Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:48:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat was the first game you made and finished?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: What was the first game you made and finished?  (Read 14580 times)
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »

It was a GML tutorial maze thingy where you ran around collecting crystals and lightly sampled conventional gameplay elements such as picking up keys to open doors and pushing movable blocks into holes.
mirosurabu
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2010, 04:08:44 AM »

The first game I made was a text adventure of some kind made on my old Intel 80386 PC on a monochrome (Hercules card) monitor using QBasic.

This was followed by two years period during which I made monochrome games in QBasic. I made a lot of games the ultimate one being a pong clone called Super Jimbo Arkanoid (don't ask me why it was called like that, it was simply called like that) which was a first game of mine to feature in-game music! (made in a similar style Matthew Smith made in-game music for Manic Miner)

These games were not made for any kind of market, contest, competition (no Internet at that time) and they weren't even made for friends. They were made for my personal joy. I used to have a fictional world of my own which consisted of a huge network of game companies each having a niche of their own. They had funny names like Sandquick Beach, MAML Soft, Venf Games, etc. and they competed each against other in making better games. So, Venf Games would put out a button-mashing running game and Sandquick Beach would response to that with a quiz game. I would think about a story and I remember Venf Games went bankrupt so they stopped making sports games and everyone was calling Sandquick Beach crap company and they were sad and tried hard but couldn't compete with a giant like MAML soft who won the market with their Super Jimbo Arkanoid game. That's the way I used to motivate myself. Sounds like a crazy kid? Well, at least I made a lot of games and I wish I could teach other kids to self-motivate themselves in the similar manner but I just can't, it just happens I had a lot of unexplainable imagination as a kid.

Unfortunately, I don't have these games anymore, the large floppy diskettes are unreadable so nothing to show off. ):
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 04:15:23 AM by Miroslav Malesevic » Logged
VomitOnLino
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »

My frist game that I made, was a "Guess the Number" game for the C64. That's right you input a number and the computer will say wether its higher, lower or if you got it. Breathless action! I tell ya.

[..]

Okay, on a more serious note, I made a text adventure, which was - according to my friends -- surprisingly good, albeit short. It was also on the C64, imaginatively called: "Island of Adventures". I went on to improve the parser, added rooms etc. In the end it was quite a nice full featured adventure game, that could understand complex sentences such as: "Take the sword then cut the goblin and go north".

I later ported it to PC (QBasic), amongst some other games created in this period. Namely a trading sim, a maze game and a space shoot em up a la Galaga. The space shooter even featured 256 color graphics and scratchy Sound-blaster (8bit, mono) samples - in QBasic - none the less! It was my crowning achievement back then.

Sadly, I have lost both the executables and the sources to all of them. And every-time I remember this it reminds me how easily we can lose digital "history" as opposed to tangible possessions.

Still, to this day nothing gets my imagination going like text adventures. Sadly nowadays most of them are just IF or Fanfic shovelware...
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »

Around age 5 I pulled a floppy diskette out of my parents' 386, cracked it open and drew my game on the disk inside. I managed to put it back together too and then put it in the computer.

Strangely this game never worked.  Shrug

On a more serious note, when I was a few years older, my parents sent me to Computer Camp  Durr...? Where I coded a side-scrolling SHMUP in Pascal. Without having a goddamn clue what I was doing. They posted the code on the wall and said to type it into our computers, without explaining how it worked AT ALL. Of course how you would explain Pascal to an 8 year old is beyond me, but still.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2010, 04:49:39 PM »

I made a few games in Turbo Pascal way back in the DOS days.  I also remember modding DOOM quite a bit, but that probably doesn't count.

so.  old.  Cry

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2010, 03:52:05 AM »

My first game that I could call finsihed was Fatal Wars.
You can find about it in my IndieDB page.
It was written in C(Not C++!) and using DirectDraw. It was too damn buggy so I got it off the shelves.
It was one of the first games to be reviewed in gametunnel, I think. Maybe the second round of game reviews in game tunnel. Not sure.

http://www.indiedb.com/members/pompipompi

Master of all trades.
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2010, 03:01:40 AM »

The first game I ever finished was... uh... um.........

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8468/level2p.jpg

Excuse me while I go gouge my eyes out...
AntiPseudonym
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 04:05:27 AM »

The first game that I'd actually count as finished (Not including Klik & Play or Games Factory games, mainly because I can't remember them) would probably be Peanut Patrol, done through QBasic. I was kinda proud of it, managed to get parallax scrolling, double-buffering, sound and all kinds of neat stuff going on. Never mind that the code was an utter clusterfuck, but it was my first bout with real programming.

Although now I think about it, I think that's the only personal project I've ever finished, and that was 12 years ago. Droop
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2010, 11:51:19 AM »

"Dodgefire" - a VGA, sideways-scrolling space-shooter whose title also described the controls. You could dodge the oncoming space-enemies by moving your spaceship up and down, and fire at them by hitting spacebar.

I made it in QBASIC when I was 15. Pretty much nobody had internet in NZ in 1995 (BBSs, yes, but I didn't know about them at the time) so I put it on a 3.5" floppy diskette and snail-mailed it to a friend of mine who also enjoyed messing around in QB. (I'd just moved away to a different town recently.)

I remade it later with finite-length levels in 3 different environments instead of just one unending level. No screenshots... the disks on which I backed up both versions have probably long since been corrupted by the ravages of time. Facepalm

I think I also made a "mad-lib" program on a Commodore Vic-20 when I was 10 or 11, but that's going back a bit too far to remember well. Still, unlike Dodefire, it's probably still saved - on a cassette tape somewhere! LOL.
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »

I never used to finish any of my projects, started dozens of them and never really got anywhere with them. Then I lost my job and became determined to finish something, and make a fully functioning game.
This was it.

You were a little green man who had a gun that could cut through rock walls. You had to escape from big evil spiders. I'm actually pretty proud of it and it's probably one of the best things I've done.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
ink.inc
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »

I made a shmup about a year ago as a birthday present for my friend. Her name was (is) Victoria; the game had her flying around a futuristic city, shooting shit with her psychokinetic powers. It had a lot of little in-jokes the two of us have. The final boss was killable in one hit; you had to press the F key to summon an F bomb that would wipe it out.

It was called "Five Minutes to Kick Some Ass", namely because it only took five minutes to play (and five minutes to make... okay, more like two days)

When she won the game, the victory theme from final fantasy would play.

Admittedly, it was a piece of shit, but she loved it.
pelle
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »

Good thread for introductions. Smiley I have been trying to make games as a hobby for about 25 years. So far though I have no published computer game (but one indie boardgame published last year (printed on demand by a small publisher)). I might have finished some BASIC text adventure game made at around age 10-12, but the first (and only) game I remember as feeling it was completed and playable (but never showed it to anyone really) was a game I called Signal for Attack done in Turbo Pascal in late 1990 early 1991 (age 15). Since these were in pre-internet days I didn't really know what I was doing, and was still using the ancient Turbo Pascal 2.0, for CGA (MSDOS, yes). The game was some kind of tower defense game, with enemies trying to move from the top to the bottom of the screen and the player building, upgrading and repairing various defenses to try to stop them. I had to start it up in dosbox now to get some screenshot to show and I really liked the nostalgia of playing it again. It's not very well balanced or designed, but I'm a bit proud that I made something so similar to a tower defense game 15 years before I first saw one. Smiley

HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »

I'm proud of this game because it was my very first project with RPG Maker VX and I saw it through to the end (took 6 months to develop). Sure, RMVX is a rather simple program, but it still takes a great amount of effort to see a project to its completion no matter what program you use.

The game is called devil Theory: Alpha. It is a prequel to a game I hope to make someday

The game sported a traditional front-view battle system.

However, the game was not turn-based. The battle system required a good amount of skill to get through every battle. Players could attack as frequently as they wanted, as they were not restricted by an Action Bar like battle systems in FF. It was not encouraged to spam the attack button though, as enemies infrequently dished out lots of damage. In order to survive every battle and win efficiently, players had to find a good balance between offense and defense. They had to know when to attack and when to defend (< a mechanic that not many RPGs seem to emphasize, yet give players the option anyway).

I had a few good reviews for the game, which makes me very happy, haha. All the reviewers managed to point out one main flaw in the game however, and that was game balance. The difficulty spiked in certain dungeons, and players could easily grind to a point where they could one-shot any enemy they faced and become untouchable. Despite the flaws, people enjoyed the story I presented in the game and found that the main character was unique and interesting. Also, some found that battles were actually FUN.

Again, you can check out the link to the game here: devil Theory: Alpha.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 11:13:10 AM »

The first game I've made and finished (polished) is "Obelisk Blocks".

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »

First game I finished was Firearms|Source

took me 4 years :/

http://www.firearms-source.com/index.php

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2010, 10:54:58 AM »

Back in the day I made really short and probably really bad games with RPG Maker 2003.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2010, 05:09:59 AM »

I think it was Monster Catcher, a very simple qbasic ascii game. You controlled a little ascii dude with a sword who had to deal with a pair of squares trying to chase him down which moved whenever he did or once a second. One could be killed with the sword, and the other had to be led into little pen.
I made a lot of little things like that when I was 8 or 9 so it might not have been the first, but it's the first finished thing I remember showing anybody (actually, we were at his house and I didn't have it with me on disk so I rewrote it on his computer).
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2010, 05:43:05 AM »

Laserfish in Cheeseland *shudder*

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:59 PM »

The first game i ever attempted to make (when i was 9) was known as "Shoot First".
I spent a long time recolouring a tank sprite i found into four different colours, a different colour for each player.
However, i couldnt work out how to fire bullets from the tank in GameMaker, so when you pressed the fire button the tank went speeding off in the opposite direction.

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »

My first real game was "Deepwater Blues", game based on story of a submarine pilot, who crashed in the Sea of Ghosts
In this game player must click on bubbles to support a pilot`s oxigen and read text messages.
Thats all Smiley

Game text in Russian

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic