Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:39:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat was the first game you made and finished?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: What was the first game you made and finished?  (Read 14581 times)
njm1992
Level 0

Aaaaargh!

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:24:35 AM »

Hey there  Smiley

I was wondering what was the first game you made and finished completely?

I'm curious because, I have yet to finish anything, and I've thought about starting with a Tetris clone, like a "Hello World" kind of game. I really want to go ahead and make platform games and what not, but I think I wouldn't be able to finish such a game yet. Concerned
GameRoom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »

A click-the-targets-to-make-them-explode game. Sadly it was about a year after I got into game development.
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:13:17 AM »

A really simple 2D racing game. The track was small enough to fit on the screen, so all that was really necessary was car movement and a lap counter. Car movement was pretty simplified too.

A game of mine: Ten Second War
N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:59:12 AM »

I made a two-player tank game with infinitely respawning enemies and a fake AI system that was mostly random. It didn't matter since the only people that played it were me and my brother, and we had a good bit of fun for the amount of work I put into it.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »

i've got my first games somewhere, i'll upload it soon. it was a robot maze game, a little glitchy and very hard. i also made a stickman platformer that was in a slaughterhouse, i learned alot of stuff that time and had alot of fun making it.
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »

What is the criteria? I've made tonnes of games that are playable but are without features I would have liked to add.
N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »

What is the criteria? I've made tonnes of games that are playable but are without features I would have liked to add.

Whichever one you think is the first one you've completed. If you can't decide, then none of them :>
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

I made a whole bunch of Myst-like Hypercard games back in gradeschool. (I seem to have lost all of them Sad ) Though I think the first game that I was really proud of was a scorched earth clone I made from scratch for my graphing calculator when I was in junior high. It was quite a while until I actually made another game at that point. I became more interested in playing with programming languages and unix.

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »

The first game I released into the interwebosphere was Octanks for MSDos about ten years ago. It's a two player, split screen, top down, deathmatch shooter. It's still playable using DosBox or other such emulator/VM.

I'd actually made plenty of games before then, but they were mainly incomplete and for my own enjoyment.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 06:16:36 PM »

Archerfire, a space shooter. I did three versions of it in QBasic (The first one used characters as graphics, the second one used basic Qbasic graphics capabilities and the final one... used that cool QBasic library: DirectQB)

http://slashie.net/archerFire/

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »

a qbasic dungeon-crawling rpg back in 1996

can only be played in dosbos today tho

compositeredfox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »

I suppose my first finished game was this small pixel-fighting game for a contest. I consider it finished, although I would like to make a better version of it someday.

Red pixels = blood Evil
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 02:16:54 AM »

A very choppy and broken SF2-PC remake ("Street Fighter Remake") with Fatal Fury 2 characters added in. Admittedly, I just helped with animation scripting and hit reaction editing; and it was never "truly finished," at it became ever-so expansive... like M.U.G.E.N. before M.U.G.E.N. I'd have to find and break out floppy disks, it was so long ago - but look up SFRanma2, I believe it's still up somewhere; a cohort by the username of Maximoff made something similar to it; combining SF2 and Ranma 1/2 with a wacky, off-the-wall but funny execution.

My most recent was DDR PwrMix, a Stepmania group of song medleys from DDR games similar to the "Power Mode" found in DDR Ultramix 4 and DDR Universe 1-2. Apart from the Stepmania/DWI engine themselves, this mostly was single-handed.

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »

For my first game, I made this...

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 09:20:20 PM »

I made a crappy thing in Klik & Play, called Runaway Blast.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 06:32:04 AM »

My absolute first game was a console window based hangman game, done in my first few weeks of a game programming course. I suppose that doesn't really count. The first one I did with any actual substance was an Arkanoid clone.

B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »

POWERPONG.

It was an extension of a Pong tutorial, written in DarkBasic Pro  Screamy

The left paddle was a SubZero sprite, the right paddle was a Raiden sprite, the Mortal Kombat techno song played in the background, the ball was a 4-frame animated fireball, and every time the ball hit a paddle a sound effect of a grunt would play. The grunts were recorded by me and the guy who lived across the hall over a $5 microphone.

Each player had an energy meter that filled up to a maximum of 10 units whenever they hit the ball. You could use 5 energy units to instantaneously reflect the y velocity of the ball. This actually led to some pretty unique gameplay. Do you try to score a point if you're the first to hit 5 units? Do you wait till you have 10 to double reverse it?

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
ChevyRay
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 09:56:02 PM »

Pogopher

In Pogopher, you were a Davy Crockett wannabe who jumped on gophers with a pogo stick. Somehow, YoYo Games got ahold of a copy of it and uploaded it to their site (apparently they were quite fond of it, as it's a staff pick and the 29th game on the site), so I claimed ownership of it. Why not.

My favorite part of Pogopher is the Popcorn.mid playing in the background. Brings a tear to my eye.

EDIT: Btw, this was 2003, which means I was... 14 at the time of making.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:01:13 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 05:43:10 AM »

My first game was called Fight Stuff n Shit and I entered it into a contest. My next one was called "Dick About in a Spaceship".
Going back n playin it- Oh my god this game is awesome. Camera shake, regenerating health, the animation is awesome, I love this game.

If you're gonna play it: The controls suck. You have to basically hold down the buttons until he does what you want. A is punch and S is kick, but there are some fun combos like AAS or SSA or AA up A etc.

My FIRST game was where I downloaded a .fla of a top-down driving game and changed all the graphics n code, but I didn't upload that anywhere.

Edit- HA! If you kill a guy with an uppercut, his head flies off. I love this game.
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:38:57 AM »

The first game I made was a game called Loot in Blitz Basic. A little dollar sign moved randomly around the screen and you had to follow it with the mouse. I didn't know you had to seed the random number generator, so it always moved in exactly the same way  Well, hello there!

The first proper game I made was called Alf the Elf, back in 2002, also in Blitz Basic. It took me about nine months to create, and I was really proud of it. It's really horrible to play though. It was supposed to be a humorous take on Zelda, but it wasn't very funny and most people didn't make it past the first few screens.

Each screen was contained in a seperate subroutine, each subroutine containing its own gameplay loop. I'm kinda proud of that  Corny Laugh

Alf the Elf did spawn a sequel Alf the Elf II, which was completely different and infinitely better.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic