Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411672 Posts in 69398 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 07:39:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEmpire Building Game - in a day?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Empire Building Game - in a day?  (Read 2832 times)
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:23:37 AM »

Hi all,

I'm new here and got inspired by all the wonderfull games here on the forums. What a talent on this site.
Since I've been wanting to write a game for years now but never seem to finish it, I got myself a little challenge. Create a working prototype within a day. Today is that day and this topic is here to remind me to finish it this time lol Tongue

The game idea:
Well to keep things simple for now, it's gonna be a citybuilding/empire building game. Think a stripped down version of civilization. First goals are: create a map / be able to place a city.
If that is working... I'll build from there.

I started 20 minutes ago and gave myself 24 hours.
So far I have well... not much. Some basic outlines for a map class and tile classes.
I am programming it in c-sharp/xna with ms vs2010 as my IDE.

About myself:
I'm 32, living in the Netherlands and a big child. Been programming on and off since I was a kid, but to be honest, I'm not a wizzkid Tongue Not at all.

Anyway, I hope to provide the first screens soon!
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:10:59 AM »

http://i55.tinypic.com/2dr8klj.png
Here is the first visible part of what I have done so far.
What you see is a tilemap. Only grasstiles atm in the map. More to come.  
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:35:14 AM »

Good luck Salsario
Or if we say in Dutch: Sterkte!

I have been dealing with the same problem all through my youth (I'm now 24), but i'm about to finish my first complete game that i have been working on for 6 months. (PM me for sneak previews, - if you want to that is)

one tip: Make your goals, then stick with them. There are ideas enough, but it's that damned time that kills the enthousiasm. Keep the overview and work towards that goal.

Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:09 AM »

Thank you! Or, dank je Tongue
Yeah, I know how it goes... so many ideas, and they all look so easy to implement Tongue
Ah well... I worked some more on the game and now it has decent error logging, a camerasystem, and everything is dynamic. Now I've started working on a buttonclass so I can make a savebutton for the game Wink
(who knows, I might even add more buttons later  Corny Laugh)
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:57:05 AM »

There are different tiles now, also included but not on the picture, beach-tiles.
A savebutton, that doesn't has functionality yet. And the map that is dynamic generated but within strict rules. This mapgenerator (multiple generators are possible) takes the 2 tiles on every edge and makes them into water. Then does a simple 50% random.next on every third tile from the edge and then @random choses if it will be land or water. I plan on making the tiles that edge to the water beach tiles. But first I want to think a bit about the scale of the map. Input is always welcome.

http://i54.tinypic.com/4v1lk9.png
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 07:57:44 AM »

GO GO GO!  Cheesy Hand Shake Right

hi
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:07:11 AM »

Whehe, thank you  Gentleman
And we have our first resource, *admittedly ugly* forests!
This also means I have a base framework for resources. Although for now resources are just textures with no functionality.

http://tinypic.com/r/2uhpy6p/7 
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »

And now I'm gonna take a good shower, trade some money for beer and have something to eat. See you all in an hour or 2.
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 11:38:59 AM »

New graphicsstyle:
http://tinypic.com/r/6j1qb8/7

zuperxtreme
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »

I admire your conviction!  Beer!

6 hours so far?
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:26:51 PM »

6, 7 hours... (Edit: 7)the site mentions pm and am-times from a different zone... so I'm not completely sure. And thank you btw  Tongue Toast Left
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »

Allthough I am having a sort of block right now. Think I just need to quit for a moment and read some about other indie games. Get some inspiration. As it is now, the gameidea has evolved from a civ-like more to a railroad-building/resources-shipping game. I think for now there will be a couple of resources and towns. The player will have to connect resources via rails to towns. Player will be given x number of turns. Objective is to make as much money as possible or ship as many as goods possible.

Game idea might evolve further. Into a FPS or something lol Tongue
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »

Selecting tiles working.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2ziygs1.png

Getting hard to concentrate. Also not completely sure how to turn it into a fun game.
Theorized
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »

As a huge fan of StarCraft, this is an amazing challenge!  Smiley

If you finish it be sure to release it so I can play. Oh- and if you are worried your game won't be fun, include speedy units and speedy transport units for harassment, and include expansion. But it would be really hard to do all that in the limited time you've provided for yourself  Wink

Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 05:25:43 PM »

I'll keep it in mind :D
Well it has been about 12 hours now. Since it's 3.23am here, I'm going to stop the clock now and get some sleep. Tomorrow I'll continue. With another 12 hours on the clock. But to be fair, I didn't use all the time. A well, I have some interesting updates for you tomorrow I think. I have added some extra color support. Greytints when a tile is not visible by a unit, and a nice color when it is. Not sure how it will work out with the game idea i have in mind (which has changed again). Gonna think about that right now while I enjoy a nice wine to relax a bit Smiley
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 03:53:13 AM »

You'r still working on this? Or did the nice wine got you?   Tongue
Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 03:58:27 AM »

Hehe, just got out of bed. The wine got me :D But today I will continue. I sort of feel I still have 12 hours. But first coffee, breakfast, shower!
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 04:11:58 AM »

Good to hear.
I'm also busy with some programming and last changes for a beta release.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:28 AM »

This seems interesting. Best of luck to you.

Salsario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »

Thanks guys... But I've lost. I just started over... lol.  Cry  Tears of Joy
@nahkranoth
Looking forward to your beta! Would still love to test it !
Anyway, I will keep you informed about my new, space-empire thingie Tongue
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic