Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411550 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: spitcards

May 03, 2024, 07:27:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl - Dwarf from Dwarf Fortress  (Read 105662 times)
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »

Maybe tantrum could work as a sort of counter move, similar to the Fire Emblem characters in Brawl. Let me explain --

As either Marth or Ike, if you press down and special, you enter a defensive stance for about a second. If any character attacks you within the first third or so of that second, Marth and/or Ike counterattack with a slash equal in strength to the attack countered (if they attack within the melee range of Ike or Marth -- if they use a projectile, the damage of that projectile is just negated). However, after that first third or however long it is, I'm not exactly sure, the counter is impossible to use and you become vulnerable to attack for the last two thirds of that second, stuck in the defensive stance.

Tantrum could work in a similar way. I mean, Dwarf doesn't have a longsword to swing around, and I don't think, given his character, it should look nearly as graceful, either, but.. maybe Dwarf should pound on the attacker for about half a second and then send them forward?
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »

Turner already has a counter like that. And it's not like the concept behind a Tantrum move is so great that it has to be included.

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2009, 05:38:41 PM »

Ah, didn't know that. Just wanted to put in my two cents.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: July 20, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

I think I've just about finished balancing the dwarf. Let me just float one more idea past you.

The one move I'm still really not happy with is Shield Charge. The dwarf needs a good defensive move to stand a chance against ranged attackers, but I can't make it a strong offensive move at the same time without making it overpowered. So I say, why not just make it a purely defensive move? Make it just like Naija's Shield Song. I think that would fit his fighting style better, while also having a more understandable effect for new players (some wondered why the shield didn't protect them from melee attacks). Plus it would be more true to shields in Dwarf Fortress.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »

That sounds like a great idea to me.

Bremze
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »

Taking out Tantrum and making Shield Bash defensive leaves the Dwarf with only one movement skill, Catapult, that is useful only when the opponent is almost on the other side of the stage. Wasn't one of the problems with the Dwarf, that he couldn't get close to ranged opponents fast enough? But eh, maybe the buffed range of his melee attacks might make up for it.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 21, 2009, 01:56:39 AM »

What happened to the suggestion of making tantrum a charge-up move, like jigglypuff's rollout from smash bros?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2009, 03:24:05 AM »

@Bremze: You have a good point, though I expect it would be offset somewhat by the fact that the Dwarf could easily use his shield move to punish projectile users. We can already see this in effect during matches between, say, Liero and Naija.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: July 21, 2009, 08:10:39 AM »

That's a good point. The Dwarf would no longer have a strong approach. However, there was no way to make Shield Charge both a strong approach and a strong defensive ability without overpowering it.

From playtesting, I can tell you that, with increased reach, and a strong defense against projectiles, the lack of an approach hasn't been a big problem, though. The dwarf is best when played as a defensive character.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: December 25, 2009, 06:25:16 AM »

Edits are welcomed as usual.

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: December 25, 2009, 07:42:39 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley awesome smile on the hat hahah

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 25, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »

lovely lovely lovely

loved it so much i did a quick touch up xD

made his face slightly less red, and his face slightly smaller.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: December 25, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »

Ah, perfect, thanks!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Mentalpatient109
« Reply #313 on: December 25, 2009, 11:05:42 AM »

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 25, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »

whoops haha didnt notice that!

Yigguth
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2009, 09:24:01 AM »

I edited it a bit. I changed the eyes but I wasn't sure if anyone would like them this way so I put both in the picture so someone else can decide
MaloEspada
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »

He now looks from one viking from Lost Vikings haha
less anime more badass
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2009, 04:51:30 PM »

He looks like he's crossing his eyes on the one on the left but not the one on the right..
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2009, 07:59:13 PM »

I prefer the first version of the eyes, it makes him look frightening. The crossed eyes just make him look like he's a few bricks short.

Durza
Level 0

What pumpkin?

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2009, 06:59:40 AM »

You haven't actually played DF, have you?

ALL dwarves are a few bricks short.

Ach! Hans, run! It's the lhurgoyf!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic