Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 11:28:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSteamlands [Nitrome Steampunk RTS]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Steamlands [Nitrome Steampunk RTS]  (Read 24931 times)
Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 03:57:09 AM »

I love this concept and visual design!  Kiss

So if I understand it correctly, your kind of micromanaging your "units" or parts that essentially are attached to a giant tank?

This is very interesting, and I can't wait to play! Ill be sure to drop some feedback once it's released!

Cheers!

Eibx
Level 0

ヽ༼ ಠل͟ರೃ ༽ノ

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 04:03:40 AM »

I love the style and design, it's just plain awesome. Hand Thumbs Up Left

"You need to be logged in to log out. Please log in to log out."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 07:34:05 AM »

I love Nitrome' style, some of their games are real spiritual successors to old school arcade (I love old school arcade). Some of their more "flash-game" games are just meh.
But what I really hate is their ten-levels-long-tutorial paradigms.
Just get right into the action dammit!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
st33d
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »

This one has two levels of "retard-mode" and the rest you're on your own.

I'm generally expecting that I'm going to get complaints that I haven't explained enough.
Lode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 12:12:04 AM »

I love this concept too! Very original idea imho. I like how your tank looks to be fully customizable. I like the little details like the people drinking tea, and the coal shoving guys.

It looks wrong to me that the tiny tank and the big tank both operate on the same size of oven and coal stack though.

I'm really looking forward to this game!
st33d
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 09:29:16 AM »

We have a talky video up on how we developed the game:

Hopefully the game should be online in a week's time.
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »

Nice pixel art and design!! I like it. I see the gameplay is with the mouse, but is there another controls as well, like hotkeys or buttons in the UI (like strategy games)??

st33d
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 02:31:40 PM »

You can hot key a selection with the number keys. There's also keys to scroll and there's keys to control the steering lever. Space reselects the last selection, or if there was no selection, selects everything.

Originally it was all mouse but after playing Starcraft 2, I spent some of my Christmas putting keys and hot key groups into the game.
ionside
Level 1

what was I doing, again?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:48 PM »

This does look like a lot of fun, and beautiful art work! Smiley

Looking forward to having a play.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »

I seriously love nitrome's artwork. This game actually looks pretty fun too. Haven't enjoyed many of nitrome's recent games, but this looks much more enjoyable.

Also, thank the gods for only two tutorial levels Smiley
st33d
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »

It's released!
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 10:54:13 AM »

it's so sexy! and the techno viking spoke swedish to me!
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 05:22:00 AM »

Nice work. Just started playing and it's really great. The pixels are lovely as always. Anyone else get a Mortal Engines vibe at all?
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:15 AM »

An adventure mode where you go from town to town building up your tank would be pretty amazing, brah.

So far I'm liking this game! Smiley

edit:
The viewport is a tad small... mainly width wise.  It makes it somewhat difficult to see what's around you, especially if you have a large tank.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:13:01 AM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 06:08:24 AM »

Jolly good fun, chaps!  My Word!
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:09 PM »

The primary appeal of the game - customizing and building your tank - is entirely diminished by the mission-based architecture. After every mission you get a new tank. Boo. Tank design is irrelevant because you lose your puppy every mission.
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »

Yeah, that was my pet peeve too.
Arts
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 01:55:05 AM »

seems great, but the intro is way too long

Developing an online racing game StreetRally
Lode
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2011, 04:39:38 AM »

Hello, started playing, am around 1/3th or halfway the map or so. It's pretty cool!

I've got a few remarks and suggestions, especially with the controls, which are somewhat annoying.

-I think there should be a key that always selects all weapons, independent of groups. Or have group 1 always assigned to all weapons by default.
-If you select weapons and then click on a target, it deselects the weapons. That is the most annoying thing of the game imho. It should not deselect the weapons, it should keep them selected so you can press on a different target without having to reselect them. Especially if you accidently misclicked the target this is extremely annoying. This would be the best improvement of the game to me Smiley
-There should be a key to stop the tank (set the speed handle to up). I vaguely remember having seen space mentioned in the controls, but if that should be it, it does nothing when I press it.
-The keyboard controls would be impossible for someone without qwerty keyboard. Both zx and ,. are often at different locations on international keyboards. It's a shame the arrow keys are already reserved for screen scrolling, because using left and right arrow to move the tank would have been very logical.

-It is very tedious to see in which levels you had all rewards already: you need to 'drive' there on the map, select it, and then press decline, to be able to see the reward information. This takes way too long. The map symbol of the level should already reveal which awards you have, or at least on mouseover. Just try to imagine you're a player who wants to get as much money as possible before going to the next mission and thus wants to replay levels where he didn't get all rewards yet, but needs to find these levels first! Smiley
-To restart a level should take less mouse clicks. I think it takes 5 or more, including quitting the shop etc...
-The shop screen and the screen where you can set flags and start mission and such should be integrated into one, instead of being two separate things that require more mouse clicks.

-As far as I know, the help file nowhere mentioned anything about the rewards of levels. And yet this is very important information as it determines your money. I saw I was given rewards, but no info on what to do to get them (killing opponents fast? attaching all blocks to my tank before leaving the level? doing as much damage as possible? was every reward for some different stat? it was not clear) I eventually found on some forum on the internet that it was with 25, 50, 75 percent of blocks remaining. The game should show the meaning of the rewards and the money they're worth in a tooltip if you hover the mouse over it, imho.

-It would be cool if you could customize your tank or choose one of several starting configurations before starting a level, e.g. choosing one of several weapons or so. It would add some extra strategy Smiley Or, as other said, have your tank configuration remain from mission to mission of course, that would rock and was actually what I expected from the game before I played it, but I know this suggestion won't be implemented since it would require a full redesign of the game Smiley.

Anyway nice game, I hope to see its usability improved more!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:44:44 AM by Lode » Logged
st33d
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2011, 06:11:16 AM »

It is impossible to design levels with no control over content you can drag between levels. And an endless play mode (done properly as opposed to a disappointing survival mode) would have been too expensive to put in a free game. If we got to revisit it as a pay-for game then it would make sense.

The space key selects all, deselects or reselects the last selection.

Lets consider the sticky selection: Say I select a repair man and want to repair a turret. Now what? Can I not select a turret to fire with until I unselect the repair man? Or does that click redirect the repair man and then select the turret too? Now I have to click on the turret again if I don't want to end up firing with the turret (because I might be trying to steal a block).

RTS games usually solve this by dividing actions on to the right mouse button and selection on to the left mouse button. This is why you don't see many Flash RTSs, no right mouse button is ever allowed.

Integrating the shop and the level select would put too much on screen at the same time. It would alienate new players. A Skip-Shop button would be simpler.

Seeing awards from the level select screen could be done by colouring the flags.

If I get to revisit it I'll integrate what I can.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic