Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 07:04:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZ4R - iOS Hypershooting Madness!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Z4R - iOS Hypershooting Madness!  (Read 1381 times)
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:07:38 PM »

Hello! I'm here to share my latest project!

It is an iPhone shmup called Z4R.(for now)
It's main mechanics revolve around precision shooting and conserving ammo.

You can read about it here on my blog.
(pretty pictures most definitely included)

I'd love to hear any ideas or comments anyone might have.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:48:12 PM by Jakman4242 » Logged

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:17:12 AM »

So after lots of playing around I've came up with a central idea that I think I like:

Your ammo is your score.

Gameplay mechanics all revolve around this.

Watching numbers for how much ammo you have left is lame. If the player simply knows they're losing something if they're firing blindly, then that seems much more natural and intuitive incentive for the player to watch their fire.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

Just checked out the game-- yes, much like that.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »

Update!

http://jackedtech.blogspot.com/2011/08/z4r-following-weeks.html

I've added some enemies, tuned my game engine, and contemplated a graphics overhaul to make the game more alive.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:02:42 AM »

Can we see some new screens?
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »

Sounds interesting. My initial fear is that shooting is one of the key verbs of shmups, in fact embedded in the name. It might feel stifling to be punished for exercising this. But it is also an interesting take on the genre, and I can see some fun real-time decision making coming into play -- do I shoot those turrets on the side so I have less bullets to dodge in this part of the level? Should I shoot the formation of asteroids to make it easier for me or try to weave through them?

Just wondering how you are going to provide a compelling flow experience where the player is conservative with shooting; will it be a game primarily about dodging, and you are rewarded for challenging yourself to dodge more (by destroying less obstacles)? At any rate, this sounds like an interesting project Grin (love shmups, particularly when they try something new).

If it is worth your time, check out a shmup I worked on with some friends (free: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/shooter/v-prototype/4638/). We had some similar thoughts with a combo system that rewards you for strategic attacks instead of blind firing, encouraging the player to let enemies group up instead of just picking them off as quickly as they could.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »

Can we see some new screens?

Soon, yes!

Sounds interesting. My initial fear is that shooting is one of the key verbs of shmups, in fact embedded in the name. It might feel stifling to be punished for exercising this. But it is also an interesting take on the genre, and I can see some fun real-time decision making coming into play -- do I shoot those turrets on the side so I have less bullets to dodge in this part of the level? Should I shoot the formation of asteroids to make it easier for me or try to weave through them?

Just wondering how you are going to provide a compelling flow experience where the player is conservative with shooting; will it be a game primarily about dodging, and you are rewarded for challenging yourself to dodge more (by destroying less obstacles)? At any rate, this sounds like an interesting project Grin (love shmups, particularly when they try something new).

If it is worth your time, check out a shmup I worked on with some friends (free: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/shooter/v-prototype/4638/). We had some similar thoughts with a combo system that rewards you for strategic attacks instead of blind firing, encouraging the player to let enemies group up instead of just picking them off as quickly as they could.

Yeah, I've had many of the same fears. It's certainly a design challenge, but when I'm done I feel that I'll have something fresh and unique. The emphasis is not primarily on dodging.

Right now the gameplay is based on "hmm that's a risky shot, but it could pay off..", since some targets are easier to hit than others. I'm still working on adding more layers of depth, particularly some layers of depth which will be risk-and-reward but not necessarily reliant on motor skills.

Your game was pretty interesting! I gave it a try, but I'll need to spend some more time on it later.(looked like there were more ship weapons or something that I'd be able to try out)

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 05:00:40 PM »

http://jackedtech.blogspot.com/2011/09/z4r-daily-saturn.html
Made a little newsletter for my game. Sorta.

You can also just check it out directly, here:
http://maninbluesweatshirt.com/z4r/news1.pdf

It even has a screenshot! Wink

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:46:28 PM »

Whoah. Things have changed:
http://goo.gl/c07FR

Blog post includes screenshots, cool story tidbits, and some insight into my art process!

I'm becoming much happier with the direction my game is going in.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic