Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:45:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Air Traffic" - Side Scrolling Shooter
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: "Air Traffic" - Side Scrolling Shooter  (Read 16800 times)
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2021, 03:27:50 AM »

Basic Enemies:

stealth plane
helicopter
boat
tank

Boss:

large boat (captures joe fish)

I think two more basic enemies are needed and maybe a mini boss.  Then I can just concentrate on the level , instead of having just sea.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2021, 03:34:55 AM »

next enemy concept idea.

Boats in the distance that flick out homing missiles and travel into the players layer.
The kind you have to shoot out of the sky before they reach you, or the kind of missiles you have to avoid when they cross the player's 2D plane?
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2021, 04:02:01 AM »

The kind you have to shoot out of the sky before they reach you, or the kind of missiles you have to avoid when they cross the player's 2D plane?

Could try/have both, my first thought was to have "launchers" in the distance (not in a playable area).  They fire with the rocket going up out of shot, then enter into the players lane.

I did a post a while back with something similar:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2021, 04:38:52 AM »

Ah yeah, that's probably why I thought of that option to begin with! Sorry for explaining your own mechanics to you Cheesy

Both sounds cool. You could turn it into a form of fore-shadowing: first you get missiles fired at you from the background that you have to avoid, then later they actually come into view like a sort of mini-boss or heavy enemy
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2021, 06:23:32 AM »

Ah yeah, that's probably why I thought of that option to begin with! Sorry for explaining your own mechanics to you Cheesy

Both sounds cool. You could turn it into a form of fore-shadowing: first you get missiles fired at you from the background that you have to avoid, then later they actually come into view like a sort of mini-boss or heavy enemy

Yea that sounds cool.  I like the idea of pulling things from the background in.  Reminds me of this...

https://youtu.be/1Q_EU3Yo690?t=107
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2021, 06:45:34 AM »

Oh wow,TMNT IV. That takes me back! Grin
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2021, 07:14:25 AM »

Oh wow,TMNT IV. That takes me back! Grin

Yea sorry I'm stuck in the 90's Smiley
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »

"CLOSED"

"OPEN"

Need more of an obvious silhouette for the missile, there's too much scaffolding around it....

I suppose I could make the scaffolding fall apart as the rocket takes off.  Just need to achieve a lot in a matter of seconds.  Will animate it next to see if it's worthy.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:51:46 PM by retrophilion » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2021, 01:36:53 AM »

I dunno, it kind of works as a weird contraption in the distance. Also, regarding the "few seconds" remark, if it emerges slowly from the water that might add to the sense of dread. Or, alternatively, if the rest of the screen is hectic, it becomes a kind of "sneak attack"
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2021, 12:46:22 PM »

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 06, 2021, 01:11:27 PM »

Does it make sense that the missiles hover for a second before shooting into the skies, physics-wise? No!

Does it look extremely awesome? YES!!!
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2021, 12:12:36 PM »

Does it make sense that the missiles hover for a second before shooting into the skies, physics-wise? No!

Does it look extremely awesome? YES!!!

hehehe

retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2021, 09:29:43 AM »

I'm still alive.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »

At least one internet person that you've never met IRL (that is, me) is very glad to read that Smiley

(although I also had no direct reason to fear that you weren't, tbh)
PMSoundscapes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2021, 02:18:47 PM »

Wow this looks amazing! I really like where this project is going. Are you in need of a composer?  I can compose in any style you may need and I have a degree in music composition. I've already written for 3 other indie games and I'm looking to take on some more projects. Hit me up if you're interested Wink

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2021, 04:13:08 PM »

I sure hope this project is not abandoned, it had very good potential and attarctive art direction.
retrophilion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2021, 06:17:55 AM »

I sure hope this project is not abandoned, it had very good potential and attarctive art direction.

Currently "Sleeping", but I'll be honest with what's going on.

My day job at a local games company is quite full on, I'm in crunch most days.  My way of combating this was to apply for government funding, registered a company, did a video pitch etc... but it was rejected.  So my issue that I'm trying to get around is time.  My current job eats time, and funding which would give me more time I can't get.  Which is leaving me to think I need another job to get out of the constant crunch times.

Super Air Traffic is on my mind everyday, it's a question of "when" and not "if" it will be released.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 06:24:28 AM by retrophilion » Logged
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2021, 06:21:22 AM »

Glad to hear you haven't given up on this.

Your health comes first though
Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2022, 04:24:52 AM »

Glad to hear that, I hope the new year will provide more oportunities for you to work on your game
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic