Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411603 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 01:00:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Maestros RTS/MOBA is on Steam Early Access!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Maestros RTS/MOBA is on Steam Early Access!  (Read 9380 times)
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

This looks very interesting, I'll definitely check it out. But I don't like the UI a lot, and maybe you could put more attention to the lightning in the scene. Anyhow, the gameplay looks interesting enough to make me not care that much of those details. Nice job!

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »

Haha, couldn't agree with you more, Cesar.  We've got plans to overhaul the UI completely, but it's been lower priority for us than gameplay things right now.  Anything you feel would improve the lighting?

CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »

I feel like you have to pay more attention than you should to notice the shadows, maybe it's just me, but the first couple of times I saw the game I thought that the game had no lightning at all, just the texture. Maybe if the shadows were more notorious it would look better. But as I said, maybe it is just me. Shrug

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »

You know, we've had a lot of trouble with shadows.  Given all the settings defaulted to first-person games, Unreal very frequently doesn't know what to do with a camera at our distance away.  We end up with little (or sometimes no) shadows, stuff that's overly mip-mapped, etc.  We'll take a look at the shadows and see if we can't get them to be more clear with some graphics settings.

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »

Hey Guys, my name is Mark Yampolsky, and I’m the User Interface Engineer for The Maestros. The Maestros is a brand new Arena RTS where you can command, build, and customize armies on the fly and pit them against other commanders in the heat of battle while defending your own. We just launched our campaign on Steam Greenlight, so be sure to check out our page!

http://greenlight.maestrosgame.com

Today I want to talk to you a bit about our visual language, how it’s evolved, and how our interface has improved as a result.  If you’ve been with us since the Alpha, you’ll notice in our current iteration that the UI has gone through a pretty significant makeover in terms of coloration, arrangement, and assets. This is part of an iterative process to improve the existing UI so it’s more modern and user friendly.

Fig 1. Old In-Game UI

Fig 2. New In-Game UI

The in-game UI has for the most part remained visually the same, with the exception of new design for the pause and score menus. However, we wanted to address some serious usability issues where we felt the important information such as health or unit count weren’t displayed as prominently as they should have been, leading to users being unaware of their player state. Most notably, our health bar was too bland and our population count was, in some cases, completely unreadable.

To make the health bar more prominent and user-friendly,  I brightened the green to create more contrast, as well as incorporate color switching from green to red at low health. This, in combination with strengthened screen bleed when taking damage meant we could alert the player of their dire situation with enough time for them to react accordingly to avoid death. I also added numbers on top of the elements that before were purely analog representations of health. This combination of analog and numerical representation allows the player to glance at the bars momentarily and get a general sense of their player state, but if they choose to pay closer attention to gain granular information, their exacts stats are present as well.

In UI/UX design, arrangement and color use are especially important. In an average game, if you were to remove the UI, the majority of players would concentrate on the center of the screen, since that’s where the most action/gameplay occurs. Various combinations of the color and layout can be used to not only create aesthetically pleasing graphic design, but also draw players’ attention to specific areas of the screen. I like to call this “visual traffic,” which essentially is an abstract measure of how often players look at parts of the interface. As a result, arrangement and color played a critical role in determining where I placed the updated population bar.

I knew we wanted to represent the population as a bar/number combination just like we did for the health bar. What I also knew for sure was that the bar had to be blue since green and red were already reserved for representations of health while yellow and white were reserved for score indications and alerts. In terms of placement, I knew we wanted to consolidate it with an existing portion of the HUD, because the less time the user spends darting their eyes around the screen, the more time they can spend concentrating on the game itself.

Another addition to the population bar was the vacuum tube at the top. This was actually originally an aesthetic addition, inspired by the steampunk aesthetic of the Teutonians and vintage tube amps, but as I added functionality to it, it became an essential part of the UI. Basically, the way it works is when you reach a full population (20 if you’re a Teutonian, 10 if you’re an Alchemist), the vacuum tube lights up signifying you’ve reached maximum population, and the bar animates and displays in a lighter color. The reason I wanted to bring attention to a full population bar as opposed to an 80% or 90% population is because once you have a full bar, it fundamentally changes the way the game is played. At full population, it’s impossible to gain any more units, so your focus shifts from farming to fighting players or transforming your army. I felt it was imperative that we notify the player of this shift so that they don’t farm without reason.

When iterating through prototypes with the population bar on the central HUD, which contains the ability buttons and health bar, we discovered placing the population bar on top of the health bar was too busy, and could result in the two easily being confused at a quick glance, and placing it underneath the ability buttons meant it was too out of the way. Placing it on the minimap felt clunky, and placing it with the game score at the top would mean mixing player-specific data with team-specific data and wasn’t intuitive. In the end, I decided to place the population bar on the inside of the unit selection menu. This made sense because it brought more visual traffic to an underutilized gameplay element, and the population of your army is directly correlated with the unit types you choose to transform into.

Fig 3. Old Lobby Design

Fig 4. New Lobby Design

We use a virtually identical design process when working on any portion of the UI, regardless of how large the task is. For instance, when unifying our design language, we made sure that our coloration of elements was consistent across the board – black text on decorative buttons for clickable elements, yellow text for dynamically passed information such as player level or games played, and white for alert or information text. We’ve downsized all of the game buttons for a more modern design and even shifted our entire main menu to the left side of the screen to accommodate the future implementation of submenus in an effort to minimize the number key presses a player has to make to jump into a game.

An interesting and fairly recent example of this is the addition of banners to the menus. Whenever I go through a redesign of a menu, I take a catalog of all of the elements I need to display, and try different layout combinations to find what fits. To take a term from the film and theatre industries, I call this step in the process “blocking,” similar to when a director determines where actors will stand and move around a set for greatest dramatic effect or proper sightlines. During the redesign of the lobby screen, I tried about 7 different configurations to determine the most optimal layout. In one of these configurations I positioned the red team and blue team player lists at the top of the screen, stretching horizontally across the top of the screen.

Fig 5. Lobby Blocking Prototype

This, on top of the fact that we’re designing for 16:9 screens, didn’t leave us with a lot of vertical space for the red and blue team header text above the player lists. On the flip side, the lists were overly wide for the information we wanted to display, so I took advantage of this by creating vertical colored banners to represent the teams. In the end, I reverted to a variation of the original layout, but the banners carried over from the variation before because, frankly, they look dope. In fact, it was that design change that influenced the addition of menu banners across the board.

Hope you enjoy learning a bit about our UI design process. After over three years in development, we’re finally launching our greenlight campaign so we can hopefully launch in Early Access sometime soon. Support us on Steam Greenlight!

http://greenlight.maestrosgame.com

And just as a bonus gif, here’s our new loading screen design :D

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »

Hey everyone, my name is Michael and I am the Lead Artist on The Maestros. We are an action-packed, multiplayer strategy game where you wage war with a Commander and their transforming units.  

Today we are going to dive into what gives The Maestros it’s eye-catching layer of magic, our visual effects (VFX for short).

Heated battles wouldn’t have the same appeal or “punch” without something to accurately represent an attack or ability. Visual effects are a great way to create resource-friendly visuals to help our players see the impact they are truly making. We also use VFX across our maps to add life to our world in the form of pouring rain or floating fireflies.

Various Teutonian VFX
Various Alchemist VFX

Cascade
Cascade is Unreal Engine’s internal software for creating particle systems. I take the following steps when using Cascade to bring any VFX from concept to a finished asset.

Ideas and Concept
During the concept stage I have to make sure that the VFX is easily identifiable and makes sense to the player. Status effects are a great example here. Our Medimoths have a healing ability which should immediately look like it is healing your nearby units, say with a big green plus sign, rather than doing something unexpected when cast.

Correct Medimoth healing VFX
Wait… what?

Textures and Materials
After I am happy with an idea, I start by correctly setting up textures and material functions in order to create the VFX inside of Cascade. VFX materials need to have functions such as Particle SubUV (creates a grid over a texture map) or MeshEmit VertColor (allows colour/alpha options on meshes) in order for Cascade to calculate sprite sheets or render 3D meshes properly.

Sprite Sheet with Alpha
Result: Smoke
Bowl shaped 3D Mesh
Result: Pop Spring

Particles and Nodes
Cascade relies heavily on number values rather than art alone to create a particle system. I create nodes (size, colour, rotation, velocity, lifetime, spawn rate, etc.) and set them with different values to tell the art what to do over a specific timeline. In a nutshell, I am animating multiple materials together using numbers.

Code Implementation
Many of our visual effects need some form of code to help function properly, such as our team-coloured transforming VFX. In this case one main particle system is created with a colour parameter set to white (Default is X(Red)=1, Y(Green)=1, Z(Blue)=1). The code then accesses that parameter and tells which colour to switch to by adjusting those values. This eliminates the need to make individual copies of each colour for each player.

Red
Green
Cyan
Blue

Testing
All VFX goes through testing by the entire team to make sure it fits well. We want our players to instantly know what is happening and feel like they have a real, strategic impact with each button press or click. Adjustments such as timing or scale are done here to make sure it matches our needs.

Final Outcome
After all the testing and tweaking, the VFX is ready to be shown to the world. Here are some examples of our visual effects across The Maestros.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this look into the real-time visuals that makes the world of Teutonia a living and breathing battlefield.

Be sure to look forward for future posts from us!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 03:33:50 PM by stopthief » Logged

lolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »

The art style reminds me of Rise of Legends. Is there base building?

McDROID he had a farm ee-eye, ee-eye-oh.
stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »

That's funny, I think I actually put up a Rise of Legends screenshot as an art reference super early in our game's development. Especially for our mechanical faction.

There's no base building, as it's meant to be more of a deathmatch style, but I wanted to keep some of the elements of building up outside of direct player - player interaction so you build your army by fighting neutral monsters, and you convert them to specific types via transforming at specific locations around the map.

lolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 10:24:17 PM »

I'm sure Moba fans will enjoy it.

McDROID he had a farm ee-eye, ee-eye-oh.
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »

oh, very cool arts!

My last game:

Supporter of
stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2017, 07:40:33 AM »

Thanks!  The style is meant to be very Warcraft 3 inspired, with some different themes of course.

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

From noon to five PST on Sunday, November 12, a choice group of children will be overjoyed, enraptured, and entranced in the first ever look at the full Maestros experience, completely free.

If you want more gameplay details, click the link below for a brief description
http://blog.maestrosgame.com/post/119137474763/first-devlog

But Mr. Wonka, how can I get a golden ticket?
Fantastic question, Charlie.  First, you’ll need to sign up on our website https://maestrosgame.com/signup.  Then, starting as early as Oct. 28, we will begin sending out Beta Keys via email.  Only people on that mailing list are eligible, and we won’t be inviting anybody who hasn’t signed up by Nov. 5th.  If you miss it, never fear!  Sign up anyways and you could become eligible for a subsequent test weekend!

What do I get to try?
Short answer: everything.  For the first time, all maps will be available and you’ll get your hands on all three of our commanders from our second faction, The Alchemists.

You’ll be able to unlock every commander just by playing games and (hopefully) kicking some butt.

Finally, we’re finally integrated with Steam so you can invite your friends to play, and we’ll remember you on login.

Important Dates
Sat, Oct. 28, 11:59pm PST - Invites start rolling out
Sat, Nov. 5, 11:59pm PST - Last day for Closed Beta Test 1 Sign Ups
Sun, Nov. 12, 12:00pm - 5:00pm PST - Closed Beta Servers available

Be sure to sign up for the Closed Beta Test on our website: www.maestrosgame.com/signup

I said, 'Good day,' Sir!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:48:00 PM by stopthief » Logged

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 09:47:05 AM »

Hello everyone! My name is Michael and I am the Lead Artist on The Maestros. We are an action-packed, multiplayer strategy game where you wage war with a Commander and their transforming units. 

While working behind the scenes developing The Maestros, there are times where a little bit of fun ends up making it into the game in the form of a joke or Easter Egg. Sometimes humour is added on purpose while others are spur of the moment or even accidental.

One place we purposefully use humour is with some of our animations to help give certain characters a little more personality. While standing around idle, Tinkermeister will randomly scratch his butt or a cute Droplet will do it’s little dance.

While creating the visual effects for when a Commander dies, I thought it would be fun if I could add small quotes as part of the overall effect. By using a sprite sheet I was able to randomize which one you would receive upon death. This experimental visual became an instant hit adding some light hearted humour to a competitive game.

Some humour is tucked away for players to find and can only be activated via cheat codes. One code forms your army into a conga line behind your Commander. Another code pays homage to our friends over at Bloom leaving patches of grass wherever you walk. Both are cosmetic only and have no other function than comedic value.

Sometimes the development process can produce surprise bugs and glitches that add humour. During one of our weekly playtest streams I was able to capture the moment where I had discovered that I could magically select non-playable objects and move around. Here I take control of the Shrine and start running around.

As a strategy based multiplayer game, we want players to feel welcomed regardless of skill level. We feel adding in a little humour helps give The Maestros a fun and friendly charm that everyone can be a part of and enjoy.

Have you heard? You can sign up for the Closed Beta we are hosting on Sunday, November 12th right now! Head over to http://maestrosgame.com with your email to ensure you get in on the action!

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 07:51:49 AM »

Hello everybody,

With our closed beta weekend just around the corner, we thought it was time for you to meet the crew! Without further ado, meet our first faction: The Knights of Teutonia!

Tinkermeister

The only melee commander of the Teutonian army, this soldier is hard to take down. With his high health and good damage, the Tinkermeister is likely to charge right into the fray with his army close behind. With his ability creating a bubble to freeze all enemy units in a time lock, his foes need to be ready for a quick getaway if he gets too close.

Blastmeister

This agile commander is both deadly and fragile. With her high attack damage, she can tear apart single units, but needs to keep her distance as she can fall faster than any other commander. Her ability, Blast Cannon, not only pushes enemies away, but her as well, giving her an edge in both keeping her distance, as well as pursuing enemies.

Robomeister

The Robomeister is an excellent commander at taking on groups of enemies, but falls short in single combat. His basic attack, while not as strong as other commanders, deals splash damage that hurts all surrounding foes. His ability is one not to be messed with, as he fires a rocket with infinite range that deals massive area of effect damage on impact, and provides quite a fireworks display!

Doughboy

The foundation of the Teutonian army. This basic unit is received in sets of two for every neutral killed. They have no unique abilities to call their own, but by transforming groups of them units, the player can gain access to the rest of the Teutonian army. Beware though, the Doughboy alone can still be deadly in large numbers.

Euler

These bulky robots leaking with oil are deadly to groups of weaker units, and one of the few units with a two-part ability. The Euler can create a large puddle of oil on the terrain that heavily slows all units trapped within it. However, if a player happens to have another Euler,
he or she can cast the ability again on the oil slick to ignite it, heavily damaging all units unfortunate enough to be trapped within.

Jugger

The tank of the Teutonian army. These melee units are typically the first into the fray, with a charge ability that stuns enemies on impact. Even when killed, the Jugger isn't done yet! Upon his death, four Nauts are released. These smaller, weaker units have a limited life span that can continue to harass your foes.

Aimbot

Long range and zone control is the name of the game for this unit. With a powerful shot that pierces enemy units, the aimbot can make quick work of foes who group up or remain in lines. The Aimbot can also lay mines, that after a brief arming period, can deal heavy damage to those who step in their path.

Conductor

These single wheeled robots, while small, can pack quite a punch. With an already strong basic attack, these units have one of the most devastating, if difficult to use abilities in the game. Upon being triggered, all conductors will shoot an electric beam between all other Conductors within range, zapping all those between their ranks. The more conductors there are, the more havoc they can wreak.

Skybreaker

Skybreakers are the closest thing to an ambush unit the Teutonians have to offer. Their basic attack will deal very heavy damage on the first firing, but will need a few seconds out of combat to recharge to that full potential. Their ability lets them fly off and land nearly anywhere on the map dealing massive damage, as well as allowing for a quick escape.

Thanks for checking us out! And make sure to sign up for our closed beta on November 12th!
https://maestrosgame.com

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »

In our last blog, we let you in on the world of the Teutonians. These crafty and defiant mechs have their own problems as the Regalis forces grow quickly and spread across the world. Regalis are known for their ability to harness deadly natural poisons into Alchemy. The Regalis swarms follow a more natural path than their clunky foes. In this blog, we’ll detail the three Regalis Commanders, and you’ll learn how their unique commanders operate to bring their snakes and insects to the battlefield.

The Serpent Master

This serpentine commander is both a sneaky assassin and expert escape artist. With a ranged attack that allows him to keep a bit of distance between him and his foes, the Serpent Master can quickly jump in and out of combat with his versatile Vortal ability. By creating a two-way portal at a target location within range, the Serpent Master (and all his allies) can quickly engage his enemies, or escape if they are losing the battle.

To really master his gameplay, being a good escape artist is critical for players. Often you will get surrounded by the Teutonics’ heavy melee Juggers who can be dangerous if they get close. Having a quick portal out for your commander means you can live to fight another day.
Using the Vortal to port after a commander is also useful. Many times your opponents will try to escape and surprising them on the run could spell victory!

Rambam Queen

Don't let her cute demeanor trick you, as the Rambam queen is a force to be reckoned with. Preferring to stay in the rear of her engagement, the Rambam Queen lets her minions do the work for her. And she has a trick up her sleeve, as she can summon three of her loyal, more powerful, rambam subjects to further bolster her army. She needs to act quickly though, as these powerful servants will only remain on the field for a short time.

Our resplendent Green Queen controls her minions from afar giving her plenty of options from the back of a battle. It also allows her to run away quickly if things go bad. Relying on her powerful tag team of servants is important, especially knowing when to summon them. If you can pop them at the right time, you will surprise foes and even a commander by bringing them down quickly. The Rabam Queen may be cute, but she is very tough to catch and can alchemically amass minions very quickly.

Hive Mother

Like the swarms of deadly hornets that grant her her namesake, the Hive Mother is an aggressive commander that prefers to dive into the frontlines and face her foes head on. While more fragile than most close range units, the Hive Mother strikes with a power and precise strike that tops those of any of her minions. The Hive Mother can temporarily burst into a swarm of powerful hornets as well, heavily damaging all foes she comes in contact with, and allowing her to travel through all friends and foes.

Alchemists who prefer front line fighting will enjoy playing as the Hive Mother. She can take the fight to the Teutonics quickly. If she gets trapped in the melee, don’t worry her swarm ability can be used for a great damage burst and to relocate through enemies.

So there you have our Regalis faction commanders! We will be back soon with more of the troop and upgrade choices for the Regalis’ armies. Stay tuned!

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »

I just wanted to update to let you all know that our page is live on Steam and you can add it to your wishlist =)))))

http://store.steampowered.com/app/553560/The_Maestros/

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »

The Maestros World and History

The Maestros action RTS has a fun and rich history. We wanted our world to reflect the strategic efforts of battle with our own personal sense of humor in the game. Maestros rewards quick thinking and strategic play, so we wanted the world to fuel the player’s imagination as well. In an ever changing game, the environment changes quickly too. Here is a history of Teutonia and the world that Maestros is built around. After all, when fighting over maps, you should know the world where you are winning victories. You can Sign Up for more information here.

The Maestros World

Teutonia is a temperamental world.  Its people forge and break alliances on a dime.  Its plants and animals evolve, wiping out entire species or spawning new ones in a season.  Even the land in Teutonia can’t make up its mind.  Enormous volcanic islands spring up next to glaciers, or two continents casually drift together over a couple months.  As you might imagine, this keeps Teutonian geographers very busy just giving names to everything, but nobody thinks much of it because the people are equally fickle.  Today, the world is divided into 3 warring factions.

The Kingdom of Teutonia

Covering the largest and Western most landmass in Teutonia are the cities and towns of the once-great Kingdom of Teutonia.  People of The Kingdom promote the ideals of nobility and integrity and are fascinated with many disciplines of engineering and robotics.  As such, they’ve made semi-autonomous robots their companions.  When The Kingdom goes to war or defends their country, The Knights of Teutonia are called upon.  This elite rank of the tinkering Meisters rapidly build, transform, and command armies of their robotic companions to victory on the battlefield.

Genome City

A sliver of land to the Far East is covered entirely by the sprawling metropolis known as Genome City.  The people of this futuristic city-state are known as the Regalis, and they are vain and beautiful. They pursue pure biological sciences fervently.  The fruits of their research include entire new species of creatures combining the most desirable traits of various other animals.  The Regalis keep these abominations as pets, perhaps just to accentuate their own beauty.  Even more advanced genome-splicing technologies allow them to change the traits of living beings.  Some uses are quite superficial: vapid celebrities can pay top-dollar for a chemical genome splice that could give them smooth, gorgeous skin for life.  Others have been more strategic: teams of cutthroat Alchemists clone and mutate vicious, rapidly-evolving creatures to harvest and protect raw materials used for further scientific experiments.

The Tenshii

The Isles of Tenshii exist in a mystical archipelago in the Northern most part of Teutonia.  That close to the magnetic pole, Teutonia’s wild eccentricities are exaggerated:  islands filled by tropical rainforests sit directly adjacent to glaciers, and complete droughts occur just a few short miles from flash flooding.  These wondrous isles are inhabited by an equally exotic people:  a series of dark, mysterious tribes of elemental “summoners”.  Through extensive communing with the elements they are able to conjure elemental beings or aeons from thin air. These aeons are both their friends and their protectors.  Due to outside hostility, many tribes have recently rekindled The Tenshii League that once rallied their many tribes to protect their magical lands.

The Maestros History

Teutonia did not always look as it does today.  Just a decade ago, it was united as a single, continuous landmass and a single, united Kingdom of Teutonia.  Its people were content to pit their respective companions: robots, aeons, and mutants, against one another in simulated battles at The Arena for the fame and fortune associated with being a “puppeteer”.  But then a rift splintered the supercontinent and sent the three regions floating off in three different directions.  What used to be fun and games in The Arena turned into brutal battles as the once-peaceful peoples of Tenshii and Genome City fought a disorganized war for their independence.  Their so-called warriors were sports celebrities, puppeteers pulled from the arena to fight in a war for the freedom of their respective homes.

Eventually The Kingdom gave up, and the factions stayed quietly within their respective borders for several years except to trade.  That all changed with the discovery of Arkanium.  Arkanium is a rare and powerful mineral – it’s thought to be the source of the mysterious conjuring powers of the elementalists.  Alchemists from Genome City found it to be a potent ingredient when mixed with the chemicals used in rapid-evolution.  Coincidentally, it’s also the most effective semiconductor in all of Teutonia, making it essential to the advanced robots engineered in The Kingdom.

The Isles of Tenshii are brimming with the stuff.  Arkanium is spreading like wildflowers – growing season and all.  The mineral reportedly breaks the surface in different locations during specific seasons – causing massive land-grabs on the islands when it happens. The three factions have learned from their mistakes in the last civil war, no longer will they throw vast numbers of warriors at one another in hopes to come out victorious.  Now they send small, elite teams to harvest the valuable goods and leave quickly.

If you’d like to hear more, Sign Up to hear about our future beta test and releases!

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »

Hello everyone! I am Michael along with Dru and we are developers on The Maestros. Check us out on Steam if you want to add it to your wishlist!

It's important to keep game clarity on your mind during development. Games can inadvertently become a busy mess. Colourful characters, vibrant VFX, enchanting environments, and even UI/HUD elements can cause confusion and frustration to players. Separating these elements into readable and easily notable groups can greatly improve the player experience.

After receiving feedback from our latest batch of public testing, clarity was something we needed to refocus our efforts on. 11.5% said they often felt unsure what was happening during gameplay with 42.3% feeling somewhat confused. After pooling all of the responses we grouped these issues, and focused in on graphical clarity.

Graphical Clarity

As the name suggests, issues that fell here are what the players saw on screen. Our visuals happened to blend a little too well for some players during intense gameplay.

One main graphical change took the form of what is called a “Sobel Edge”. Think of this as the stylized comic book black outlines you may find in highly stylized games or graphic novels. Applying a sobel edge was a non-destructive process that allowed us to customize the look and feel of The Maestros quickly and effectively.

First the scene is rendered in real time based on depth (distance from the camera) where white is up close and black is farther away. Then where high contrast occurs between these values a line is drawn.

Adding this sobel edge helped us show players what is important, like Commanders and Units, compared to less important things like the ground. This also added a level of polish to the overall art making The Maestros a little more glamorous in the process.  Here’s the before and after, notice how much more characters stand out from the environment after.

Before

After

Another graphical update was the addition of damage flashing. Previously it was difficult to see if one of your units was taking damage. To solve this we added a coloured flash to the individual character mesh whenever they were hit.

This let players know who is being attacked. They could then react to move their army to safety and overall more strategically. We also added the ability to see when both enemies and allies are being damaged to show who you are dealing damage to and to help save a friend in need.

Lastly we improved some outstanding UI/HUD elements, namely icons and cursors. Icons on our minimaps now represent places such as a transform pad or an enemy camp. This also included icons for the Shrine and Dreadbeast. Our main cursor also received an upgrade to closer fit the scheme of our current HUD.

We hope these graphical additions will help players immediately understand their surroundings and play with confidence.

Movement & Player Input

Another area that we received feedback on was pathing.  Over half our players found that unit movement got in their way at least some of the time.  Pathfinding is a difficult problem even for the most veteran developers, but we want to carve out a solid, consistent-feeling movement experience.

Issues often group together to obscure a problem like this though, so we looked for low hanging fruit that might hinder our evaluation of unit movement.  In particular, sometimes clicks and selections are only "generally" what a player wants in the heat of the moment.  A great example is when you first encounter an enemy on your left, you might rapidly click to your right on some rocks.  You know that the rock is unpathable, but you're in a rush.  We had left this problem of "Move Towards" unsolved previously, resulting in behavior like this.

That made battles around obstacles very painful, and the cries of "PATHING" would ring out on voice chat just before round end.  Now when you click on an obstacle near a path, we fire raycasts towards the point from various angles, and look for their collisions with the obstacle we ultimately landed in.  The raycast closest to the obstacle is the one we pick, and we'll use that to find a spot nearby for your units to move.  Now you only have yourself to blame for feeding Wink

Another skill that suffers under strain for us mortals is drag selection.  Especially with units you want to arrange, like for a Conductor split, you might only be able to snag a corner of their frame when you're frantically setting it up.  Anything less than a generous selection is going to feel bad, and bugs are going to magnify that feeling.

(dotted circle indicates Doughboy will be selected)

Not only was our selection incorrect, it was solving a much harder problem than necessary.  Previously, we'd attempt to project the drag-select box on the screen into a 3D object on the ground and check if units overlapped that unit.   If you want to do this right, you’d need a kind of 3D “trapezoid” to reflect the camera’s view frustum, and that is not as simple as generating a primitive cube.  Instead, we now project the bounding box back into the screen, and do some 2D maths instead - easier and much less prone to programmer error.

(again, dotted circle indicates Doughboy will be selected)

Players expressed that The Maestros was overall a wonderful experience during our first beta weekend, and we hope to improve that further as we head closer to our Early Access launch. These changes were all made possible because of the valued feedback of our players. We hope you continue to follow us on this journey and further help shape The Maestros.

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »

The Maestros Closed Beta Weekend, May 25-27

Starting on Friday, May 25 at 2pm PT / 5pm ET, The Maestros Closed Beta Weekend 2 will begin, and run until 6pm PT on Sunday, May 27th.  That’s three days of all out multiplayer madness.

What’s a Maestros?
The Maestros is a new-fangled Action/Strategy game built by some dudes who decided they’d grown quite weary of watching the underpaid workers of various fictional universes ferry raw materials back and forth to an unidentifiable structure, and they’d really rather get on with smashing awesome robots against genetically modified creatures in an unceremonious battle of wits and skill.

But Mr. Wonka, how can I get a golden ticket?
Fantastic question, Charlie.  This time, we’ll be giving out beta keys through various sites around the web.  The best way to keep tabs on that and guarantee yourself a spot is to sign up on our website https://maestrosgame.com/signup where we’ll send out the news.  If you already received a key to the previous beta, it will still work so you’re good to go!  Keys will probably start rolling out the week beforehand, so keep your eyes peeled.

What’s new?

Ongoing Pathfinding Improvements
We heard pathfinding was seriously cramping your style last beta.  It’s a hard problem, and honestly, it’ll never be perfect, but we’re working hard to make sure it gets out of your way.

Old (Ouch)

Work in Progress (I’ll get that little guy sorted out)

Minimap Clarity
Which dots are the camps again?

New Cursors
Where is my cursor?

Unit Selection
Bugs = Bashed. I smell Conductor meta coming back.

Before (dotted circle = will select)

After (dotted circle = will select)

In-Game Settings
Seriously, that DoughBoy just beep-booped at me at 200 decibels.  Make it stop.

Sobel Edge “Inking”
We heard in-battle clarity was an issue.  Our units just blended with the environment too much. We came up with some sick cartoon-style inking to go with our robot and monster caricatures.

We are incredibly excited to play this new iteration of The Maestros with you all. Who knows, I might even make the leaderboard this time Wink  Don't forget to sign up if you're interested!

stopthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2018, 01:20:08 AM »

The Maestros is running a Closed Beta Weekend 5/25-27,  sign up to join us!

On and off for the last 5 years I’ve worked to improve grouped unit movement in The Maestros. As Dave Pottinger pointed out almost 20 years ago after his work on Age of Empires, the “pathfinding” part of movement gets all the attention, but making dozens of units follow a path intelligently is at least as important and quite difficult. I’d love to tell you about my... journey in this space.

What follows are by no means state of the art solutions. The industry’s had excellent minds on this problem for over two decades, and you and I have little hope of catching up over an afternoon coffee. So let’s focus on the nitty-gritty details of making basic pathfinding look and feel good for players under practical game constraints. A practical knowledge of 3D math is assumed, but a phD in AI is not recommended. I’d probably just upset you, honestly Wink

Goals
In RTS movement, some players want realistic, slow-rotating tanks and squads of infantry hustling together like Company of Heroes. Our game is about executing big plays in quick brawls so our priorities were “responsive over realistic,” and “direct-control over coordinated formations.” Think more Starcraft than Age of Empires.

Where We Started
UDK (Unreal Engine 3’s SDK) supports A* pathfinding in a navmesh-based space, and has pretty effective (if finicky) navmesh generation.  Unfortunately, pathfinding was implemented almost entirely in unreachable engine code which we could not modify in UDK. All in all, if I selected a single unit and right clicked a pathable location, I could expect it to get there eventually.   Both Unity and UE4 have about the same level of support today though tuned a bit better.  I thought we were pretty well covered with that. Boy, was I wrong.

Problem #1 - Stopping the Group
The next step is moving a group. If I select a few of our Doughboy units and ask them to move to the exact same location, very few of them are going to actually make it within range of the destination. At best, the others will be adjacent to those who made it. So how do they know when they’re done moving? Two clicks and we’ve already hit our first issue!

What we came up with was a sort of message-passing system. The first guy who got there was set to have reached the destination, and anybody who touched him and was also trying to get to the same place would consider himself at his destination. Then those guys could pass that message on to anybody who bumped them. We called this “transitive bumping.” This felt pretty clever, and works well for clustered groups, but still has some silly degenerate cases (e.g. if units are in a line).

Problem #2 - Moving Through the Crowd
Another issue we ran into early on was one unit being blocked by another. While UDK’s pathfinding supported creating new obstacles in the navmesh, doing it for a couple hundred units who were constantly changing their location resulted in unplayable performance. Because of this, units were always trying to move through one another instead of around.

Our solve was to allow units to apply a force to one another under certain conditions. This also needed to propagate throughout the group like our stopping messages.

A more natural looking solution might be to tell the unit to move themself out of the way (a la Starcraft 2), and then to move themselves back. In either case, determining the exact states/conditions to “push” another unit was incredibly complex and error-prone. “You can push Allies but not enemies, idle units but not attacking units.” In our case, it took ~10 unique clauses with various levels of nesting to achieve. Yikes! I’d love to find a more generic solve here.

Problem #3 - Staying in Your Lane
After our first public demo of The Maestros at GDC in 2014, I received some feedback from a mentor of mine that the game felt “messy.” Plenty of things contributed to this at the time, but the problem that was most at fault was that even simple, straight-line movements had units jockeying for position along the same path. Nobody would expect a real-life crowd to do that, and certainly not a group of military-trained robots. All of our units were still acting completely independently. When they received a single, common destination from a player’s click and tried to get there on their own fastest route, they’d often choose the same route as the guy next to them. The result was about as graceful as all 8 lanes of the 405 freeway collapsing into one lane instantaneously.

The general solution to this isn’t terribly hard. Calculate a center point for the current group, take the difference of each unit’s position from that center point, and issue a bespoke move command for each unit with their offset from the destination.

For units A, B, & C, and a clicked location (red reticle), offset each destination

That worked great for the basic case of moving a unit cluster from one open area to another, but as you’ll begin to learn in this article - most of the “general” feeling solutions have conditions where they break down. The most obvious is if you try to move next to an obstacle. As you can see below, the center point is fine, but unit C would be inside a boulder (gray box).

Another issue was that if your units were spread out and you clicked near the center, you’d expect them to collapse inwards. Using a naive offset, however, they’d generally stay put. Offsetting the destination also fails to meet expectations if your units are too spread out. For example, you’ve all your units in one cluster, but your commander (unit A) was off solo farming 2 screens away. When you issue a move to a point near the center of the cluster, you’d expect all your units, including your commander, to end up generally underneath your cursor (red reticle). In fact, none of them end up under your cursor if you apply offsets naively.

Summarizing many issues in one sentence, “There are situations where some or all units should collapse together, not maintain their offset from the group’s center.” The idea of determining who is in a group or not can sound a bit daunting, and certainly there are some complex clustering algorithms that could be applied here. My solution to this problem ended up being much simpler and has been unexpectedly effective across a huge number of scenarios. Here’s the rundown:

Borrowing language from our code, I calculate a “SmartCenter” for the group
  • Calculate the average position of all units in the group
  • Remove any units that aren’t within 1 standard deviation of that average
  • Recalculate the average position from that subset of the group
If the point we are trying to reach is within a standard deviation of the center point, I use naive independent movement. This guarantees that units will gather shoulder-to-shoulder in a tight cluster, and gives players the kind of direct control of the group shape we’re looking for in The Maestros.

If I don’t have a meaningful “Primary Cluster,” then my units are probably spread out all over the map. In this situation, I just want them to regroup as best they can. Another win for naive independent pathfinding. I detect this situation when the standard deviation for the group is larger than a particular maximum. Ideally, that maximum is relative to the area occupied by the group so I used the sum of all unit’s radii. That’s been reasonably effective.

If I have a “Primary Cluster,” but 1 or more units are more than 1 standard deviation from the group’s center, I collapse them in by giving them a destination in the direction (i.e. normal) of their offset, but only a standard deviation’s length (i.e. magnitude) away from the group’s central destination. This has the effect of “collapsing back in” and feels much more natural.

Problem #4 - Sticking Together
Overall applying relative offsets to each unit’s destination was a huge win for the “cleanliness” of movement within our game when moving in a straight line. Pathing around obstacles was still abysmal though. First, units will take their own shortest path around an obstacle, and don’t always stick together with their group. Second, our 8-lane to 1-lane traffic jam happens all over again at each intermediate point before we reach our destination (see figure b).

Not pathing together

Traffic jam on intermediate points

I sat on this problem for an embarrassingly long time without a good answer. On day one, I thought to pick 1 unit’s path, and apply the offsets to each intermediate point. This breaks down quickly when you consider that often the reason you’re pathfinding in the first place is that your going tightly around an obstacle. Applying the offsets will leave 50% of your units trying to path into a rock, and naive independent pathfinding will cause a permanent gridlock before you even get near your final destination.

My conceptual answer to this setback wasn’t terribly clever either (depicted below). I’d move the path away from the corner, about one radius width. Determining this mathematically on the other hand proved incredibly elusive to me. How do I determine whether my path is cornering close to an obstacle or far away? If I am close, is the obstacle on my left or my right? On what axis is my left or my right for a given point in my path?

At some point I was going to have to do a raycast to locate obstacle volumes. Perhaps I could try raycasting radially around each point (pictured below)? Unfortunately it was prone to missing the obstacle entirely. The accuracy of this solution scaled directly with the number of raycasts I did per point on the path, and that felt terribly inefficient.

What I really needed was the left-right axis for a given turn. The hypothesis is that the angle of the turn is telling you about where you obstacle likely is. Most of my obstacles where going to be directly inside the “elbow” of my vectors, and occasionally outside it. I hit a breakthrough when I found the axis through the following operations:
Generate the vectors for relative movement between points - For each pathfinding point B, subtract its predecessor, A, to get the vector from A -> B

For each pair of subsequent vectors, A & B, add them to get a vector C that goes from the beginning of A to the end of B

Cross C with an up/down vector to get a vector P, that bisects the area between A & B.

The vector P is the right/left axis for my turn! I check for obstacles on either side and shift my pathfinding point away from the obstacle by a little more than 1 standard deviation. The result goes from a path (green) directly on top of my obstacle, to one comfortably offset from it.

Before

After

Now, I can apply my offsets at the updated points along my path so my group can stick together as they path, and they won’t traffic jam. It doesn’t cover every situation, but in ~90% of cases we can get by without traffic-jamming. The improvement is enormous. Here’s a before & after of going around just one corner.

Before

After

Learnings
My biggest learning from doing this is that “generalized” pathfinding algorithms like A* are unlikely to be the whole movement story for your game, especially if you’re trying to coordinate a group’s movement. The second thing I learned is that complexity is truly the enemy here. Pathfinding isn’t hard because the pathfinding algorithms are complex. A tight A* implementation is easily less than a hundred lines of pretty readable code, and is perfectly serviceable for most games. Pathfinding is hard because moving multiple units in real-time and space with one another produces an incredibly large volume of scenarios, and humans have pretty specific expectations of what should happen in many of those scenarios.

The Maestros is running a Closed Beta Weekend from May 25-27. Sign up on our website to join in!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic