Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 08:22:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativePrerelease Perks: what are your thoughts?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Prerelease Perks: what are your thoughts?  (Read 1248 times)
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »

Hello,

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster, I love this site!

I am close to completing a tactical RPG designed for touchscreen devices, and am thinking of doing prerelease orders, to fund the badly needed acquisition of a fast computer and some phones to test on. In about 4 weeks the game will be completely finished on my WinXP netbook, so I thought I'd release a short demo to whet the appetite, while taking preorders for Android.

I'd like to give a benefit to those brave souls who would give money to me before receiving anything concrete, so I was mulling over what would be a nice 'thank you' gift.

1) Limited level editor: limited because it would be designed for a 320x480 resolution phone screen, but can be used to remove/copy/rearrange things/walls/enemies. In theory, whole new levels could be made.

2) Spell/Item editor: Make your own spells and Items! Nuff said.

3) Bonus content: an extra game area, bonus items, spells, classes, or characters.

4) Other...?

What do you think? Suggestions and comments are much appreciated.
Thanks!

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »

If you're going the distance to make editor tools, I don't think they should be limited to preorders. Well-presented editor tools can really build a community for your game.

Adding an extra area for preorders would be quite acceptable, I think.
the9thdude
Level 0

On Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »

If you're going the distance to make editor tools, I don't think they should be limited to preorders. Well-presented editor tools can really build a community for your game.

Adding an extra area for preorders would be quite acceptable, I think.

I, to some degree, disagree. If you need funding and a pre-order bonus will get you what you need, then do it. However, I do feel that at some point during the game's lifespan, the editor should be available either by pay or free.

My personal development blog with my current project: Planetary Defense.
AlexanderOcias
Level 0

Games that change people

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:13:34 PM »

I've never even bothered opening a level editor in any game, but I've always checked out bonus content.
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 02:51:17 AM »

A 33% discount on preorders is usually enough. (or a 50% discount, or a 20% discount, or whatever you're comfortable with). Then customers have a concrete incentive to preorder, but they don't get anything the rest of the community can't have too. In multiplayer games, unique items are also cool, but I don't think there should be any significant disadvantage for those who e.g. haven't heard of your game in time to preorder. So no editors or special items (except cosmetic or nerfed ones).

But that's just my opinion.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic