Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 10:44:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSurvivors of Ragnarok
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Survivors of Ragnarok  (Read 19484 times)
Tastyrice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »

Smiley Thanks we've been working on it frequently just never have the chance to update this devlog. As I said I will be updating more frequently.

Multiple Selection

One problematic issue that arises is how the game handles multiple objects on a single tile. When a tile with multiple objects is selected an animated yellow border is used to highlight the tile. The tile is broken up into 3 categories; buildings, consumables, and combat.

Right clicking on a a tile with multiple objects will bring up an interface below the tile selected. Left clicking selects the item to destroy/attack. Right clicking anywhere on the interface, or right/left clicking on the highlighted tile closes the interface the interface and the dwarfs proceed with the carrying out the actions. Left clicking on a free tile section closes the interface and cancels all orders issued.

The highest priority action for a dwarf is combat, followed by consumables, and finally buildings.

If a tile has multiple types of a single category the bottom interface changes. The bottom interface is set to category icons while a top interface appears to show what objects are within that category.   

If however a category only has one object within the selected tile it will display as normal while the other categories are replaced by icons.

Tastyrice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2011, 04:09:26 AM »

Jobs and Stats

Implementing a proper UI to effectively display jobs and stats presents some interesting challenges. You need to balance aesthetics with a functional design while constantly fighting the temptation to simply make a spreadsheet.

Health and Energy

The red bar represents how much health a dwarf has (pretty self-explanatory what health is). The yellow bar represents energy; the amount of tasks a dwarf can complete).

Needs

All dwarfs have three main Needs, thirst, hunger, and sleep. Each with a degenerating state; Satisfied, desires, and needs.

Trades and Professions

Trades:
All professions are categorized into trades; labor, construction, academics, arts, and combat.

Professions:
When a trade is selected it will display all the available jobs within the selected trade.
The top icons represents the professions; Woodcutting, mining, farming, and fishing (its suppose to be a piece of cut salmon OKAY! some of the icons need to be reworked).

The bottom icons represents what skill level each profession is and the bar to the right represents the progress in leveling the profession skill level.

Novice, Proficient, Skilled, Expert, Master, Legendary

A dwarf may have more then one job active at a time. However taking more then one job inhibits the leveling progression of both jobs.

A dwarf that has one job has 100% leveling progression, if he takes two jobs the progress for both is 50%, 3 jobs the progress for both is 33%, etc.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2011, 04:46:55 AM »

Woah, cool!  Kiss

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2011, 06:13:55 AM »

This looks SO wonderful!  Great work mein friend!

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »

Oh my eyes - gorgeous! The menus look cluttered to me; they remind me of Dungeon Keeper.

Tastyrice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »

Oh my eyes - gorgeous! The menus look cluttered to me; they remind me of Dungeon Keeper.

I tried using all the space i had :-/ we work with low res stuff so pixel space is precious... also some random stuff i was working on cause i'm working on some tedious recoloring.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 07:28:48 PM »

the menu does look a little cluttered. maybe get rid of the symbol below and go for something simplistic. maybe just do a single bar, or maybe add a number instead. something easier to recognize then the hammer

the need icons look very good. I really like those. what is the M below the Energy and the Health?

Tastyrice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 05:07:51 AM »

:D thanks for all the feedback I'm currently on a tight deadline this week but I'll make sure to redesign that bottom bar Smiley

Tastyrice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »

the menu does look a little cluttered. maybe get rid of the symbol below and go for something simplistic. maybe just do a single bar, or maybe add a number instead. something easier to recognize then the hammer

the need icons look very good. I really like those. what is the M below the Energy and the Health?

The M has to do with the dwarf stats. It will change the bottom bar to go from Professions to the dwarfs attributes.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 05:28:19 PM »

I tried using all the space i had :-/ we work with low res stuff so pixel space is precious... also some random stuff i was working on cause i'm working on some tedious recoloring.

IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR,
BELOVED BY ALL!
Sigz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »

Holy mother of all things epic.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »

cool, if you need more help with the menus hit me up with a PM

Tastyrice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2011, 06:36:53 AM »

New UI, still a work in progress at the moment.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic