Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:47:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsThe MONOCLE ENGINE
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Author Topic: The MONOCLE ENGINE  (Read 67597 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2011, 11:29:35 AM »

Josh Whelchel (indie game composer extraordinaire) is writing an audio system for Monocle. It has some cool possibilities, check it out:

Audio Demo 1:

Audio Demo 2:

Eraser
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »

Can't wait until a scripting language gets implemented Wink In the mean time, it's looking great all around. These are some features that will seriously speed up development.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »

Can't wait until a scripting language gets implemented Wink

+ 1
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »

Aye, aye. We've been looking into a lot of different scripting languages.

What's been holding us back is we haven't found the "perfect solution" yet. (there may not be one)

I'm probably going to mess around with implementing LUA for the time being.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2011, 08:06:34 AM »

Cool, glad to hear about LUA since it's a pretty common language for people like me who can script, but not "program."
bengrue
Level 0

I code. A lot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »

The difference between scripting and programming is purely mindset; If you can script, you're a programmer.

I used to hold the same distinction back when I was scripting games 15 years ago*.  When a C++ "engine" coder pointed out that the code I was writing was just as "real" as his, my eyes opened.

(*get off my lawn)

Current Project: Sully: A Very Serious RPG

Executive Producer of Dungeons of Dredmor

@bengrue on the twitternets
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

The difference between scripting and programming is purely mindset; If you can script, you're a programmer.

I used to hold the same distinction back when I was scripting games 15 years ago*.  When a C++ "engine" coder pointed out that the code I was writing was just as "real" as his, my eyes opened.

(*get off my lawn)

So true... but it is so hip today to say "hey I put my gameplay in a script so I don't have to mantain it" as if it was thrown out of a window.
I always say that if you do scripting, you end mantaning the C++, the script AND the wrapper, and you program your gameplay through a sandbox wich you coded in the first place.
It is just stupid, if the program is meant to be developed by some-3 guys.

but this is a generic engine, so the scripting fits perfectly  Gentleman

Chris Pavia
« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2011, 03:21:42 PM »

I understand what you're saying Grue, but I the distinction for me is that if you gave me an engine without a scripting layer, I'd be pretty clueless as to how to use it to build a game. And I'd be pretty clueless if someone asked me to build an engine of even basic complexity (although if you know of any good learning material I'd love to check it out!).
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: May 03, 2011, 07:02:47 PM »

I think there are a few additional points here:

For People New to Programming
One of the reasons GameMaker is popular, is because it includes everything you need to make a game. You just grab one download and you're good to go.
- tools (level editing, graphics, etc)
- reasonably easy-to-understand scripting

You don't need to go download compilers, libraries, etc. You don't need to learn the (sometimes ugly) in-and-outs of C++.

The advantage of using a scripting environment is that we can setup something that is really accessible. i.e. Eventually you'll be able to just download Monocle pre-built for your platform and start messing around with scripts and using the built-in editors to make a game. Combined with video tutorials and a helpful community, I think this would be a pretty welcoming way for those new to game development to start out.

And the way Monocle is setup, once these folks figure out scripting, they can start hacking around in the C++ source if they would like to customize the engine further. (or if they'd prefer to build their game code in C++ for speed)

Sort of Data Driven-ish
For Aquaria, I decided to use LUA for creatures and cutscene scripting. I think this was a good choice, because it let the scripts act kind of like "entity definition files." i.e. I could just scan the entities folder to find all the entities in the game. I could be messing around in the level editor, fix some entity behavior in a script, and hit "reload" to see the changes right away. Making a new entity just involved creating a new LUA file. (and adding its name to an index file, but we might be able to remove that step for Monocle)

Adding new creatures and cutscenes in C++ would have been more tedious and time consuming.

gianmichele
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »

Is this project still active. I was very much looking into it.

Gian
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic