Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411675 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 08:06:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOur first Indie Game: The Blind Mage
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Our first Indie Game: The Blind Mage  (Read 1342 times)
ByR
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:30:37 AM »

Direct link to the blog: http://theblindmage.blogspot.com/2011/09/hello-world.html

Hi, let's us introduce ourselves: we are Raul Garcia (A.K.A. ByR) and Victor Arnelas (A.K.A. Znadul).

We are developing an indie game and we would like to show you part of our creation. Well, indeed it's what we have finished up to now, which can be about a 25% of the whole game.

Our 'baby' is called "The blind mage". It's a simple platform game, with unusual mechanisms. In the game you control a mage. He can't jump, he can't fly and he can't cast deadly spells.

His only skill consist of teleporting himself wherever his crystal ball is. Having that, we must gather all the coins to open the exit and then finish the level.
It's simple, we don't want to do a complex game, we want it humble and FUN. This is our aim, and I swear its hard to get.

Well, after this little introduction, I'll talk about what you will find in this demo, beta or whatever you call it.

Right now 13 levels are finished and tested. Our game will have 4 worlds, the first one will have 14 levels, 5 will serve as a tutorial, and 2 of them will be secret.
Thus, you can play almost the whole first world. In it there is only one secret level left.

Each level, apart from just playing it right through the end, will have a time to beat. If we beat that time, we will unlock a treasure. So, what is exactly a treasure? Well, discover it by yourselves.
Right now they don't have a specific function but making you smile, but we're planning them to modify the playability of the game. This will have to wait till the next version anyhow.

Well, I think that we have already talked enough. Here you have the link to the game:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QP7SV5GW

CONTROLS:

Direction arrows, Enter (start), A(launch/accept), S(cancel launch)

It can be played with a XBOX controller too, other controllers are not tested.

P.S.: Please, if you like it,let your friends know. It would be great for us that the biggest amount of people test it. That would help us a lot to have an idea about what is really good and what it isnt.

Thanks for playing!!

SCREENS

These screens are in Spanish but the game have English language too:

Main Menu

Level Selection

Treasure Chamber

Game Screens

Video with the first 5 levels (tutorial) in gold time and the treasures unlocked

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:41:48 AM by ByR » Logged
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:21:16 AM »

I like the mechanics, and it goes well with the theme. A little bit like Deadly Rooms of Death meets a Braid Lite. I look forward to see what twists to the mechanics you can introduce, because it will need some twists to make it interesting as opposed to only more and more difficult over time and levels.

The light grey walls should have some variation in them, perhaps missing bricks here and there, or a sooty particle effect or something, to make them more interesting and varied. As it is right now they mainly contribute to projecting an oppressive greyness that the torches, the characters and other scenery features can't budge.

I like this game from the videos and would like to give it a few spins! Then I'd feed your back more Smiley

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:39:55 AM »

downloading.. just to add to the graphics comment, also varying the scale of the background and foreground bricks would help a ton to pop out the game area.

back soon Smiley

edit: hi, the bouncing of the orb is waaay off on my computer. Are you compensating for the cpu speed when doing this? basically when it goes to bounce the ball whizzes extremely fast between two surfaces. the initial throw is ok, but after that it goes crazy
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:23:06 AM by RichMakeGame! » Logged

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
arrecio
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:59:43 AM »

Seems like there is a problem with number format conversion for physics strenght. Typical mistake.
ByR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »

downloading.. just to add to the graphics comment, also varying the scale of the background and foreground bricks would help a ton to pop out the game area.

back soon Smiley

edit: hi, the bouncing of the orb is waaay off on my computer. Are you compensating for the cpu speed when doing this? basically when it goes to bounce the ball whizzes extremely fast between two surfaces. the initial throw is ok, but after that it goes crazy

Try with the new installer:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QP7SV5GW
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:20:19 PM »

not really enjoying the whole install thing.. now I gotta uninstall the old one to install the new one..

giving it a go tho Smiley

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
ByR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »

Im sorry mate, it was a fast fix for the players that had this problem. I hope that works.
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »

that's fixed it Smiley. ok, i'll play more of the game a bit later. first few levels are fun! nice mechanic!

i like the idea of placing the orb somewhere safe and jumping into danger, to teleport out

Bootleg TurboDrive
www.richmakegame.com
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »

I really like this. Looks and sounds great, and the gameplay mechanic is pretty fun! I would suggest building to an executable rather than installer if your going to be posting updates here for review. I look forward to seeing how other worlds will look and what other twists you can do to the gameplay!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic