment, very kind Smiley

i have to admit that i stole the idea with the falling platforms from bastion.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:36:15 AM »

Hey guy this is so fun!
Just one observation, in the first time I played, I had no idea of who I was, I thought I was on the lower screen, but I was wrong...
Very simple, but very fun and challenging!
Also, I 've filled the form.

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
B6ka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »

Very intense and fun. I liked the way I was immediately thrown into action but it would be nice if it was indicated which of the panels was mine.

At the end I completed the survey, and when I played second time, it asked me to do it again and I did not know how to opt out. If I pressed exit survey and clear data I was thinking maybe my previous filled in survey data would disappear and I had spent some time on it so did not really want this.

Finally, though the randomly generated terrain is very nice it would be nice to have some more variety of 'puzzle' patches.

B6ka
Game developer, cat-gun enthusiast, alligator farmer
meno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:18 AM »

thank you for comments Smiley
it never occured to me that people might not know which screen they are on. i have to think about that for the next version as you are not the only people mentioning that.

regarding the survey: you are asked a max. 3 times to fill it. no data is lost. thank you Smiley if you just want to play, just close the survey window.

Zarkonnen
Level 1

Games! Kittens! Wine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »

I found it painfully hard, but then I'm not good at jump and runs. Never made it past the 2nd platform. The fact that everything moves and you seemed to have no fine control (plus the kinda annoying sound effects) made it really hard for me to gauge my jumps.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »

Pretty fun! That one piece where you have to bounce off the screen was a big stumbling block. You might want to tell the players the controls before throwing them into a match. The survey took a while to fill out: long delays between submitting a page of answers and seeing the next page.

Don't read this before playing or taking the survey: I'm serious. Don't do it. Academic integrity may be at stake!
Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm not playing against a live player, but instead against an AI, a static replay stored on the server, or a procedural replay stitched together piecemeal from multiple player sessions. It connects way too fast to another player for a small game with 4 comments here and 64 plays on Kongregate. I notice you ask for a player name, but never display the opponent's. The survey questions focused on my relationship with the "other" also seem to be leading to analysis of that sort, how the illusion of competition affects a player's mentality towards an unseen opponent, videogames and aggression, etc. More fun than Craig Anderson's TCRTs, for sure.

meno
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:44:06 PM »

thank you for your comment. i will check why the survey takes so long to respond, it was faster.

you sir, are very clever Wink
you are indeed right. but there are more players than it seems as they are coming from other forums. kongregate has been a disappointment. up to now i have had ~400 players, 900 playrounds, and 116 full surveys taken.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic