Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 01:10:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Bunny's Happy Adventure / Sad Journey
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bunny's Happy Adventure / Sad Journey  (Read 2986 times)
Poor Lazlo
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »

A platformy kind of game involving a Bunny, a Happy Adventure and very possibly a Sad Journey as well.

I'm actually not sure quite how the gameplay is gonna pan out, but I figured I'd post about it, to force me to work on it.

Anyways, it looks like this right now:

From humble beginnings, right?

This is my first flash game, and I have exams right after the end date for Assemblee. What I'm trying to say is, I probably won't finish this, or at least not on time.

I'll do my best, though. Smiley

Anyways, todo:

--Fix Sprite on Sprite Collisions
--Friendly / Enemy AI
--Implement Sad / Happy switching.
--Decide exactly how to reward score.
--Write minimal yet heartwarming/wrenching story.
--Design levels

And now, after updating to the latest version of flixel in order to fix collisions:

--Get level to draw.
--Get background to draw.
--Get self and enemies to start in the right place.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:11:36 AM by Poor Lazlo » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:16:39 PM »

I'm intrigued as to what would happen to turn the Happy Adventure into the Sad Journey.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »

Probably the same thing that led Bill and Ted from an excellent adventure to a bogus journey, but that's just my interpretation of the thread title.

-SirNiko
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »

I'm intrigued as to what would happen to turn the Happy Adventure into the Sad Journey.
The happy adventure was climbing the cliff and the sad journey, shown near its conclusion in the screenshot, was falling off it.

Poor Lazlo
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 04:42:28 AM »

I came up with a central mechanic!  Coffee

Basically, there shall be two versions of each level which you can switch between at will. One, the happy adventure, will involve no risk, and you can waltz right through without being troubled. Enemies will be friendly, and act as lifts and elevators and the like. You gain no score for this.

In the sad journey, you gain score by the bucketload, but are absolutely swarmed by enemies. Perhaps there will be different ways to go through the level depending on which version you are playing, I dunno. Anyway, the basic idea is a risk/reward approach to score, with that being controlled by the player. It could be fun or, you know, not fun. Smiley

There will be a different story depending on whether you are in the happy or sad, which will hopefully give you more reason to switch between them. I suppose that really depends on how well I can write about a rabbit.

--MESSAGE END--

So, ehm, I think I broke my game:

Whoops.

It's pretty hilarious, but I should probably fix that.

EDIT: Fix'd.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:18:05 AM by Poor Lazlo » Logged
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 04:48:04 AM »

Oh, I should probably ask, I'm not inadvertently ripping someone else's idea off, am I? That wouldn't be good.

I realise Eversion is a 2D platformer with a  similar switch between nice and scary world, but apart from that the mechanics aren't really that similar. Honest.

But is there anything else I should play, that will make me immediately scrap Bunny's Adventure?

Also, a side note: What do people think of the name? It sounded great at one o'clock in the morning, but now it's starting to look a little bit like a pile of wank to me.
Kazerad
Level 1

Should really make more games.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »

Oh, I should probably ask, I'm not inadvertently ripping someone else's idea off, am I? That wouldn't be good.
There is a Half-Life 2 mod called Flipside where you play as an escaped mental patient who can flip between a Happy Joy World and an Everyone Is Out To Get You world, and only while in the latter can he climb and attack. The controls were a little dodgy though and as far as I know it never reached anything beyond a single test level.

I really like the idea you have of "risk VS reward". In both Eversion and Flipside you needed to switch between the "happy" and "sad" side to reach the end, but here it sounds like you are using it solely to taunt the player and test how far they are willing to go for a high score - which I think is really neat. I'd stick to your idea; I think it'd be sufficiently different than anything that's been tried before.

Poor Lazlo
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »

Wow, flipside looks really fun and weird, I'll have to try that out.    Addicted

But yeah, despite having the same "one world can't hurt you one world can" kinda thing going on, I'm trying to achieve something different with Bunny, so I won't scrap my idea just yet. Smiley
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »

Even if it's been done before, you should keep going. It's not a commonly used mechanic, and there's lots of possibilities for variation.

-SirNiko
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 02:07:25 AM »

Huzzah, bunny adventures!

I just fed our rabbit. Real-life rabbits flop back and forth from Happy Adventure to Sad Journey all the time, due to being Timid Creatures.

I enjoyed the broken game. Falling forever.

|
Poor Lazlo
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 06:47:09 AM »

Well, fuck. My Windows partition appears to be virused to fuck... Pah.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a decent Linux AS3 IDE? Or, failing that, antivirus for Linux that allows one to scan a windows partition? I have tried ClamAV, and it doesn't seem to be working.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic