Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411650 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 10:20:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingXenophonic - now with IGF instruction video
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Xenophonic - now with IGF instruction video  (Read 3017 times)
Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2011, 12:33:18 AM »

NEW Instruction video for IGF (I scrapped the other one!)

The video shows the instructions for the game!

Hello, my name is Michele and this is the project I have been working on for a little less than a year (among other things).

Before we start, take a look at the trailer I have produced a few months ago and which is in no way a final form! Smiley (should have been around this Febraury)

Oh, and this is a Xenos:

This was what spawned out of my team in the Videogame Design and Programming course at the Politecnico of Milano, in Italy, during which we had to create a prototype, or better a demo, of a game. Long story short, from 5 people only I am left, the game got good reviews at the various internal presentations and even press coverage here in Italy, I am thus now producing it with the support of a local company.

The game
Xenophonic is a puzzle game tied to a musical game in which you, the Divine, will guide the small Xenos aliens along a dangerous journey with in order to save them.

The story
Up to a few years ago, the Xenos lived happily on their world, eating, playing and singing on rhythm at the omnipresent music, gift of the Divine god of music.

One day, an alien planet crashed violently against the Xenos' world, causing a big explosion. From this big bang, a new world was born, unhospitable and void of any music.

The Xenos are now alone and scared, surrounded by strange obstacles and hungry monsters, unable to act without music! You, the Divine, cannot bear all of this and you have decided to help the little aliens find a new home.

The gameplay
The game is controlled entirely with the instrument positioned in the lower part of the screen, called Xenophone. Thanks to the notes you will play on this instrument, you will be able to act on the world.

The creatures from your world are all profundly influenced by music and, above all of them, the small Xenos.

Following the notes you will play, they will move, act, push... anything they need to surpass the obstacles they'll meet in order to reach the big stone head and get to safety! In the meantime, the Xenos will sing with you and the music in the world will be recreated once again!

Not only the Xenos live in this new world. The monsters hide in many areas and they too are attuned to music. By making use of their skills you can lend an additional hand to the Xenos.

Features
7 Xenos with different abilities
5 areas with 10 levels each
dozens of different obstacles
10 monsters that will help you resolve the puzzles
dynamyc music, getting more complex as the level procedes
lots of instruments to unlock
medals for the fastest players
a recording area

When and where?
Hopefully this spring, will be published on iOS and Android (the game has been thought for the iPad or the Wii, due to the particular control scheme) then on Windows and Mac.

A little newer stuff
These are screens and concept models made in the last months by me.

Asteroid area

Metropolis area

Cutscenes

Recording grounds!

Old main menu

First Area Music

A newer screen for you! (Although set on low quality, I'll redo it)

What do you want? D:
I have registered in this site as it looks like a thriving community and thought it would be a good place to get feedback!
For now, I have only these screens to show, as a demo would be still too unstable (I am in the process of creating levels now), but I would like to bring it online soon.
I would like some feedback on the game idea and design department! Please note that I did everything, from the programming to the music and art and so I do not have access to over-the-top artsy people. I try to do my best, tho. Smiley
Note also that many of the models shown in the video, mainly the monsters, are now completely outdated. If there is feedback, I will post more stuff!
If you like the game, check the facebook page for more screens and information or feel free to contact me! Smiley
Please excuse my English as it is not my main language and thank you for your attention!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:41:09 AM by Catman » Logged
sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »

It makes me sad when someone posts a game but dosnt include something playable. that is all

Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:31:07 AM »

Well, if you really need it, there is the final deliverable of our course, which is however eight months old and I wouldn't call it 'playable' as it has lots of bugs, due to the project having been done in roughly two months.

However, since you ask and I don't like making people sad, here it is. As long as you take note that the game is now in a more advanced phase. :D

The old demo!

I will releasing a more recent demo in a few days, if I can! Smiley
Blackcorn
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »

I'm curious to see your new demo version... BTW the links to the screenshots you've posted don't work:

Quote from: Catman
These are screens and concept models made in the last months by me.

Asteroid area
Metropolis area
Cutscenes
Recording grounds!
Old main menu
First Area Music
Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:14:24 AM »

True, thank you, I fixed them now! Smiley
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »

I only watched the video, but I don't really understand how the gameplay works in terms of what notes affect what.
Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »

It could be a little strange at the beginning, but once you know the two actions it is quite simple:

the first note you play calls a Xenos - so if you play the red note, the red Xenos will be called

the Xenos will then wait for 3 notes and according to what you play he will act. For example, three notes separated by one, rising (such as C-E-G) will make him walk to the right. Three sequential notes (such as F-G-A) will make him act.

There is only one more action added into the game, so it is not hard once you know the first one!

A tutorial has now been put into the game too, anyway, for making it easier!
sevn
Level 0

Game design student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »

Thanks for the very early demo. Had to hold myself back from playing more since I'm in class, but as you can tell, I found it fun even with the most basic of features you've implement. Not sure if I'll return and play more, but good work so far!

Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 01:42:48 AM »

Thank you, your feedback is much appreciated! Smiley
Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »

I may be partecipating at this year's IGF, so I created the instruction video.
It was made in little time, but it shows the new graphics, the features of the game and even some music!!!!

Check it out and tell me what you think! Smiley

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:30 AM »

This is quite a neat concept. I like the idea of a music game where playing the music makes the game take place, as opposed to the opposite which is usually the case.

Although, as a fan of weird analog everything, I desperately hope you somehow bash together a xylophone controller for this. Pick up a cheap kids' xylophone, rip up a USB gamepad, put the button sensors between the panels and the supports, make good. Would be excellent.

Thoughts: I think having backgrounds that react to the music or something would also be cool as long as they weren't too visually noisy. Or maybe objects in the environment would dance a bit along with certain notes.

In any case, good stuff! I'd like to see more.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 08:45:59 AM »

Thank you for the comment!

To tell the truth, at one of the university presentations I brought a Wii controller and let people play with that, with a stick showing in the foreground directly linked to it, it somewhat worked until the two candles I used to make the sensor bar melted on the desk!!!!

I'll try to look into the visual movement thing, I am trying to not have too much stuff moving at once as I am aiming for a mobile release. I'll look into it though! Smiley
Actually, some background stuff moves according to the rhythm of the song, but it's not so easy to see.
Catman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »

NEW Instruction video for IGF (I scrapped the other one!)

The video shows the instructions for the game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic