Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411663 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 04:42:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralNew Browser released today
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: New Browser released today  (Read 10502 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »

This is really good news. Like you, folks, I also fear Google for the huge corporation that it's become, but this is a good push for browsers in general. They're doing a lot of things right, and it's open source.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 04:41:35 PM »

this is really cool.. i like how 'streamlined' it is.. but it doesn't get in he way
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »

Yeah, I dunno.  I like my Firefox.  I've spent a lot of time getting it to do what I want, and I don't deal with change very well.

I think I'll hold out a while and see what kind of plugins and stuff come out of the open source community.  Other than that it doesn't look interesting enough to justify switching over.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »

It's faster than Firefox for sure. In fact, Firefox has seemed to get slower and slower over time. I've got a quad core and plenty of RAM, so the whole multithreading thing is good for me.

Having that said, I do have one complaint. The whole tabs-at-the-top thing. Sure, it may be structurally logical, but screw that, tabs need to be easily accessible. Okay it's only a couple hundred pixels higher, but even that counts.

Of course I can't actually use it until it catches up to Firefox in functionality. Can't imagine browsing without Adblock, mouse gestures, etc.
Mentalpatient109
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 09:37:31 PM »

Clean, solid, and extremely fast. I really like it, but I'm  sticking with Fx because I hate the way bookmarks are displayed.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »

I love it. Where is the Mac version?  Cool

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:03 PM »

I must admit I love it too  Sad

Mentalpatient109: I like the bookmarks, very easy to use and I usually make a new tab before loading bookmarks anyways. (In case you didn't notice it, the bookmark folders are in the upper right corner of the "new tab" page.)

Renton
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »

Sadly, I, too, love it. It's the fastest thing I've ever seen in years, and considering my computer, that means something.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 12:45:22 AM »

From what I've read it seems it's supposed to be all very cleverly secure and all very open source. Gathering a lot of data you don't want them to have sounds like the sort of thing they wouldn't be able to get away with. No idea though.

I thought this browser was a direct response to IE8's privacy mode, and its threat to their business of profiting on what they know about you.

That and being more web app capable - which sounds like a good thing from a browser games perspective.

Sadly, I, too, love it.

Worst thing about Google: they really are the best at what they do.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 12:54:40 AM »

Okay, I gave it a shot.  I figured what the hell.

Then I uninstalled it not ten minutes later.  Sorry, Google.  I need my customization.  And my full page zoom.  I'll check back when there are more features.

And I didn't notice that it was any speedier than Firefox.  I don't really have a lot of extensions though.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »

Just trying it out now, I love how it's so damn small and unobtrusive.

strange, the interface looked too big for me. Maybe because the one i'm using with opera is only few pixels tall

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 02:23:05 AM »

I love this thing. It's so simple. All I really miss from Firefox is StumbleUpon.

http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_Post_Not_Made_In_Chrome_Google_s_EULA_Sucks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:31:46 AM by Hideous » Logged

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:07 AM »

Google will one day rule this feeble planet with an iron fist and we will love them for it.

At least, I will. Good browser. Also, looks like I won't be posting any IP with Chrome, then. Thanks for the heads up, Hideous ol' boy.

EDIT: Holy Cow, it's tiny, too. And Unobtrusive.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 03:05:09 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 03:25:14 AM »

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

Imagine this future scenario, chrome is a huge success, everybody uses it... Technically wouldn't everybody's Intellectual Property in the world be owned by google?
Yikes, that's fucking creepy
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 03:29:19 AM »

That EULA clause is seriously evil, if it does indeed mean what we think it does. That guy from tapthehive.com said he was a lawyer, so it does seem to be the case. I don't know what the hell Google was thinking, and I hope they remove that after the beta.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 03:36:24 AM »

If it's true open source will the EULA stick to all versions?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 03:43:56 AM »

Actually, is there any more info on that I.P. thingus? I mean, is the claim legit? Because, yes,  that does have rather nasty implications. But it sounds... absurd?

EDIT: Well, I read it. There ya go, ey? They own your mind. I'm still using it, though. Prossibly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 04:17:11 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 03:50:03 AM »

It's not hard to find out. Just reinstall Chrome and read it.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 03:53:17 AM »

You don't even have to, just go here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html

In other news, I've read Chrome already has a 3% market share. That's more than Opera.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2008, 04:30:14 AM »

There's this guy in /g/ who talked to one of the chrome's guys in the official IRC channel, and he says it's just a mistake, they just use this license for all google products, it's just a misunderstanding, they will remove it.

I know this is pretty shady, but probably, possibly, maybe it's true.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic