Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 01:01:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsThe MONOCLE ENGINE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The MONOCLE ENGINE  (Read 67596 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »

I need (if this takes off) the help of Mr. Derek Yu via hugs and front page support.

I'll keep hugging until my dick falls off!  This is an exciting idea.

Another thing I could help with later on is writing tutorials.  I like tutorials.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »

How do you intend do go about making your game engine? I would envision an engine with built in frameworks that let you make simple platformers, RPGs, Roguelikes, etc., along with an option to work from scratch.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 03:57:10 PM »

Wow, I'm feelin' the love.  Kiss The potential here is pretty exciting with all these talented folks on board!

Valter: The base engine is going to handle the core reusable components of all games. Timing code, input, rendering, game object management, resource management, garbage collection, update structure, platform-specific stuff. Its going to have a design focus based on components that should make it easy to extend.

On top of that, it'd be possible to build templates for various other game types. This is where the community could come in very handy. But the focus for the core engine is to help you build whatever game you want by taking care of some of the annoying base details.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:02:32 PM by Alec » Logged

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »

This sounds totally awesome.

Question, why no PS3? Not that it affects me at all.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
progrium
Level 2

Swords will fucking cut you wide open!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 04:07:41 PM »

I'm in LOVE with this idea and I hope to do whatever I can to support it.  Kiss

Jeff Lindsay
progrium.com
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 04:09:41 PM »

have you some spare devkits? Wink anyway if structured well it will be able to run also on ps3, even if to really use the console horsepower it will surely needs some specific optimizations

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »

have you some spare devkits? Wink anyway if structured well it will be able to run also on ps3, even if to really use the console horsepower it will surely need some specific optimizations
Wow, no I feel stupid for asking the question. :D

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »

Haha, I added it to the list!

Basically its up to people with devkits who support the engine to do the work of porting it and verifying the test applications. I have friends with XB360 + Wii kits, but I don't know anyone personally with a PS3 kit yet. But that certainly doesn't rule it out.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Very solid idea Alec, and I'm 100% behind it.  I'd quite like to switch into something "real" instead of GM, but of course I have no desire to learn all the things to just draw one sprite on the screen.  I took Computer Science AP all the way through high school, and basically got to the level that I would have been at the end of a first year university course.  That said, I hated many finicky aspects of it, and just let my C and Java knowledge fade.

An engine like this that would lay a lot of the groundwork sounds absolutely fantastic, and it would be enough to force me to learn C++.

Multi-Platform is huge too, because we all dream of making a solid game, and then getting as many people to play it as possible.  Oh, and on this front, would DS/PSP be added to that multi-platform list?  Because I think a lot of us love portable games.  And I know Ishi and Hideous have messed around with the DS.

And do realize, this could do for indie gaming what good music software has done for indie music.  It will be epic!  Grin

Regrettably I can't offer much when it comes to code stuff, but I'd be happy to provide any help I can when it comes to interface design.  I use a large and varied suite of software on a regular basis, and I pay a lot of attention to their respective interfaces; what works and what doesn't; workflow; speed; etc.

So in short, make it happen man, we're all behind you!  Smiley

Oh, and sorry to address something off topic, but I just had to:
I like tutorials.
I know, and it would be nice if you'd do some more drawing tutorials, as I need to improve my drawing skills and I no longer have a drawing class (like I did last semester).
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »

Oh, and I just came across this image in an article and had to post it.

:D :D :D

I think this may be a reason why it should be open-source!  :D
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »

Alec, I am all for this idea. Umm. I can't program well enough to contribute, but I hereby promise to offer all involved persons an unending stream of moral support. Kiss

I know you are the type of person who has the determination to see something like this through. That, more than anything else about the idea, sells me on it.

I'm also very excited about the idea of a free, open, multiplatform alternative to Game Maker. I think you should seriously consider making this a central part of the project. I really think making game development more accessible to artists and writers is incredibly important for the future of the medium, and this could be a great addition to the growing stable of available tools.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »

Will people use it, though? I mean they'll have to learn to program in C++.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »

Will people use it, though? I mean they'll have to learn to program in C++.

Yes they would. The thing is, if you're going to learn a scripting language, you might as well learn C++. The syntax in most cases is very similar, and C++ has more functionality. Its also a very valuable skill to have in the games industry.

That said, since the engine is built with C++ components, there could also be a component made that was a "scriptable" component using LUA or another scripting language that could interface with the rest of the engine.

The purpose of this engine is for "pro" development, not necessarily for people just starting out - but I would still encourage folks interested in learning programming to learn C++ and use it. (and the intent is to provide documentation to that end)

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »

I am very keen to use this engine.

I'd also be happy to contribute bits and pieces, but engine programming's really not my strength.
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 10:28:15 PM »

Haha, I added it to the list!

Basically its up to people with devkits who support the engine to do the work of porting it and verifying the test applications. I have friends with XB360 + Wii kits, but I don't know anyone personally with a PS3 kit yet. But that certainly doesn't rule it out.

Hopefully I'll be able to get my nasty sexy hands on one of these in the very near future. I do have friends with PS3 experience, but as someone else mentioned if the engine is structured well enough you could port it to the PS3 later.

Boobs,

Tommy

Nava
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 10:38:25 PM »

I hereby promise to offer all involved persons an unending stream of moral support. Kiss

I'm in this boat. And it is a loveboat.
Fantastic idea Alec, I can't wait to watch it develop (and hug you right on through the tough parts). Let me reiterate the common opinion that you always give a passionate 110% to any project you work on, and I think that fact is going to encourage a lot of eagerness and participation from the community. This is exciting!   Gentleman
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 11:10:20 PM »

I really think making game development more accessible to artists and writers is incredibly important for the future of the medium, and this could be a great addition to the growing stable of available tools.
I'd like to address this, because you (Alec) said that this engine would include 3D functionality.  As I've said again and again, architecture and game design are tightly integrated because they both deal with space-planning and user interaction with spaces, and it's just the function of the spaces and some aspects of interaction that differ.  Gamespaces are expected to be fun, or challenging etc.  And real world spaces, well, yeah, houses for living, parks for playing, etc.

What I'm getting at is that if an optional front-end for this engine were made that allowed 3D models to be fairly easily imported and interacted with, and maybe minimal game-mechanics added, the engine could serve as a tool used by architecture students hungry for this kind of thing.  We already make 3D models and have fly-throughs etc., but interaction is so much better, and were it simple enough to do, we'd put it to good use (I highlight the simplicity thing because although we all use 3D modelling and graphics programs like Photoshop and Illustrator, you'd be hard-pressed to find a lot of design students who know much about coding).

I know this is looking pretty far into the future, but it's something to keep in mind, simply because of the waves that a program like this could create.  It probably goes without saying, but I'd be willing to put serious work into creating this front-end if that ever looks possible.

Anyway, GO ALEC, YEAH!!!  Kiss Kiss Kiss
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 11:15:04 PM »

Hehe, thanks guys.

Yeah, we're going to have to start small and simple and see if we can work our way up to insanely awesome. Smiley

There's definitely enough talent with everyone here to make it happen.

medieval
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 01:11:05 AM »

You don't know half how SUPER-EXCITED I am by this  Kiss

The indie community NEEDS an engine like this!

After the engine is done, are you going to make a sort of a graphical user interface ?(similar to Game maker except for the drag and drop bollox, and of course much better)
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2009, 02:12:52 AM »

After the engine is done, are you going to make a sort of a graphical user interface ?(similar to Game maker except for the drag and drop bollox, and of course much better)
I think the beauty in this being open-source is that if Alec is a little tired out after finishing the main engine, any other (hopefully TIGS affiliated) group could go about creating something like that!  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic