Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 02, 2024, 11:31:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhalliQuit
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: iQuit  (Read 4359 times)
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:47:57 AM »

sorry to disappoint the iPhone fans, but iQuit is not a new game for the iPhone... to be honest it's not a real game at all Smiley

I made this simple "game" last week for celebrating my last day of work in the industry, so yeah, I guess the real announce here is I'm leaving the game industry for working full time as indie developer Cool
Probably this is not going to be the news of the month in the indie scene, but I wanted to share it with the main communities I follow just because I'm really excited for my new life/career.

Anyway, iQuit is a real executable and if you want to try it, you can download it from my website, but don't blame me if you don't like the gameplay, the disclaimer here is pretty clear  Wink

Well, it's time to make some great games now (hopefully), see you online  Smiley

Davide "m3xican" Coppola - Vindicta Games

Sim Betting Football, the only football betting simulation game
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 12:24:19 PM »

Not sure it's the best idea to just drop your job in order to go fulltime indie.

It'll most probably be very, very hard.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PlayMeTape
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »

I say go for it. You only live once and there's always ramen! I hope to do the same one day (first I just have to have a job to quit).
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »

Not sure it's the best idea to just drop your job in order to go fulltime indie.

It'll most probably be very, very hard.

I never said it's gonna be easy.. but I'm a slacker and I need challenges in my life... Smiley
Anyway I hope things will be fine and I'm quite confident about it, for now at least Wink

I say go for it. You only live once and there's always ramen! I hope to do the same one day (first I just have to have a job to quit).

Thanks! The "you only live once" was one of the main pros when taking the decision...  Smiley
Good luck with your job hunting then.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »

Good luck, i have done the same, but it's not an advice i would give to anyone, there is no graal other their, except self esteem

alspal
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 03:46:46 PM »

Self discipline is the best.
m3xican
Level 1

si vis pacem para bellum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:58:54 PM »

Good luck, i have done the same, but it's not an advice i would give to anyone, there is no graal other their, except self esteem

Thanks. I totally agree, I'm sure this is the best thing for me now, in this period of my life and for several personal reasons too, but it's definitely not the final solution to all the problems for everybody.

Self discipline is the best.

That's not a problem if I'm interested in what I'm doing / working on  Smiley

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »

Nice use of 3+ megabytes

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 04:03:08 AM »

good luck mate =] make some great games! and dont procrastinate

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »

Qt!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »

Everything is better with ramen.

Most delicious cheapass coder food in the galaxy.

We need a ramen emote.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eraser
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »

Overkill use of Qt. Assembler could chop this simple app into a few kb..

Best of luck. I hope you've read up on other people's experiences here. If I were you, I'd take the advice of many and at least keep some sort of side job to help support yourself.
falsion
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 04:44:58 PM »

Pixel doesn't need to quit his job to make games. And that guy is from Japan. Same with Kenta Cho (ABA Games). As you know, Japan is same place that brought us the term "karoshi" or death from overwork. I mean, you oughta know how many long hours people work over there.

I never understood this whole quit your job to "go indie" and make games thing. Are people for real when they say this? It always sounds like an excuse to just sit home and do nothing. It's a pretty dumb idea to get rid of the thing paying your expenses. And even if you do make games, making money off of them is a crapshoot no matter who you are (even if you're a mainstream games developer, nevermind a self proclaimed "indie" one).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:58:03 PM by falsion » Logged
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »

I never understood this whole quit your job to "go indie" and make games thing. Are people for real when they say this? It always sounds like an excuse to just sit home and do nothing. It's a pretty dumb idea to get rid of the thing paying your expenses. And even if you do make games, making money off of them is a crapshoot no matter who you are (even if you're a mainstream games developer, nevermind a self proclaimed "indie" one).
People are for real, and people do make good money making games. SOME indie game makers make a living doing it too. The ones that usually do the best are those that had a job in games and span off of that. Marketing means that it's less of a 'crapshoot' then you imply.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »

It's a cultural difference:
-japanese guys work hard at real job , do game on spare time (doesn't sleep probably) slave hard on game for years and doesn't get money from it (gets ideas stolen by american kids who then go on to invent the "indie scene")
-western guys is a lousy worker, hates his jobs. Quits job and makes a maximum noise when quitting, makes sure he annoys everybody. Post a 3 Mbytes app that does nothing , gets blogged about on indie websites. Gets money from becoming an indie star and releasing vaporware.

just kidding guys, I don't think m3xican is a lousy worker.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
falsion
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »

But why not quit your job after you've made something that is selling well enough to pay for itself? That's pretty much what every webmaster who has started a popular website has done (everything from Facebook to even YouTube).

What's with the recent trend of quitting your job before you've actually made (and sold) anything? I've never heard of this until I joined TIGSource and now there are threads about this on any given day of the month. It's almost some kind of running gag at this point. Since when did being "indie" become synonymous with quitting your job anyway?
ChevyRay
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 05:11:46 PM »

Since when did being "indie" become synonymous with quitting your job?

It never has.
falsion
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »

Since when did being "indie" become synonymous with quitting your job?

It never has.

Then explain the term "going indie," cuz I hear that used around here a lot.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »

Most of the people who 'go indie' HAVE made something that's worth while while working at a bigger place. It's kind've an American Dream to bust out on your own and make something big of your self "get rich or die tryin'"

A while ago people were trying to make a distinction between 'indie' and 'amateur' or 'hobbiest' with hobbiest being those dudes who had another job and made games as what they do in the night time. Inversely indies are those who make a living, or at least try to, making games. Funny enough 'indies' could also just be developers that are independent of a publisher, and can still have a medium budget of 5-10 million, like Chris Taylor stated.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
falsion
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »

Oh really? That's kinda dumb. Why were people trying to make that distinction? Hobbyist sounds like such a loaded term. Like, oh that person just does it as a hobby, he/she doesn't really care about it like those who quit their jobs for it. I mean, come on. Everyone who makes games independent of a huge studio is indie whether they have a job or not.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic