Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 11:26:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOverrated games
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Overrated games  (Read 39645 times)
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 07, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »

The concept of overrated is overrated.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 07, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »

time to get into specifics (i actually like a lot of the games i listed btw, i didnt make it easy for myself by only listing popular games i don't like). CHECK OUT MY EDGY AND CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS

Zelda: has huge nostalgia value for me and most of them are good games. however, a lot of the later ones are action-adventure games full of simplistic combat and tired puzzles. they feign exploration and nonlinearity and have serious issues with pacing on top of that.

Half Life 2: Seemed mindblowing when it came out, but in retrospect it's just HL1 with some physics gimmicks added to it. I haven't played any of the episodes.

Civilization: A game I like that is about 3 times as long as it needs to be. You're going to spend almost half of your turns simply waiting for research to finish or units to move somewhere. Given that Sid Meier is the guy who said "a game is a series of interesting decisions", his own game has a remarakbly low density of them.

Bioshock: These games are supposedly "philosophical", but are in reality just sophomoric both-sides-are-bad "grey morality" crap. Also none of the games even come close to System Shock (I played System Shock after Bioshock btw).

Braid: See above. Ok as a puzzle game, but as a "deep" narrative game? Come on.

Ikaruga: A good game but not actually that outstanding in its genre. Just gets a lot of hype from people who haven't played other shmups.

Okami: Zelda with all of the pacing issues magnified tenfold. At least the gfx are pretty.

Dark Souls: My own stance on this game should be clear enough, but I feel like Dark Souls 1 in particular gets too much praise. The "interconnected world" is cool and all, but in the end Demon's Souls and Bloodborne surpass this game in level design. DkS1 has some levels that are legitimately terrible by any standard (Lost Izalith!!!). Also the Souls fanbase is getting shittier and shittier.

Doom 2016: Got the benefit of initial low expectations and sudden hype. It's better than Serious Sam and Painkiller and is a fun game in general, but like the aforementioned games, gets old extremely fast.

Super Mario RPG: Feels more like a prototype for the far superior Mario & Luigi games.

Ron Paul: Never had a chance in hell to even win the primaries and in the extremely unlikely event of getting elected president would have immediately sold out all of his ideals. He is also racist and was only popular on the internet bc he wanted to legalize weed. Also US libertarianism is dumb.

Barack Obama: Failed to close Gitmo and continued the US's imperialist foreign policy unbridled.

No More Heroes: It's kind of cool that most people who played this game seemingly failed to realize that it's a very mean spirited satire of gamer and otaku culture. However, that doesn't change the fact that it's a shitty beat em up with nonexistent level design, bad motion controls and inane minigames.

Fire Emblem: One of my least favorite SRPGs. There's not a lot of interesting strategy in these games, and the static AI hampers the tactical part. They're basically puzzle games with dice rolls for damage.

Metroid Fusion: Good, but nowhere near Super Metroid.

Video Games In General: Most videogames are designed to waste your time with bullshit and the "medium" in general is frustratingly conservative and narrow in its focus.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:54:29 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: January 07, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »

just to be clear I don't actually play games and only derive pleasure from the medium in an abstract way by abrasively arguing online about the ones I remember playing

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
_glitch
« Reply #363 on: January 07, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »

Schoq's posts are always high quality. Approved by me.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: January 07, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »

don't encourage it

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 07, 2017, 10:02:08 AM »

Rick Santorum: I forgot who this actually is, but I like his last name so why not include him?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 07, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »

This thread is pure salt

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 07, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »

Bethesda games: Are fun but playing them feels like gorging on fast food. There are a million things to do but most of them are boring/the same and none of them provide a memorable experience, except morrowind because its world is more interesting than the rest. They are also massive timewasters. Bethesda also butchered Fallout with FO3 and to a lesser extent 4.

Little Big Planet: This is what happens when you spend so much time on your level editor that you forget to make a decent game.

Final Fantasy: Another RPG series with games that are about 5 times as long as they need to be.

Ico and SotC: Ico is a fairly normal puzzle game and SotC is just Boss Rush Zelda. These games are not in any way "experimental" or capital-A Art (even Fumito Ueda himself says this). They just have good art direction, is all.

Gunstar Heroes: Maybe I am too young but I have no idea what the big deal with this game is. It plays like every other run n gun ever.

Total War:
Michael Bay strategy games with cringey voice acting.

Golden Sun: A bog standard JRPG with really inane story sequences that got a lot of attention for 1. having the best graphics on GBA, 2. introducing a lot of kids to the genre.

Al Gore:
Talks about global warming while driving an SUV.

Resident Evil 1-3: I'm sorry but bad controls are not scary, they're just bad. RE4 is by far the best in this series. 1-3 are still ok tho.

Pokemon: A series consisting of about 5 million nearly identical games (not counting spinoffs because no one cares about those).

Mega Man: See above.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:04:49 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 07, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »

Here are some more overrated games

Spelunky: not a real word

Cave Story: stars a green nosed dude with sideburns and an antenna on the back of his head

Mario: ridicules the working class

Donkey Kong: bananas are all clones

Dragon Quest: super saiyans are racist

Ghosts n Goblins: the polka dot underpants gag is not very funny. also decide on a title ffs

Crusader Kings: i heard theres this weird tradition in sweden where everyone watches some shitty ivanhoe movie from the 80s every year in january or sth.

Splatoon: bad title pun

GTA: cars are bad for the environment

Saints Row: it's the nutshack

Madden:
why is this weird "sport" called football while actual football is called soccer?

The Order [whatever the year is]: the ODOR

Assassins Creed: contrary to popular belief, Dan Brown is not a good writer.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 07, 2017, 01:40:41 PM »

In my opinion, making, purchasing, possessing, playing talking and thinking about video games should be outlawed.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 07, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »

Dragon Quest: super saiyans are racist
[...later that evening Silbereisen was found dead face down in his driveway with a PS2 copy of Dragon Quest 8 piercing his spine. Spraypainted on the pavement next to his body were the words "Smiling Blue Slimes 4 Life Muthafucka!" beneath a crudely drawn blue gumdrop-looking thing. The police still have no suspects.]

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: January 07, 2017, 03:00:10 PM »

Optical media for video games (oh cool you have to wait 10 seconds when moving between rooms in every game now and the reader is always the first part to fail on any unit, but at least they can store lots of data except 100% of the time all it was used for was really ugly "FMV" cutscenes and allocating budget towards them is of course mandatory to show that the game was expensive)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:30:22 PM by Schoq » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 07, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »

otoh carts were often expensive af compared to CDs
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 07, 2017, 03:15:41 PM »

if megan fox married michael mann and adopted his surname, she would be called Megan Mann
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: January 07, 2017, 03:30:07 PM »

otoh carts were often expensive af compared to CDs
a nice meal is often expensive af compared to poop !

The 2016 Eurovision winner (I don't even remember the song at all but it's obvious no matter which side you're on that Ukraine won for political and not artistic reasons, especially when you compare it to Russia's contribution which was an actually catchy song with a frankly jaw-dropping stage performance, which was nodding at but greatly surpassing Sweden's winning contribution from the previous year)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:38:22 PM by Schoq » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 07, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »

ur still salty about this lol
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 07, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »

say the guy who drops salty beat about video games, you should start a bbq music band together

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 07, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »

gimmy's posts are the second most overrated right after schoq's
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 07, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »

Vaporware always allow for people to imagine what's not there

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: January 07, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »

Safety razors (I bet whipping up lather from shaving soap with an authentic badger hair brush and then going at it with a $200 piece of shaving equipment is fun and all but don't pretend it's about somehow getting a higher quality result rather than weirdly fetishizing the first half of the 20th century)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic