Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 01:20:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAssemblee: Part 2Ribbon! - inspired by/remake of Vib Ribbon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ribbon! - inspired by/remake of Vib Ribbon  (Read 5143 times)
genericuser
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »

Idea: Vib Ribbon remake using hammedhaaret's assets. The Assemblee music is packed in, and you can add your own music. Extra features?

Engine: Will try to use PySFML - if this doesn't work, Construct.

Current development plan:
  • Testing; character movement and research into beat detection.
  • Proper character movement and animation; jumping and running.
  • Background objects.
  • Obstacle spawning at certain points of time.
  • Player reactions to obstacles.
  • Music control.
  • Beat detection; real-time or preprocessed?
  • Spawning obstacles in time to music.
  • Scoring, and game states.
  • Polish and bugfixes.
genericuser
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »

Reserved in case I need the extra post.  Wizard
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:58:06 PM »

I'd remake usagi youjimbo with that

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »

I wouldn't focus entirely on the beat detection and stuff. Vib Ribbon worked best with it's own built in tracks where the music sequence was hardcoded. Once you put your own CD in it became insanely difficult.

genericuser
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 06:20:22 AM »

I wouldn't focus entirely on the beat detection and stuff. Vib Ribbon worked best with it's own built in tracks where the music sequence was hardcoded. Once you put your own CD in it became insanely difficult.

Good point. This is why I might just make the beat detector a separate program/module.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:47:07 AM »

Good idea; Every Extend Extra Extreme on XBLA does this. You play tracks from the media player, and adjust the tempo to fit. A small tempo-finding tool would allow the player to use their own music (Unless of course the songs have slightly unfixed or shifting tempos).

Nice idea, anyway! Makes me wish I'd made some slightly more substantial music in the first part.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
hammedhaaret
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 07:51:17 AM »

wow. how did I ever miss that game. looks really cool.
can't wait for this.

let me know if you need any help with the assets.

- Bastian
Tesse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:20:10 AM »

It really was hardcoded ? How do you know that ?

Please be friend of me.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:26:41 AM »

Vib Ribbon worked best with it's own built in tracks where the music sequence was hardcoded.

It was to a degree, I think, although occasionally I would get slight variations on the obstacles that came up. However, if you put in a CD that had the in-game tracks on it, but which wasn't the actual game disc, it would generate levels for them that were much more difficult that the standard levels.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
genericuser
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 06:56:22 AM »

17/12:

PySFML is set up now - might have to experiment with it some before I can begin work on this. Hopefully I'll be able to make this within the deadline. Or, at the very least, 7 days after the deadline, which is probably going to mean "within the deadline" anyway.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »

I'm pretty sure the same sequence of obstacles came up for the normal songs every time. It makes the most sense from a game programming point of view too, if the tracks are the same every time why not just hardcore the most fun set of obstacles to match the music.

Beyond the fact the sequence was always the same you can tell it was hardcoded because it matched the songs really really well and the CD matching tech they had never matched them that well.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic