Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:54:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeThematic / story design subforum?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Thematic / story design subforum?  (Read 4254 times)
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »

Hey, all.  Cellulose reporting in.

I'm in a writing mood lately and have an odd compulsion to actually *show* my next piece to someone at some point.  It isn't game-oriented, but many of my other scribblings have been, and I don't really feel like the "design" forum here is an appropriate place to bring any of it up, given it's primarily about game design, as in game-play-interactive-design.

I think a separate board might be warranted for the discussion of thematic elements, settings, writing and story design.  I'd consider it a practice of its own and a discipline within game dev that's quite distinct from gameplay and interface design.  What's more, with all the crap the games of the world get for being devoid of depth, perhaps it's a good idea to begin making that distinction more explicit.  Smiley

My personal interest in it would be to discuss story elements, tropes and archetypes that show up frequently in games, pin up some of my own writing (for the handful that can be arsed to read it) and discuss and critique story design in my games and others'.

I think it'd also a be great place for putting up compiled setting designs complete with art or sketches.  Those are great fun, and don't yet seem to have a place here.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
mirosurabu
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »

No reply yet?
No approval yet?

Here is a reply that approves of this idea! (:
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »

I believe writing can currently be put into Art perfectly fine, and game-story related concepts and discussion would probably go well in Design. We've discussed lots of story-elements in Design if I remember right, and I don't see why it wouldn't fit.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »

Art..?  With a separate Audio forum I didn't really get that impression.

Anyway, my two cents is there's a big difference between gameplay design and story/setting design.  I think that applies even to things like Interactive Fiction, where they're usually woven together quite closely.

Oh, man.  There's an idea.  A writing board could be a discussion center for IF development too!  Been meaning to get into it myself.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:26:08 PM by Cellulose » Logged

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
KenjiBeast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 12:58:12 AM »

I personally think a writing forum would be a good idea. There's a lot of discussion to be had about pacing, narrative structure, etc... That I'm not sure the other forums are super pro at for the time being. Just my .02$
Renton
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 04:21:18 AM »

Wouldn't discussions about pacing and narrative structure fit well in the Design subforum?
bento_smile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 06:35:06 AM »

Here is a reply that approves of this idea! (:

What he said!  Gentleman

Actually, while I see what people are saying about how it could fit into the design forum... Writing in games gets such a crappy time always, that a forum for it would just be a nice gesture, if only to acknowledge that it's worth thinking about.  Smiley
Captain_404
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 09:15:03 AM »

And honestly, it's just a subforum, it's not like it's going to be a huge resource drain. At the least, you could put it up for a month and see what happens. If it looks like it's not going anywhere, kill it, but if it seems like it could engender useful discussion that wouldn't happen elsewhere, keep it.
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »

I support this idea. Games as a whole are severely deficient of good writing, whereas they are doing great in terms of Art, Design and Audio. Any effort to improve this would be an awesome move. And what is there to lose anyway?

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »

Support vote +1

BoxedLunch
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »

Support vote +1
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »

You got my vote!

I'd call it 'Writing', as it shares elements with 'Art' and 'Design' but is neither really (this is if you take 'art' to be 'visuals'.)

Writing for interactive media is a whole form unto itself, and sadly one of the most neglected of the five principal ones used in game creation  - audio, visuals, design, code, writing.

iffi
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »

I'm not sure if there's currently enough to warrant a section separate from Design, but I guess it could lead to some interesting discussions about writing in games, so why not?
Leodiensian
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 08:28:26 AM »

I joined this forum because I had, as a writer, ideas for games that I was hoping to get input and feedback on. A writing sub-forum would definitely help in that aspect.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »

This.

A Separate section would certainly make it easier to find discussions about writing rather than having to search the Design subforum.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 06:08:58 PM »

Eh, it seems kind of unnecessary, but I guess it's worth giving a chance. I guess we could do 404's suggestion and just put it up for a month and see how it turns out.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »

I think it'll probably end up being like the Audio subforum where there are maybe a dozen or two dozen people who hang out there, and nobody else, but I don't see why we can't give it a shot. Let's do it!
ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »

Eh. Why not.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 05:49:49 AM »

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel that giving it a chance won't hurt.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »

I do notice how few people there are here from the Adventure Game Studios or IF communities. It'd sure be nice to have a place to talk about writing, since I'm working on an adventure game meself.

Seeing as the IGF 2011 Entrants thread quickly devolved into a There Should Be A Writing Award discussion, seems writing is the next gap needing to be filled.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic