Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:10:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWhy Not? (Working title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Why Not? (Working title)  (Read 800 times)
fishtaco567
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »

Hi! It's finally come my turn to post a DevLog on here, so exiting!

This is the official DevLog of my game "Why Not?" (Working title)! It's a 2D side-scrolling RPG with heavy focus on story, and fun gameplay. The title is based off of the theme, "Why not?", why don't we do things that can't make it any worse that it already is. The main character asks himself this one day, and can't find a good answer, and then........ Wink I've chosen to do a side-scroller to allow for more interesting fighting.

Description/Goals
I am doing a non-class, or level based system. You do gain proficiency while performing an action, but that doesn't effect your performance very much (Improves accuracy slightly for missile weapons, and allows for 10% harder hits with melee weapons). All weapons are wield-able from the beginning of the game, and are fully customizable and upgradable. There is only a 10% difference from minimum weapon damage (for the type), to maximum damage. The main focus of fighting is skill, you will be able to go through an entire battle with anything and not get harmed, simply by analyzing them and changing your strategies accordingly. There will be four main types of fighting, although you're allowed to use any of them at any time, and if done right, two together. Melee, Ranged, Magic (Nothing new) and Telekinesis. Telekinesis involves flinging small inanimate objects at whatever you're fighting, while staying out of the way of them yourself. It is what I expect to be a main draw to this game.

So...... onto........
Devlogs!

BlinkLog 1!
Before writing this, I've gotten collision, rendering, and a bit of the level setup done. I really haven't drawn any good sprites, so I'll spare your eyes. For collision, I used SAT, which is actually quite easy to implement, and can represent any shape, well, convex, with a finite number of sides, but anything can be broken into convex things, and circles don't need to be implemented now, but I don't think they'd be too hard. As for rendering, I'm using OpenGL default, but also am going to implement DirectX for windows, and Java2D. That's pretty much all for today, but next time I'll hopefully have some sprites ready!

Levathia Bound Devlog - A Metroidvania

Everything's procedurally generated if you think about it.
fishtaco567
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:11:05 PM »

Log 2!
Drew a few sprites, thought a bit, not much done on the game, although I did go out fishing and catch a 3 lb Crappie!

Levathia Bound Devlog - A Metroidvania

Everything's procedurally generated if you think about it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic