Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 03:39:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUnearthed
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Unearthed  (Read 4742 times)
Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 12:57:09 AM »

It's been a long time since I’ve done an update.

I decided to take some time and tackle random level generation, but I didn't want to do the BSP style or random cave. I wanted to take a more modular approach to level generation, meaning that the level would look familiar but would be in a different order when you played again.

I didn't want to spend time creating my own editor and the GMS room editor would do the job perfectly. The room editor is used to create the individual modules as shown below.

The green squares are the connections nodes for each module.

The data for each modules is currently dumped into an INI file when the game starts which is then read back in, the reason for this was partly for debugging and can be easily moved to another storage method.

The first module to be placed is the start module, the next module is selected at random and rotated on the connection node until it is no longer colliding with the start module. After the module has been placed it’s removed from the list so it can’t be selected again, a random a node from the module is selected and new module from the list is picked and rotated until it’s not colliding with any modules.

The process repeats itself until all modules have been removed from the list, you can see the result of the level generation below, using the modules above.

You might also notice that the nodes without connection have been blocked, this is the final process in the level generation and it’s the same process as before but it does not check for collision with other modules.

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »

Very interesting!
I always wantd to understand this topic much better and i am slowly getting an idea.

Cheers!

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 12:43:45 AM »

@Bombini I hope my ramblings made sense and helped you.

So it's been a busy week, I didn't quite get time to finish of the crafting system I had been working on, but I did make a little playable demo if anyone is interested, would really appreciate some feedback.

Unearthed Alpha Demo
Note: Controls in the readme.txt

Unfortunately I had to remove the traps and puzzles from the build as they aren't quite right and are causing some problems Embarrassed

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 12:58:54 PM »

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »

Yes this is still going, and I've been hard at work.

I've been struggling with using the GM:S inbuilt A* path-finding, it's really caused some headaches, because the levels are quiet large and it's causing considerably performance issues. So I've started working on a node based system which will be faster, this will be some extra work placing the nodes in the modules but it will be work it.

I also been tweaking some of the player combat mechanics, it's starting to feel a bit more how I imagined, but there is still some work to do on this area to get the feel right.

And I know you all like screen shots, so here is a mini boss!

I'm just tweaking the AI for it. The idea is it stomps around causing rocks to fall, once they fall it picks them up and starts throwing them at you. At the moment it's little to accurate at throwing, so need to dump it down a bit, so the player isn't always clobbered.

Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:11 AM »

Really nice line of sight system and lighting! Smiley

Dewfreak83
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 07:11:56 AM »

Very nice to see how additional detail has been added from your first starting screenshots. Looks very neat!

Some feedback:
  • The character tends to blend into the ground a good bit
  • I can't really tell where the doors are, besides maybe little slivers of light giving it away
  • I preferred your earlier weapon-swing animation, the new one looks like he has some pretty stubby arms

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 11:13:06 PM »

Very good progress and a huge jump!

I have to agree to what Dewfreak83 wrote:
  • I can't really tell where the doors are, besides maybe little slivers of light giving it away
  • I was unsure in the first place how to pick up a weapon

Scifa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 01:04:12 AM »

@Fenrir - Thanks, it took a while to get it right but I'm really pleased with the results Smiley

@Dewfreak83 @Bombini

You're both right about the doors, I'll see if I can come up with a way to make them more noticeable. The floor tile has been lightened and some detail has be removed from it to fix the blending issue with the character this also help with objects on the ground being in easier to see.

I really wanted to come up with something smooth and fast for the weapon swing animation but it didn't turn out quiet right; stubby arms lol Embarrassed

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, I really appreciate the feedback Toast Right

And now for the obligatory gif

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic