Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 07:29:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBludgeons & Krakens (v0.9)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bludgeons & Krakens (v0.9)  (Read 3625 times)
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:46:59 PM »

This is version 0.9 of Bludgeons & Krakens! As such, some major features are
still in development:

• The (Z)tats page is not yet complete.
  • Skills have not yet been revised.
  • Not all quests appear in the Journal yet.
  • Villages, towns and cities do not all have furnishings yet, and
    some are rather under-populated.
  • The main quest is only halfway complete, and probably a bit buggy. Needs
    revising.
  • Side quests are not yet available.

If you're having problems running the game, please check out the ReadMe first. If that doesn't help, let me know what's wrong and I'll try to help you as best I can.

So, an overview of the game? Old-school CRPG. Defeat the 13 Beasts of Destruction
to face the Kraken, and perhaps greater foes. Open world, non-linear gameplay. I've had tons of fun making it. Though it's not yet ready for a release, I would like
to get some feedback on how the game is coming along.

Download .zip

Download removed. New version is on its way, possibly within a few months.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:23:06 PM by Gryphon » Logged

Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »

Download available!

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:35:45 AM »

Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right Yea! I enjoyed the earlier version, so I'm downloading now and will get back to you later with my new experiences with the game.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
copernicus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 02:31:24 PM »

I gave your game a whirl, and found it enjoyable.  There were things that were frustrating:

1.  After pressing the A key you can't press the A key to cancel an attack, which makes the UI inconsistent.  I died a couple of times when I realized I needed to heal but couldn't because I had already pressed the A key.

2.  Getting teleported into the middle of the ocean by a trap.  Luckily I keep a scroll of teleport on me, otherwise I would've been screwed because my character won't swim.

3.  There have been times where I had to look around the screen to find where I was once combat started.  Maybe you could have an aura/arrow appear over the character at combat start to make it easier to find the character.  It might also help with indicating that combat has started.  Sometimes I didn't notice combat had started until I saw that the enemies had green bars by them.

4.  Not being able to hold down the direction keys to move.  Having to rapidly tap the keys to move long distances was tiresome.  I'd really like to continue moving in a direction by holding a key down.

At the beginning of the game I get to choose skills, but when I start the game I have no skills.  This really sucked for my mage, 'cause he had to hit everything on the head with a stick because he had no spells to cast!

As the game progresses my encumbrance increases, but I never get any more spaces in my inventory, so it's completely irrelevant how high my encumbrance is because I can't carry anymore anyway!

Check out my personal website:
Nicus Props
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote from: copernicus
1.  After pressing the A key you can't press the A key to cancel an attack, which makes the UI inconsistent.  I died a couple of times when I realized I needed to heal but couldn't because I had already pressed the A key.

True, I've noticed this myself!

2.  Getting teleported into the middle of the ocean by a trap.  Luckily I keep a scroll of teleport on me, otherwise I would've been screwed because my character won't swim.

Really? I had that problem before and tried to fix it...I'll take another look at it.

3.  There have been times where I had to look around the screen to find where I was once combat started.  Maybe you could have an aura/arrow appear over the character at combat start to make it easier to find the character.  It might also help with indicating that combat has started.  Sometimes I didn't notice combat had started until I saw that the enemies had green bars by them.

Good idea. To me, this is especially important for people playing without music/sound.

4.  Not being able to hold down the direction keys to move.  Having to rapidly tap the keys to move long distances was tiresome.  I'd really like to continue moving in a direction by holding a key down.

Yeah, I agree. I'm working with a really clunky engine I coded years ago when I was first teaching myself C++, so there are a lot of inconsistencies and inconveniences such as this. I'll work on it Smiley

At the beginning of the game I get to choose skills, but when I start the game I have no skills.  This really sucked for my mage, 'cause he had to hit everything on the head with a stick because he had no spells to cast!

Haha yep, that's just because I'm currently revising the spell system, so your character does not start with any of the skills presented when starting a new game. However, the old skills are still available to learn at trainers, if you want to try them out (though be forewarned, some may cause crashes!!!). After all, I put this build out to demonstrate my new direction with the project, not to provide a rounded game experience. And the new spells will be worth the wait anyway Wink

As the game progresses my encumbrance increases, but I never get any more spaces in my inventory, so it's completely irrelevant how high my encumbrance is because I can't carry anymore anyway!

I sympathize with you Smiley But the inventory system won't change anytime soon. Back when I first designed the game, I thought the weight/encumbrance system would, along with the 10-item limit, force the player to make decisions about how much they valued certain items and prevent them from hoarding equipment. In retrospect, it wasn't really a necessary feature at all--in fact, it frequently hinders the player. Although I personally still like the idea of having such a limited inventory. (Easier to manage in the context of this game, and it does force you to keep only items you truly value). I probably won't change it in this game, but I certainly wouldn't repeat it in another project.

knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:17:09 AM »

Come for the name, leave for lack of screenshots. Tired
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:57:59 AM by the things I miss » Logged

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
copernicus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »

You might not need to change the number of inventory slots.  You could simply make some things stackable, like torches, or wolf pelts, or healing potions...  Or maybe like Diablo 2 you could have a tome to store multiple scrolls in, etc.

Check out my personal website:
Nicus Props
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »

Come for the name, leave for lack of screenshots. Tired

Screenshots shall come soon, my friend. The game uses the D. Gervais tileset, by the way--you must know what that looks like!

@Copernicus, excellent idea.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 03:58:37 PM »

Isn't the plural of Kraken just 'Kraken'?

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »

Isn't the plural of Kraken just 'Kraken'?

You are entirely right. But I feel that "Bludgeons & Kraken" sounds a little off. It also skews the pseudo-rhyming with "Dungeons & Dragons", which is important, because this project began as a D&D parody (though it is a tribute to Ultima).

Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 01:04:18 AM »

The game uses the D. Gervais tileset, by the way--you must know what that looks like!

At least some of the tiles in the screenshots are from the rltiles set.  While it's public domain, they ask you give credit.
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »

The game uses the D. Gervais tileset, by the way--you must know what that looks like!

At least some of the tiles in the screenshots are from the rltiles set.  While it's public domain, they ask you give credit.

Ah, of course! I completely forgot I used those. Thanks for the catch Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic