Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411652 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 11:29:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingpongpongpongpongpongpongpongpong
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: pongpongpongpongpongpongpongpong  (Read 1405 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »

pongpongpongpongpongpongpongpong (Mac version)
pongpongpongpongpongpongpongpong (Windows version)

Source code here.

This was a combined entry for klik of the month #52 (theme: "violate Atari's intellectual property") and the IGF pirate kart. It was done in 16 hours, much of that spent sleeping, and only after I found out about those two events. It is like pong, only with more pong.

Notes: 2-player; sound recommended. There are 3 different modes with slightly different rules, and the modes are customizable if you start messing with the XML files. I'm not sure all three modes were strictly necessary.

I am curious to get this working with a gamepad at some point. Actually, iPad controls might be interesting.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »

needs more pong imo
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:16:35 PM »

needs more pong imo
Well, did you try mode 3?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »

"Huh, I wonder how mode 3 works."

"Seems normal...wait...the balls aren't leaving the screen."

"Oh my god, what have you done. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE."

*actually holds his hands over his ears to seal out the awful sound and screams as the sound of pong fills the air in the last final seconds*
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:23:58 AM »

"Huh, I wonder how mode 3 works."

"Seems normal...wait...the balls aren't leaving the screen."

"Oh my god, what have you done. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE."

*actually holds his hands over his ears to seal out the awful sound and screams as the sound of pong fills the air in the last final seconds*
It's feedback like this that makes it all feel worth it :D

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »

Best take on Pong Ive seen in ages!
Chromeleon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 02:47:14 PM »

Is it just me, or does Mode 3 seem to be slightly unbalanced in Player 2's favor?  The balls go off the right side of the screen slightly before bouncing back, so it's harder for balls to get stuck behind the paddle and score repeatedly for Player 1.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »

Is it just me, or does Mode 3 seem to be slightly unbalanced in Player 2's favor?  The balls go off the right side of the screen slightly before bouncing back, so it's harder for balls to get stuck behind the paddle and score repeatedly for Player 1.
Yeah, the thing where the game is slightly off center on the screen is unintentional, I didn't notice it until after "release" and I'm not sure how it happened. There's this weird "transform" thing Inkscape does without warning and it keeps introducing bugs for me when I don't notice, maybe this is what happened.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 04:40:52 AM »

I was expecting more paddles. You have failed me.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic