Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411667 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 08:58:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames you always go back to
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Games you always go back to  (Read 24050 times)
ImaginaryThomas
Level 1

Reor, Creo, Incito

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2008, 06:59:57 AM »

Everyone has them, what are the games despite how many times you've beaten them or how frustrated they make you you always go back to them.

Star Control 2 I always run out of fuel in some unheardof point in space and get killed by those crystal guys but that's never stopped me from trying again every couple of months.

Nethack Never gets old. a few times a year I go full force for a week or two.

Disgaea 1/2 Beautiful games with more than a lifetime worth of secret places, bosses and items

Annnnnd go.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:01:13 AM »

Star Control 1 - While I respect the opinion that part 2 was superior, I love the strategy games because they're small and yet each one feels relevant, plus the editor rocked. I still believe this games needs to be brought up to date, for the children.

That's about it. I've kinda out grown everything else.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »

Parappa the Rapper. Ditto for Gitaroo Man and Rock Band. Music games in general have a huge amount of replay value for me.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »

The Fallout games Beer!
Also Planescape, but I've never actually beaten it.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »

Neverwinter Nights.

Europa Universalis 3.

Soul Calibur 2.
Ragzouken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »

The first Command and Conquer game, it's one of the first computer games I played and I have a lot of memories playing it with my brother. I love everything about it. Great music, cut scenes, sound effects, graphics.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »

Powder,

Bauns.

Gnarf
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:51:37 PM »

Maybe like Super Mario World and DooM. River City Ransom.

Been a bit like that with Quake and Gridrunner++ too, but I didn't get hold of those before like last year, so it's a bit hard to tell so early.

Possibly stuff I'm forgetting because it's been longer since I've last played it and so on.
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:55:09 PM »

Sports
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition (SNES) - Turbo is epic. He's on fire!! Plus you can play as Bill Clinton.
Tecmo Bowl (NES) - beats every Madden game ever.

Side Scroller
Sunset Riders (SNES) - Never have beaten the game yet, I always get so close.
Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team (SNES) - Ditto. The speeder bike levels are so much fun to play with a friend.
Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars! (PC) - I've beaten this game literally around 100+ times. I always go back and get flooded with nostalgia.

FPS
Halo 3 (XBox 360) - Splitscreen multiplayer.
CounterStrike 1.6 (PC) - Fun to play with friends who also suck as much as I do. We don't follow the map objectives, just try to kill each other in funny ways. Hostage maps are the best for this.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:55:34 PM »

Phantasy Star 4

Rocket Knight Adventures

Gunstar Heroes

Anything else by Treasure
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »

X-Com
Link To The Past
Quake 2

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

Disgaea 1/2 Beautiful games with more than a lifetime worth of secret places, bosses and items

Also, Fallout 1/2 never really get old for me.

Likewise for System Shock 2.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:24:25 PM »

Dwarf Fortress
X-Com - UFO Defense
C&C - Red Alert 2 (I like more Starcraft, but for occasional playing RA2 is better)

But I rarely replay games, my "to play" game list is huge.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

Dweller
It's a free phone roguelike. Perfect bus entertainment.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

Metal Storm (NES)

Robotron (via Mame Arcade)

Super Mario World

Doom 1

Contra (NES)

I've been generally playing on my Mame arcade lately when I'm at work, and I'm playing A LOT of Legend of Zelda : Link's Awakening DX on my PSP via emulation.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 08:47:55 PM »

I recently went back and replayed Terranigma, which was an old favorite, only to realize that it was poorly paced and had collision bugs, a horrible translation, several glaring graphical errors and an extremely stupid story. How did I not realize this before?

To be fair, I discovered similar things about Final Fantasy IV a few months ago, but Final Fantasy VI? Still gold.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 10:40:22 PM »

Ocarina of Time I play through once a year, usually.

qubodup
Level 1

icons?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 12:58:15 AM »

Tremulous, I just love building my bases while everything dies around me. Also no other online FPS had the least idiots (I'm usually the one who talks the most crap.)

I also sometimes come back for Nexuiz, because no other shooter allows such speedy CTF fights.

I had this thing with Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment - I had to play them again and again - but I'm through with it.
JammingJim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 01:06:20 AM »

Another shout for Xcom - the first game, still so darn awesome and nothing has come close since(yeah none of the new UFO titles).

The original Sid Meier's Pirates(Gold version on PC) - the new console version was...well a little too console for me. I still have never made it into the top three ranks for this game, I think it must be impossible!

Daggerfall - I built an old spec pc just to run this(and avoid the bugs/crashes as much as possible). I've been playing the same game on and off for over 5years now!! And those dungeon crawls are brutal!

Elite Frontier First Encounters - looks like a dog but runs fine on the Daggerfall PC, probably still one of the best free roaming space games around.

Fallout - I want Dogmeat to survive! he keeps dying!

Alternate Reality - The City+Dungeon(Atari 8bit version). I Play it on an emulator on PC these days - it's got something about it, a real challange check it out:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69356

Darklands - just so big and really hard, but its old and clunky and promises so much, so I keep at it, and keep dying lol:
http://www.darklands.net
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 01:19:35 AM by JammingJim » Logged
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 02:31:43 AM »

Alternate Reality - The City+Dungeon(Atari 8bit version). I Play it on an emulator on PC these days - it's got something about it, a real challange check it out:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69356
FUCK YEAH that game has the best music. I remember being scared shitless watching my dad play it. It gave me nightmares :D

As for my own choices...

Soul Calibur series - awesome fun with housemates

Team Fortress Classic - sadly more and more difficult to find people who aren't bots these days Sad

Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle - I go back and complete these every few years. Masterpieces.

Advance Wars series - another one with good replay value

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX - I'm just about to go wake the Wind Fish now Cool (I also plan on going through Oracle of Ages/Seasons when I finish, and I have been known to go through other Zelda games)

olücæbelel
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic