Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 05:43:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Unnatural - A Short Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Unnatural - A Short Game  (Read 1129 times)
d3sphil
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »

The Unnatural

"The Unnatural" is a very hard dodging game based on the song "The Unnatural" by CCIVORY. My goal was to have the player experience how awesome I felt the song was. In the game, you control a block that must dodge lots of stuff for the duration of the song. I won't ruing the experience. However, you cannot die. Instead, your score increases each time you get hit. The goal is thus to get the lowest possible score.

So, I made this game for a class at school. I was browsing 8bitcollective.com when I came across a song I really liked. Well, I had to come up with a new game for class in just a few days, and felt inspired to make a game based on this awesome song I found. "The Unnatural" is the resulting game. I got some positive feedback from some of my friends so I decided to fix a couple bugs and share it with the community. I've taken some advice from the Feedback forums and think it is now done.

Key Points:
  • Dodge everything.
  • Get the lowest score you can.
  • Brought to you from the Hi-Fi Pixel Collective.
  • Made in 4 days, so sorry if there are serious bugs.

Requirements:
  • OpenGL with frame buffer objects (I think OpenGL 1.5+).
  • Any modern processor should play it fine.

Downloads:

-Philippe

PS. My lowest score is 53.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 10:36:26 PM »

I enjoyed this a lot! The core mechanic was fun, and I like the idea of a game that's set to a song like a music video.

It maybe was a little longer than it needed to be. A strategic 30 second cut in the song during the early, "easy" part might improve it? I don't know.

You might want to put the controls on the menu screen or something. I didn't read the "help" screen until afterward so I didn't actually realize while I played that the "fast fall" mechanic was even there. (Also even after reading the "help" screen, I don't understand what the "precision" controls do. They seem to behave exactly the same as the arrow keys.)
Very happy to see a mac version ^_^

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
d3sphil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:33:55 AM »

Perhaps making the help more explicit would be a good idea! I know I never read help screens.
And I think you are right about the length, a bit shorter would be better. I'm not very good at audio editing though. Might make the game more bearable too =).

Anywho, thanks for the response. I'm happy to have a mac version too, since that is what I coded it on Smiley.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic