Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 03:51:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRobopolis: a puzzle platformer demo! (now playable in vista/win7)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Robopolis: a puzzle platformer demo! (now playable in vista/win7)  (Read 3725 times)
TriStarch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »

Hey, just tried this out and it's really fun!  There's some really good puzzles here.  The three floor one with the scientist was awesome!  There's so many ways you can mess it up and it felt great once I did everything right.

I definitely agree with Seiseki that there needs to be more of a tutorial, though.  I just had to trial and error my way to figuring out how jumping worked, that there was a range I could possess things, what each thing can do, etc..  I'd ramp things up a lot slower, like just have the first level only involve moving, jumping, and climbing.  Then introduce a more simple possession puzzle with no possible failstate.  Then a puzzle where you can fail, and inform the player they can restart.  

I also had a game breaking error on the first level with the possessable hanging platforms:

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object objEpossessout:

Error in code at line 40:

bitanim[i]=-16+(((bity[i]-objRC1.y)/(y-objRC1.y))*16);

at position 47: Division by 0.

I'll let you know once I play through the rest.  Fortunately, I discovered the skip level key so I won't have to restart completely. Smiley

Edit: All done!  There were only a couple levels left.  Smiley  The outdoor levels are really fun, with all the awesome new things you can possess.  The spider is fun to control, though there was one spot that felt kinda weird.  In the last level where you have to lower yourself and then grab on a wall, it felt like I should be able to press left or right to grab on.

The crash appears to happen when the player is on the center of the moving platform and unpossesses it.  Also, I had another platform related bug.  It got killed by a saw when I was on it, but I survived.  The collision box for the platform was still there and I could climb on it, though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:41:38 PM by TriStarch » Logged
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 01:36:08 AM »

I got that same error.
And the out door levels are a blast, but the spider can be a bit hard to control.

One of the things I noticed on the outdoor maps, it's really hard to tell apart the background trees and foreground trees although the background trees are a bit darker, they still have the same contrast between highlights and shadows that make them stand out.
I tried adjusting that in this following image, also an alternative way for the elevator thingies and the force fields:
(Any excuse to work on pixelart really Wink)

(it animates, showing before/after)

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 02:20:33 AM »

Thanks for playing guys!  There's some really good points for me to take away.

Seiseki that screen looks great, I see what you mean about the background tree tiles.  I thought just making them darker would be okay but the lower contrast definitely makes a difference too.  I had planned on changing the force fields as they are pretty basic compared to the effort I've put into most of the rest of it, but yeah I'll use that screen of yours to help inform my graphical revisions!.

TriStarch I can see the problem, shouldn't be much trouble to fix.  Thanks for letting me know about that!

I'll find my notepad and start converting all this into some sort of a to-do list very shortly.

Jandy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »

Created a devlog, including a new build to try out!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=27909

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic