Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 11:20:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallKickstarter Cedaria: Blackout (Steampunk RPG)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter Cedaria: Blackout (Steampunk RPG)  (Read 1762 times)
edinwest
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2013, 06:52:43 AM »

Cedaria: Blackout is a new RPG drawing inspiration from both Steampunk and Middle-Eastern elements. It revolves around the island of Cedaria, that was up until recently an industrial hub and a tourist attraction, thanks to an ingenious machine far ahead of its time, known as the Phoenix. However, when the Phoenix broke down under mysterious circumstances, nearly the entire island plunged into darkness, the more fortunate parts relying on water wheels and coal.

The only way to fix the Phoenix is by collecting the missing parts that got lost in all the chaos, a task that will be entrusted to you as the player... but only if you wish to accept such a task. For all we know, you might just want to save your own skin. The RPG is largely a choice and consequence game that allows you to create your own adventure.

We've launched our Kickstarter a couple of days ago, and any sort of help - funding, promotion or otherwise - is very much appreciated! Check our blog or website for more information! Feel free to ask questions here or on the other sites!  Gentleman

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2007880863/cedaria-blackout
http://www.cedariagame.com/
http://cedariagame.wordpress.com/

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »

i note that in your zybourne clock game the main character is a homonym of sylus, from the actual zybourne clock game
edinwest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »

Hi Joe,

Hehe, I think that is a happy coincidence!  Gentleman
edinwest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »

Also, I wanted to give an update on our campaign updates:

We got some feedback that our video trailer was "sub-optimal" and we decided to go back and redo it and focus on the game much more. I hope the new trailer is an improvement!

New Kickstarter video on the main Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...daria-blackout

We also did an update where we added the second location reveal which is Wisteria Pier. Second location reveal, Wisteria Pier:

Here is a blurb about the location:

"Wisteria Pier did not become a city until the invention of air travel; previously it had been a place where lovers and sight-seers would come to marvel at the beauty of the wisteria plants that were dense in that particular area. Being such a high, open place, it was suitable for the establishment of the island's first air dock. Opening the place as an air dock was highly anticipated by many Cedarians, of which many attended to watch the ribbon-cutting ceremony of the place now known as Wisteria Pier..." 

On the official blog we have a couple of "interviews" with two of the characters in the game, including Josephine the mechanic and captain Silas Burcombe (inspired by Jack Sparrow/Johnny Depp) http://cedariagame.wordpress.com/

Our writer, Zen, has also penned a blog on Gamasutra to discuss how we are tackling "meaningful choice" in the game http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ZenAl...ul_Choices.php

We also have an interview with our composer, Serouj where he talks about his inspirations and his plans for the music in the game:

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »

Is there any gameplay from the game? At the beginning of the video I can see some shots that make me think it'll be an RTS game, and sorry to say but the environment is kinda ugly, you should work on your renderer settings, lightning, etc.

btw that's what I've found on your website by clicking on the 'Game' button

Game

Information about the game. News can be found to the right.
disable it or make it redirect to story page or sth

also, unless I click on the Media button the header menu is bugged (wrong font and doesn't fit in one line)

The characters look cool and they have those smiley quotes but it's not enough for me.

Hope you have some ideas on how to present your game in a better way, good luck with the campaign  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 05:46:33 PM by ANtY » Logged

edinwest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »

Hi ANtY,

I totally understand where you are coming from. However, our first focus was to get the cooperative and multiplayer aspects working. This was the biggest risk for the project, and we therefore decided to implement multiplayer first. For example we have lobby and match making systems up and running, but this does not make for a very interesting video. We are currently working on the animation and gameplay systems to be able to show off more gameplay videos, however.

To answer your question about RTS, the game will feature an isometric view with your character in the center.

As for the visuals, keep in mind this is WIP. Both myself and some of my colleagues have background from AAA productions but we are working on a limited budget. Ideally we would have polished more before showing the game externally.

Thanks for the feedback on the game website, we have focused on the Kickstarter page, but I will follow up on this tomorrow. Perhaps you will stop by in a couple of weeks?  Gentleman
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:35:47 AM »

Hi ANtY,

I totally understand where you are coming from. However, our first focus was to get the cooperative and multiplayer aspects working. This was the biggest risk for the project, and we therefore decided to implement multiplayer first. For example we have lobby and match making systems up and running, but this does not make for a very interesting video. We are currently working on the animation and gameplay systems to be able to show off more gameplay videos, however.
heh, I understand that, we've had the same approach with our game and we're just getting into the gamey gameplay after tons of time spent on lobbies, matchmaking, account management, etc.

Anyway, your responses makes me think that you couldn't wait longer with releasing the kickstarter, is that right? Why?

And surely I will be checking on it when you work on the website more Smiley

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »

i don't think it's a happy coincidence. i think steampunk is really stupid and embarrassing. go kick a football and free yourself from these awful affections.
edinwest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:49:20 PM »

Hi ANtY,
heh, I understand that, we've had the same approach with our game and we're just getting into the gamey gameplay after tons of time spent on lobbies, matchmaking, account management, etc.

Anyway, your responses makes me think that you couldn't wait longer with releasing the kickstarter, is that right? Why?

And surely I will be checking on it when you work on the website more Smiley

Its a bit complicated:
- the game is non-profit and all donations will go towards finishing and improving the game
- the game is partially funded through donors
- we have a set deadline for when the project should be finished, and we need to plan now for which feature to include and cut
- decisions on the scope of the project will be made right after the Kickstarter concludes

If you have not done so already, I encourage you to check out the article from our Lebanese writer which discusses our take on meaningful choice and how we are using a conflict mediation/transformation as a basis for our character designs, quests/missions etc
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ZenAl...ul_Choices.php   Gentleman

edinwest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »

Some more updates,

Our Kickstarter video has gotten a face-lift and now features ingame footage], check it out
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2007880863/cedaria-blackout

We also have a new video that talks about the dialogue system

Last but not least a batch of pre-alpha screenshots

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »

now your KS page looks tons better, good job!

MrPhil
Level 0

Mr. Phil Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »

Looks good.  Just thought I'd mention, you could get some cheap and fast voice over for you movie here: http://voicebunny.com/

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic