Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 10:39:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallBurning Blue: Turrican inspired space shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Burning Blue: Turrican inspired space shooter  (Read 414 times)
benthepoet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:09:43 PM »

Hey guys,

I present to you my love song to the NES-era, Burning Blue. I started out on this project a few months ago to create a space/sci-fi shooter that tries to capture that retro feel.

The premise is you're part of a boarding party. A level starts off with a boss fight (shmup). This opener if you will is where you're actually weakening the ship in order to be able to board it. Once you've done that you enter the real meat of the level which is the interior of the ship. You have to make your way the various sections of the ship (hangar, engine room, barracks, terrarium) in order to reach the bridge and destroy it (after facing off with the captain of course).

Features:
  • All art is done using the NES palette (64 colors yeah!)
  • Destructable walls (it wouldn't be a boarding party if you couldn't blast through doors/walls)
  • Hidden power-ups
  • 3 - 4 weapon modes (similar to what's done in Super Turrican)
  • 3 - 5 levels (depending on how much time I have)
  • 2 - 3 minibosses per-level in addition to the end-level boss

I'm primarily inspired by the gameplay of Turrican. Hence large environments that are linear in design but still have room for a little exploration. Below is a little footage of what the first level opening looks like at the moment (about 60% done).

maugiub
Level 0

SYS 64738

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:08:29 AM »

Interesting, but how I would have preferred the beautiful "Turrican II" Amiga-style graphics... Anyway best wishes for your project! Wink

Mauro Giubileo
SmashGrid Developer
http://www.giubileocreations.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic