Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 08:55:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[HTML5&iOS] When Earth Needs a Hero
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [HTML5&iOS] When Earth Needs a Hero  (Read 1192 times)
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:37:18 PM »

D_Dog presents:
(click text up thar)
iOS version click here
Please note: iOS and PC version are the same file, only web presentation is different. If the iOS page runs poorly for you, please try the PC link (and then tell me!!)

Check out this zany arcade shooter adventure game. Play the part of a slightly disillusioned hero, as he saves earth from over 40 different wacky, and zany enemies, through 8 unique episodes.

Features
    *Over 40 different zany enemies
    *Pumpkins
    *iPhone compatable (should be.. If you have an iPhone I'd love to hear from you!)
    *Cookies
    *8 episodes, which all up contain over 100 enemy waves!
    *shiny things
    *Screenshakes and sparkles!
    *online highscore!
    *And lots, lots more!

Screenshots!
Fighting a monsterous pumpkin and his minions;

Fighting off a swarm of wasps;

Trying not to get squashed..!

Avoiding the shots of a weird looking alien ship;

Please enjoy! And all *cough* tweets about the game would be super cool. Like, super cool. :D

Cheers!
~ends copy&pasting~

Comments, please!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 07:27:51 PM by Desert Dog » Logged

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »

Well it ran fine, nice fluid movement Smiley kudos for that.

other than that...

moving on x plane only is kinda restricting and you can't dodge some projectiles because of it and not by your fault (i mean i was on the edge of the playing field when the boss shot his projectile in a way i just couldn't dodge) - it kinda feels like an unfair advantage for the computer.

also, basic attack does way too little dmg for that amount of various enemis... i counted like 4, 5 different types of enemis till wave 13 and all took hilarious number of hits before dying. using the rockets made the game really cool... in such games you should start with really week enemies and progress, not with enemies that don't change a lot and give them so much hit points.

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

Both links are broken..
I tried to play the iphone version. It's a no-go. The screen loads but it's cut and I can't actually see the "Play" button in the episode select screen, so I can't play it...

So I played the browser version for a bit, and I pretty much agree with what davidp said.
Basically both the inability to move up and down, and the fact that it took too many bullets for the enemies to die, and the fact that there were a lot of them too early, made the game feel unfair.

Other than that the controls & AI felt pretty smooth, and the particle effects were a nice touch (and quite unexpected, given that all other graphic elements probably need to be touched up).

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »

Hi guys, big thanks for checking the game out!

first off, if your running off an iPhone, (or any smart phone.. should run on a multi-touch android, also) then just let your post show it.

Hmm, awkward your having difficulty with the enemies.. I think this is a case of me play-testing the game too much myself..

The game has a weapon system, basically you have 3 upgrades. first up-grade, more bullets, second upgrade, even more bullets, third upgrade is a temporary powerful laser. (the upgrade is the 'W')

Couple that with the rockets, and the bombs... the enemies are toast.

The x movement: Was intentional design from the beginning of design. This was for iPhone, so having more complex movements (up/down) just means more keys, which is screen pollution. At least, that was the idea!

Thanks for raising those points, though, I'll see about
1: Decreasing the number of enemies in episode 1
2: Making those particular enemies have less health!

However, I don't want to go too far on easiness. All episodes are roughly the same difficulty, or where meant to be. 20 waves each, they just have different enemies(with different behavior) and different mini-bosses/bosses.

@links: Thanks! Silly me. :D

@particles: Haha, yes, a cheats way of making graphics seem better than they are is to have nice effects. :D

@iphone version cut off screen: Thanks for report! That web-page is meant to manipulate the canvas and wot-not so that it fits, so we must have done something wrong somewhere. Sad

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »

I got terrible framerate issues on my iPhone 4. Probably about 3~5 fps. I also had screen issues where things were going off screen, so I added the game to my homepage. That fixed most of the problems, except the iOS status bar was cutting off the top part of the game. I believe there's some metadata you can include to tell iOS to hide such status bar to fix that. Still, those frame rate issues! The game was utterly unplayable, as you can imagine. Also, I had no sound.

Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:04 PM »

Thanks for checking it out! Appreciate it.

It's a pity it lagged so bad for you. Where you using iOS 4 or 5? iOS5 html5 performance is far superior to 4.

(and I thought we had that metadata to hide the toolbar... still learning here!!)

MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »

the little yellow dudes in the last screen look exactly like the characters in the indie game post below this xenophonics  Shocked
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic