Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411660 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 02:45:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSTWG IX: Witch Hunt! [GAME OVER: WITCHES WIN]
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSTWG IX: Witch Hunt! [GAME OVER: WITCHES WIN]  (Read 43207 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »

The gentleman icons are gone! Shocked

Nice game Garthy, though I didn't quite understand what made me get a false positive on hroon. Do everybody have that chance, or did something really make it more likely for me? Besides, I had 2 false positives, despite you saying I had increased chance of conclusive results in both investigations. Huh? That pissed me off a bit (as well as the guild expelling) but I guess I was just unlucky. Also, you did an awesome job on the massive posts. Beer!

My apologies hroon, I was acting on my best intents. Just that although my role allowed me to investigate a lot with better chances, my luck would have none of that.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2008, 09:35:10 PM »

Melly:

Yes, you had an investigative bonus, which increased your chances of getting a conclusive result (normal was 20% plus subobjective bonus, you got +10% on top of that). However, your odds of getting a false positive (once you got a conclusive result) were still the same as everyone else- ie. everyone had a chance.

Investigations are inaccurate but clear, visions are accurate but confusing.

The Guild expel happened as your influence got too low as a Guildmaster- Guildmasters start with extra influence and lose it roughly twice as fast if they go against the crowd or displease their Guild (and doing both is going to decimate it).

Gainsworthy suffered a similar fate, albeit a little slower- false positives and losing too much influence.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 29, 2008, 06:39:02 AM »

Ah, that explains the false positive. After all, I was an expert.
hroon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 29, 2008, 01:03:12 PM »

No bad feelings Melly, I had to make a gamble on my last day as I was confronted with my imminent death by burning. If you would have been a wolf not only would my reputation be cleared but I would also have known that Chutup is the same as you from Inane's information.

The game was maybe the best werewolf games I played so far. It would have been even more awesome to further infiltrate the witches but my plans were brought to an abrupt end. I wonder, could I have joined a coven under disguise? Before my death I sent all my information to my witchhunter brother McAndrews, but sadly he disappeared and could not use them later on.

And Garthy, your writing is excellent and really brings the game to life. There were some genuinely funny moments and I enjoyed every bit.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: August 29, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »

This is why I like the postmortems- it lets me know what was going on behind the scenes. A lot of the crazy moves I saw during the game make a whole lot more sense now with the additional context. Smiley

Gainsworthy:

Only against the supernatural. Wink Yes, you had the same risk of false positives as everyone else, except against Abominations (where you were flawless). Your bonus only kicked in against werewolves and witches, and your perfect results worked only against abominations.

hroon:

Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the kind words. Smiley

Re the coven in-disguise thing, I had actually considered it originally, but ruled it out as too much for everyone to absorb at once. I decided to make no mention of it and consider it as a passive ability if someone tried to form a coven with a Witchhunter. I was thinking perhaps of allowing McAndrews's character to infiltrate, since his voodoo background and visions made his character more suited to the task, plus it fit his many-small-powers theme (versus your few-powerful-powers theme). It certainly would have made things very interesting when you both turned on them, given your rapid kill ability. On that subject, here's what would have happened if you'd guessed a witch, we'll assume Inane:

A sharp twang is heard, a crunching of gravel, and a whistling of wood through the air.

Inane's eyes spring open in surprise in the last moments of his life. A blessed hardwood crossbow bolt enters his head, and his life leaves his body.

Newton, not content with the apparent imbalance of his laws, ensures that Inane is picked up, off his feet, and thrown backward into the building behind him. His body drops to the ground, lifelessly.

Inane was a Witch.

An examination of the scene shows that a single heavy crossbow bolt was fired, with flawless accuracy. Two four-foot-long boot-shaped grooves in the ground nearby suggest that the weapon had a fair kick, and was extremely heavy.

Apart from this, there is absolutely no evidence of the assailant at all.

After each successful hit I planned to write the next one, and so forth, to ensure I always had one on hand if needed.

My assumption was that after the first hit, the witches and wolves would be terrified of this mysterious assailant who could strike anonymously.

You might also enjoy this quote from the other page- an outtake from the Xotes battle, which I had to take out as you had since been killed and McAndrews was missing. I quite enjoyed writing it, partly because my housemate loves cats and I think they are such disloyal creatures at times. Wink It was sad to have to remove it. Anyway, here it is:

hroon spies a rapid motion, and in a moment, Xotes lands before him, smiling. A circle of cats surround hroon, awaiting his command. There are two hissing cats poised on his shoulders, ready to strike. hroon makes his move.

Pointing a finger toward Xotes, he cries: "Attack!"

The cats all immediately flee the area.

Xotes raises a mighty hand, and hroon nods in acknowledgment of what he must do. He flings himself into the air, against a building and crumples down onto the ground.

Xotes turns to find McAndrews backing away.

"Attack?" he asks the gathered clouds, who do not respond.

---

In case anyone is wondering where all of these odd unused bits of story text came from: I generally wrote up major events ahead of time, and then tweaked them to match the context when they were needed. If anyone goes for a storyline-heavy game in the future, I highly recommend this, because there will be times you need to make a fast post, and if you're not pre-prepared, you'll either have to rush it or risk botching it. The only downside is that you'll have some unused text at the end, but you can always use the postmortem to post it anyway, so it isn't wasted. Smiley
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: August 29, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »

hroon spies a rapid motion, and in a moment, Xotes lands before him, smiling. A circle of cats surround hroon, awaiting his command. There are two hissing cats poised on his shoulders, ready to strike. hroon makes his move.

Pointing a finger toward Xotes, he cries: "Attack!"

The cats all immediately flee the area.

Xotes raises a mighty hand, and hroon nods in acknowledgment of what he must do. He flings himself into the air, against a building and crumples down onto the ground.

Xotes turns to find McAndrews backing away.

"Attack?" he asks the gathered clouds, who do not respond.
You already posted that one :D.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: August 29, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »

Inane: Yes, I know. Smiley See: "You might also enjoy this quote from the other page". Thought I'd repost rather than saying "go halfway down my mammoth post and look for the bit to Fifth". Which is what I originally started writing, strangely enough. Wink

And dammit, I'm proud of that bit. Wink
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: August 29, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »

I do like how you put a hint as to McAndrews power in there in the least consequential way possible. :D

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: August 29, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »

Inane: It's a very light hint, but it's more a reference to his role as a Meteorologist. As a cat trainer, hroon can be expected to be able to do something with cats, but as a Meteorologist, what can he do against a werewolf, apart from hope for good weather? I thought it would be entertaining to have one character use his role as a weapon, and have another realise that his role was useless in combat.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 29, 2008, 04:43:39 PM »

I say, Garthy ole chap, your participation in #7 was most appreciated. I dare say we could use your help in game numeral 10 as well! Would be quite the shame if you missed it! Gentleman
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2008, 05:48:09 PM »

GeneralValter:

Well, that game was certainly fun, and I'd love to play, but real-world circumstances may get in the way for me somewhat this time around. If I did play, whilst I wouldn't be inactive, I certainly wouldn't be as active as I was in VII. Probably easier to assume I won't be playing, but I'll definitely be reading. I'm quite interested in how chutup's refugee mechanic will work in a real game.

---

Anyway, for anyone reading this thread who hasn't joined chutup's game yet, please do so before he runs out of spots. Smiley Link here:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2711.0
McAndrews
« Reply #331 on: August 30, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »

Sorry guys that I left the game so early.  I kinda had to become a college student for the first time.  That cut into my free time. 
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic